Seat Slope Mod

Just back from my first 45m ride on my new-to-me 2019 Tracer GT.  PO had put on a bunch of accessories, including a Bagster seat.  I'm coming from an ST1100 with a Russell Day Long custom seat that was good for 10 hour days on week long trips so the Bagster was a bit of a disappointment, as was the forward pitch of the seat.

So off with the seat came when I got home and I moved it from the high position to the low position and this seemed to level it out a bit, does this make sense?  I'm going to have to get out my level and get some baseline measurements.

I noted the washers under the gas tank mount trick + the stacked washers on the front pad to raise the front of the seat up to level it out. By looking at the pictures and the descriptions it seems that people are taking the play out of the front tab but, in general the front is in the lower position when the rear is set on low and the front tab is in the upper position when the rear is set on high.  Has anyone just left the gas tank mounts alone, put adjuster in the lower seat position, then put the front tab in the upper position but used a much large spacer in the front and let the rear of the seat sit on the pads.  Hope this doesn't sound too confusing, but it would raise the front by a good half inch.

EDIT............ I just tried this out and when the seat is locked in place in the lower position the front tab barely engages and there is a noticeable gap........ so I'll try out the washer trick and will see how it works.

Edited by ReSTored

Based on Rovari's suggestion, I removed the rear two bumpers and replaced them with something close to this

Scotch 1/2 in. Clear Round Self-Stick Rubber Bumpers from Home Depot. 

I also removed my Air Hawk and I am no longer having issues with the sloping seat.  I have it in the low position and it is good and tight, not loose at all.

I'm so glad I found this thread. The seat turns what I know is a great motorcycle into something that's not very fun to ride.  An air hawk helps, but only delays the time to excessive monkey butt. I'm going to try this mod first before I spend on an aftermarket seat. I'll let folks know how my experience goes. 

Thinking about cutting down those rubber bumpers on the back of the seat rather than replacing them with something else. 

On 3/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, kurtfriedrich said:

Looks promising.  Thanks.  I assume the seat is still being held well, and not wiggly?  Do you have your seat in the tall or low mode?

This is basically what I did on page 6...works fine for me.  It’s still not as good in low as it is in high, but my legs are long enough so...I keep it in high.

I just don’t like the idea of putting washers where they don’t belong.  I can see why some have tried it though. 

Here's my version. 

I found these electrical rubber grommets while poking around the hardware store. Super glue just happens to bond rubber nicely, so I glued the grommets to the front rubber stoppers on the seat.

I took off the rubber stoppers on the back of the seat and put some Alien Tape on there for a little cushion.

To shim the rear of the gas tank I used a nylon washer and one stainless steel washer, about the same thickness as the grommets.

I have yet to try it out, but it feels better just sitting on it.

I can easily adjust from the low position to the high position.

The bottom pic is what it looks like in the low setting after the mods. 

Seatmod1.jpg

Seatmod2.jpg

Seatmod3.jpg

Edited by CJ3cyl
add pic

20 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

Between the front of the seat and the tank. I just dont get why they didn't make it meet the tank like the stock seat.

Hmmm...I honestly don't find that to be too offensive but I get your point.

Has anybody tried the Seat concepts foam/cover kit?  They have great seats and seat kits too...

On 4/11/2021 at 4:09 PM, CJ3cyl said:

Took a ride today.  It's not the solution, but it is better. What I think may be an all day solution would be the Air Hawk with the slope mod. 

I have an air hawk, and I think it makes the slope worse.  Looking at your mod, for the gas tank shim, I am worried there is not enough thread length on the stock bolts for both the metal and nylon washer. I assume you are using the stock bolts?

thanks