Seat Slope Mod

6 hours ago, Shizzle said:

What thickness and diameter washers are you guys using?

I used the wheel weights which measured at 4.75mm thick and shimmed the tank with three thin washers on each bolt/screw which were very close to 4.75mm.  I rode the bike 100 miles today and it was decent.

Edited by whisperquiet

4 hours ago, Shizzle said:

So I looked at doing this today and it's a no go for me. As soon as you start to lift up on the rear of the tank it starts to pull away and distort the side plastic pieces and creates an unsightly gap between the bottom of the tank and these side plastic pieces. I'm gonna wait and see how the new Bagster seat works by itself. 

I only raised the seat front by 4.75mm........which is slightly less than 1/5” and I did not experience any side panel distortion or gap.

Post up a picture of the Bagster seat when you get it.

Edited by whisperquiet

So I'm back from my 4 hour ride, about 240 miles, and all I can say is that I've never ever had a seat be more comfortable on any bike I've ever owned. In order, a Versys 650, an FJR, a Connie with a Corbin, and an Aprilia Capo 1200. None of them left me without sore buns after 2-3 hours. Today I rode and never even got the tingles. I realize the seat is basic, but something about the breadth and new angle, and my leg position, relieves pressure on my pelvis and buns in a way that works for me. And I found I stayed where I wanted to stay on the seat, and was neutral in my body position. I'm done fiddling with this seat and now know I can ride it on my longer 12 hour trips with no problem. 

• Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, flyfifer said:

Salish900,

Forgive me but WHAT seat have you got ???

Just the stock model. Really don't quite understand why it fits me so well, like I explain above, but it does. Worst seat I've ever had was a Corbin the previous owner put on my Connie. Damn seat was hard as a rock. I did a long trip up into Canada (back when those good people allowed us rednecks and science bashers into their country) and had to purchase a little inflatable seat to put under my arse so I could not wince with pain after 30 minutes. But my stock Aprilia Capo seat was pretty good, and yet this Yamaha seat/foot peg position just fits me the best, now that the seat is raised and flattened. 

• Thumbsup 2

On 10/18/2020 at 12:33 PM, PhotoAl said:

I'll have to say its not a bad seat.  However seats fit different people differently and what is ok to one is bad to another.  IMO a CBR600RR or a BMW F800GT with a stock seat are both way worse than the Tracer GT.  I picked my Tracer GT up and immediately put 2,400 miles on it in 7 days.  That includes a 500 mile day all with the stock seat.  After reading so many comments about the seat was surprised that it wasn't bad - I had my AirHawk on it.  Would I would like a more comfortable seat yes but its not as high on my list as other things.  Will have to try some of the seat leveling mods.

Tracer GT is built to a price point and some things could be nicer but for the price its an incredible bike.  

Wow, you didn't even do the 600 mile break-in period?!?! Brave guy ;)

LOL no I'm not brave, actually stayed in the area and put 600 miles on the bike in 3 days, had the service done and then headed home.

On the seat topic something I noticed about my BMW comfort seat which I bought 8 months after I purchased the bike.  I was used from eBay but didn't show much wear.  At first was quite firm and while better than the standard seat was not that great.  However after about 1,000 miles it became much better.  Guess it needed to be broken in or sat in or whatever but wound up being a seat that with an AirHawk I could ride all day without issue.

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2020 at 4:24 AM, Lawrance said:

Is this with the seat in the lower or higher position? 

Thanks Lawrance 

Sorry, I missed this question.  Probably too late for an answer, but:

Either.

I run in the high position, but it doesn't matter, the mod will affect either position equally.  This is because lifting the rear of the tank lifts up the point where the front of the seat locks into the bike.  

• 3 weeks later...

Great tip Rovari. I've been out with a shoulder injury for 3 months and.... winter. At least the weather is getting better and the white stuff melting. I'll have to revisit the seat.... though i'm now leaning towards a T7 since selling my WR and thinking about reducing to only 1 bike to do it all. 

On 3/6/2021 at 8:09 AM, Rovari said:

This worked perfectly! Thanks @Wintersdark & @smurph 

I noticed in the comments some were concerned about the tank plastic deforming or not lining up. A tip, before lifting the tank, carefully pull back on the plastic trim where the velcro secures it to the tank. Once the tank is secured there is enough give in the plastic to lift up on it while pushing it into the velcro. This allows the plastic trim to re-align with the tank.

EDIT: After playing around a little bit more it looked like there was an opportunity to lower the back portion by about a 1/4" (6.5mm) by removing the rubber bumpers at the back of the drivers seat. I am doing this with the touring seat and did not look at the stock seat to see if it too has the back bumpers. I just replaced the bumpers with some stick on pieces of velcro (loop) side for cushioning. This has added even more levelness (word of the day) to the seat...feels better. Hope this helps. Cheers!

IMG_9741.jpeg

IMG_9742.jpeg

IMG_9743.jpeg

IMG_9744.jpeg

Looks promising.  Thanks.  I assume the seat is still being held well, and not wiggly?  Do you have your seat in the tall or low mode?