Front brake caliper bolts

2 hours ago, WKE002 said:

is there a link/web to download the parts for Torque Settings especially non engine/camshaft build. 

I’m not fully clear what you’re asking @WKE002, but if you need a list of torque values, this is a good place to start.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

On 6/27/2020 at 8:03 AM, Toddtr said:

I have never owned a torque wrench and probably never will. I do my own wrenching and have never had any issues with anything that I’ve ever messed with. Now I haven’t rebuilt a complete motor before but have replaced one before with another. Do most of you really torque everything to exactly what the book says? Maybe I’ve been lucky all these years but I don’t see me purchasing one unless it’s absolutely required. 

Yes. Especially if the hardware is attached to wheels and or brakes. There is a reason for torques. Not to mention it's a motorcycle so you only have two wheels holding you up. If you've gotten away with German torque, more power to you.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, johnmark101 said:

There is much that goes into determining a torque value for a particular fastener.  Application, load bearing, metallurgy, thread pitch, fastener size etc.  But that rear axle nut torque does seem awfully high per the service manual.  

Extremely way too high.  I have a Goldwing also, wheel torque is 80 lbs-ft. I fasten the rear axle by feel always.  I usually have worn out a tire before I ever need to adjust the chain so it's not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us here in the rainy PNW, ACF 50 is our friend. I don't put any lubricants or anti-seize on bolts that are torqued to high values because I know this would change the coefficient of friction and don't know how much. For all the smaller, non-structural or higher torque bolts, I coat them all in ACF 50. I carefully coat my brake caliper bolt heads, with ACF 50. It's juts a general spray on everything and seems to work really well product. I also have experience using it on our sailboat to great benefit. Way worse environment than the bikes, and works well on engine components and other near the bilge items. 

On 6/27/2020 at 4:49 PM, johnmark101 said:

There is much that goes into determining a torque value for a particular fastener.  Application, load bearing, metallurgy, thread pitch, fastener size etc.  But that rear axle nut torque does seem awfully high per the service manual.  

And it all gets thrown out the window when the lawyers get involved.

That axle bolt will be fine at 60, maybe even 40 lb. ft.

I removed both calipers last night in order to remove the front wheel for balancing and found two of the caliper bolts were corroded like the OPs.  All four caliper bolts were cleaned up (threads also) with my bench grinder’s wire wheel, bolts shafts lightly greased (clean,dry threads), reinstalled, and torqued to spec.  I have seen many a fastener that looked the same ...... cleaned them up and reinstalled with no further problems.