Hello from So Cal

So hello from California - don't judge.  I got back into riding a couple of months ago from a 10 plus year hiatus.  I thought I would take a different approach and I went with a 650 Vstrom.  So I picked up a 17 with 400 or so miles on it.  The more I ride the bike, the more I really enjoy it, in fact, it is a very fun bike to ride.  It is just that....well, the power can be a bit improved.  It will move and it does go, I mean really, how much power do you need?  Right?  Apparently I might need a bit more actually.     I've pretty much dialed in the Strom for my comfort.  Put on some handle bar risers, crash bar, bash box, top case, lowered the pegs and moved them a bit forward, new Seat Concept seat just got here yesterday, that is going to help a lot.  

Then I saw a Tracer at a show room a week ago. And since then, I've researched, read, watched videos, been by a few showrooms, walked away, hell I even put the strom up for sale at a ridiculous high price because I haven't committed.  I'm torn I tell you.   I'm probably going to lower it tomorrow and get serious about this.  

But, at 54, my knees aren't too great, and I am worried about the riding position on the 900.  The pegs are a little farther back than the Strom and a bit higher, and I know that will give me some issues on a long ride.  But, I really want to switch it up to the 900 power plant.  Honestly, I'm driving myself nuts.  

This site has already been very helpful with looking at some comfort upgrades.  Seems that relocating the pegs is doable and some highway pegs would solve that issue.  And of course a new seat.  That thing is rock hard.  I really would like to park the strom next to a tracer and do a side by side comparison.  Anyway, nice to be here.  Great site you guys have.  

I guess I should wash my bike.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum @Bandituki

We’re obviously a bit biased around here, but I genuinely think you would really enjoy the Tracer.   It’s a great all-around bike, with a lot of character (the CP3 motor is the star of the show), and a well-rounded mix of comfort and sport.  

Unless you’re really tall, I think you’ll be fine with the stock peg placement.   I’m 6’1”, 55 years old, and my knees definitely show the scars of my youth.  Even so, the stock peg location works well for me...  I run the seat in the tall setting, which nets a bit more legroom.

Keep us posted.   And good luck selling that V-Strom...  :)  

• Thumbsup 1

61 going on 27 , 6ft tall, and the only issue I have with comfort on my tracer is a sore face from grinning so often while riding it
I have a bad neck, back, twisted femur and other daft stuff. It's more comfy than my 650 vstrom was, and I feel like a traitor to my dear beloved vstrom saying that, but the tracer, hate to say this but, it shows the vstrom for what it really is, very average, and actually a bit dull. The tracer engine is brilliant, but you will need a few rides to get used to the better engine, and the things that I found most difficult to get used to was the vastly superior brakes, the engine braking and the bigger back tyre.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Stew said:

61 going on 27 , 6ft tall, and the only issue I have with comfort on my tracer is a sore face from grinning so often while riding it
I have a bad neck, back, twisted femur and other daft stuff. It's more comfy than my 650 vstrom was, and I feel like a traitor to my dear beloved vstrom saying that, but the tracer, hate to say this but, it shows the vstrom for what it really is, very average, and actually a bit dull. The tracer engine is brilliant, but you will need a few rides to get used to the better engine, and the things that I found most difficult to get used to was the vastly superior brakes, the engine braking and the bigger back tyre.

I literally joined this site looking to see if anyone had jumped from. Strom to Tracer and I came upon your post describing the transition you did. Damn you!  

I don’t know if I’m ready to say goodbye to the little fellow.  Lol. 

Thanks for the replies. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bandituki said:

I literally joined this site looking to see if anyone had jumped from. Strom to Tracer and I came upon your post describing the transition you did. Damn you!  

I don’t know if I’m ready to say goodbye to the little fellow.  Lol. 

Thanks for the replies. 

If you have any questions please just ask, I'm still getting used to my tracer, but it is a superb bike. The weather protection is far better than I expected. It's all about that engine though, it is just brilliant fun. I've not had it flat out yet, but the torque is just delicious. After my first ride on it, I wondered if I had made a mistake, but it was just because everything was so much better, it actually was just all unfamiliar. The engine braking is what will surprise you most I reckon, that and the brakes.

I did 44000 mile on my vstrom, which would have been more but for illness, and I thought it was a great bike, and I've given mine to my brother in law, who is lowering it for his shorter height, so I don't feel so bad knowing it's gone to a good home :)

and just to clarify, I am new to my tracer, I'm talking about questions relating to switching from a vstrom to a tracer :)
There are many tracer experts on here, I am not one of them.

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, Bandituki said:

But, at 54, my knees aren't too great, and I am worried about the riding position on the 900.  The pegs are a little farther back than the Strom and a bit higher, and I know that will give me some issues on a long ride.  But, I really want to switch it up to the 900 power plant.  Honestly, I'm driving myself nuts.

Welcome @Bandituki.  Think of the Tracer as a lump of clay, mold-able to what YOU want it to be - all within reason of course.  Sport bike?, LD Tourer?  Lite-Adventurer?  Anything is possible with a few mods or adjustments. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, Stew said:

and just to clarify, I am new to my tracer, I'm talking about questions relating to switching from a vstrom to a tracer :)
There are many tracer experts on here, I am not one of them.

Thanks I appreciate it.  I just picked up a Yamaha V-Star that my niece gave my 16 year old son.  Just got it home.  So, I guess that can take my mind off of the Tracer for a bit, while we get this thing ship shape and ride ready.  

• Like 1