Seat Slope Mod

Just had a look at this.  🤔  with seat support in lower position,  forward and seat front tab in high, there is movement, so washers could support in raised position but seat doesn't look right.

With seat support in high position,  towards rear, seat is tight with no movement. Mine looks nothing like photo. Looks all on the piss.  What am I missing here.?

12 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

Just had a look at this.  🤔  with seat support in lower position,  forward and seat front tab in high, there is movement, so washers could support in raised position but seat doesn't look right.

With seat support in high position,  towards rear, seat is tight with no movement. Mine looks nothing like photo. Looks all on the piss.  What am I missing here.?

Mine is in the high position, but I also put washers under the gas tank bracket (between the bracket and frame) which lifts the rear of the tank and thus the seat's front tab slot is higher too.  Then washers under the plastic bit to support the seat at its new height.  Did a 450km run today, and the 4mm extra height on the front of the seat was noticable and *very* welcome.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 3

16 hours ago, Soullancer said:

Just for me so I don't do anything stupid 😉 

How much do those 4.25mm fender washers raise the whole thing? As I don't know that type of washer.

They're 4.25mm thick, so they raise the front of the seat 4.25mm  :) a stack of thinner washers would do the same, there's nothing special about these, they're just thick washers.  I've got iirc 2mm washers raising the rear of the tank as well, the thick washers wouldn't fit without the rear of the tank lifted a bit too.

6 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

They're 4.25mm thick, so they raise the front of the seat 4.25mm  :) a stack of thinner washers would do the same, there's nothing special about these, they're just thick washers.  I've got iirc 2mm washers raising the rear of the tank as well, the thick washers wouldn't fit without the rear of the tank lifted a bit too.

LoL, ok! I was thinking to myself that assuming the height was 4mm was kind of stupid, what could 4mm possibly do in terms of making a difference

😐 A hell of a lot I guess when I hear you guys

Edited by Soullancer

21 hours ago, Soullancer said:

LoL, ok! I was thinking to myself that assuming the height was 4mm was kind of stupid, what could 4mm possibly do in terms of making a difference

😐 A hell of a lot I guess when I hear you guys

The upside is it has minimal impact on the "in practice" seat height - 4mm at the front, none at the back, so only 2mm higher in the middle - but the difference to the slope of the seat is surprisingly noticeable.  You "roll forward" much less, which is really welcome particularly when braking.  Makes sitting further back on the seat a fair bit more comfortable too.

If you want to go higher, you definitely can if you follow my tip above re: putting washers under the gas tank bracket to lift the rear of the tank up even more, and that'll buy more room to lift the front of the seat.  But I found the 4mm was really adequate - I'm happy with where it is now.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:21 PM, Wintersdark said:

The upside is it has minimal impact on the "in practice" seat height - 4mm at the front, none at the back, so only 2mm higher in the middle - but the difference to the slope of the seat is surprisingly noticeable.  You "roll forward" much less, which is really welcome particularly when braking.  Makes sitting further back on the seat a fair bit more comfortable too.

If you want to go higher, you definitely can if you follow my tip above re: putting washers under the gas tank bracket to lift the rear of the tank up even more, and that'll buy more room to lift the front of the seat.  But I found the 4mm was really adequate - I'm happy with where it is now.

Outstanding!

Nice hack, I'll be doing this tomorrow.  I'm thinking this will enhance the seat reshaping I did a few days ago.  I cut away about a half inch of foam from the rear area (can't go much further down before hitting the pan back there).  Another few mm's to the front?....great, every little bit helps!

Edited by 2WHLOZK

Did the mod today.  Raised the tank up almost 5mm, same with the frame.  The plastic adjuster plate seems flexible enough to handle the bending.  I wasn't sure if the tank bolts would still be long enough, but they are.  Got plenty of purchase even after losing 5mm of their length.  

My seat didn't have any vertical wiggle room at the front like others have stated, but that didn't seem to matter.  Will ride tomorrow to gauge the improvement, but along with reshaping the foam, I should have almost no slope now.  Yay!

• Thumbsup 4

Yes please let us know the outcome. I'm using an air hawk seat cushion pushed up against the tank with minimal air which does a fair job at eliminating the slope and making the stock seat more comfortable but love the idea presented here and wish to try. :) Thanks guys. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:24 AM, KillEmAll4u said:

Yes please let us know the outcome. I'm using an air hawk seat cushion pushed up against the tank with minimal air which does a fair job at eliminating the slope and making the stock seat more comfortable but love the idea presented here and wish to try. :) Thanks guys. 

Just got back from 3.5 hour ride, with only a quick stop for gas.  No complaints, I could probably do 5-6 hours without an actual break.  

Before any seat mods, within 15 minutes I was already uncomfortable.  After ~ 40 minutes all I wanted to do was get off the bike.  The longest I would ride was 1.5 hours, and for the last half of that I couldn't wait to get home.  No joy in that.

Today's ride was the first time I felt like the bike was an extension of my body, not focusing on being uncomfortable the whole time.  

Now I just need to install my Booster Plug that came today!  Cheers.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

@Wintersdark - So I have tried this mod a few times over the last couple of weeks and absolutely cannot get it to work.  I have tried many different configurations with different position of the seat height tray and washer thicknesses only to give up in frustration, the seat always ends up sitting about 20mm back from the tank and extremely wobbly. 

And then it dawned on me that I am trying this on the older FJ09... Doh! (slaps forehead) I feel so dumb now.  🙄

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, betoney said:

I have tried many different configurations with different position of the seat height tray and washer thicknesses only to give up in frustration, the seat always ends up sitting about 20mm back from the tank and extremely wobbly. 

And then it dawned on me that I am trying this on the older FJ09

@betoney... I have tried this just for giggles on my 2015 with 2 x 2mm fender washers. 4mm rise in the front will create a gap between the tank and seat, but 20mm sounds like a lot. Seat snapped in same as before for me. The 4mm was actually to much. Might try just a single washer next. Seat in lower position, so maybe there is a difference there.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, piotrek said:

@betoney... I have tried this just for giggles on my 2015 with 2 x 2mm fender washers. 4mm rise in the front will create that gap between the tank and seat. Don't forget to raise both the tank AND the front of the seat tray. Seat snapped in same as before for me. The 4mm was actually to much. Might try just a single washer next. I am working with the lower seat position, so maybe there is a difference there.

Yes, very first thing I did was put a 2mm washer under the tank bolts.  I tried it with the seat tray in the low position and then the high position and with different thickness spacers under the front of the tray. 

I will try it again with lower spacers under the front of the tray. 👍  I want to keep using the low seat tray position.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***