New Owner 2020 Tracer GT

WKE002

Greetings from country Malaysia. Placed my order yesterday, should get the bike sometime next weekend. a little bit about me, 

Half a century old dinosaur. after 19years old, left my scooter and got back to biking only 3 years ago, started w Harley Street 750, after 2 years, got a used 2012 Triumph Bonneville and decided to get a brand new bike, Tracer GT, supposedly to keep these bikes long term, hopefully! 

Why Tracer? Never had an adventure bike and guess it’s a DO ALL road, except hardcore scrambler road. In here, have narrow down to 650 vstrom, bmw f850gs. 650 am afraid my andrenalin will get bored as triumph hp is almost the same. F850gs here in our country is about usd2,500 more(fully imported) over tracer (local assemble) , not to mention the service would be usd50-100 more for the bmw. We don’t have the Honda nc700x available else it could be a potential bike. Even Tracer 700 is not available here, hence choice of bikes options are somehow limited. 

i have not seen in person the 2020 tracer except pictures. have not even tested the GT, only did test a 2016 model. What I read from review which could be my concerned is it’s very twitchy Throttle as compare to f850gs or vstrom, will know when the bikes arrives and hope can adjust my riding to her. 

I look forward In these forum to absorb the do’s and don’t’s, first thing in my limited budget is R&G crash protectors. 

stay safe, ride safe. 

• Thumbsup 2

Welcome to the forum @WKE002. It’s great to pick up another member from outside the usual countries that buy Tracers.

There are lots of options for crash protection and it may be worth considering a bash plate for the underside if the roads are rough. I wouldn’t worry about the stories of twitchy throttles, that was mainly the earlier models.

Enjoy your ride when it arrives.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, WKE002 said:

Greetings from country Malaysia. Placed my order yesterday, should get the bike sometime next weekend.

Why Tracer? Never had an adventure bike and guess it’s a DO ALL road, except hardcore scrambler road.

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. 

One thing to know about the Tracer is, - besides the upright riding position it is NOT an adventure bike and is not advertised as one.  It 'can' go offroad (within reason) with some modifications but if you are expecting an actual adventure bike like a GS or Africa Twin, you will be disappointed. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thank You BBB, betoney..... Look forward to absorbing more input about these bike. 

Was not expecting to go off-road, many of the GS riders here bought for "show off" on the road and hardly any rider goes off road. i bought it for upright riding mainly on tarmac as 50 years old dinosaur cant afford to lean on sports bike.

Hope to clock more miles in it as my past 2 bikes are weekend ride for breakfast (20-50km),  secondly Harley,Triumph, Ducati parts (premium is what here consider) are more expensive over here than Japs bike. Before these, were  90% closing in on Honda CB1100RS and Kawa Z900RS, my worry based on my country bikes infrastructure:

1. Honda CB1100RS - official importer last bring in 2019 and 2020 is not going to bring in new bikes anymore.

2. Kawa 900Rs -  only 2018/2019, not taking in 2020 bikes AND these are based on my web reading, Kawa 900Rs even brand new or less than 10k mileage are having problem with engine/gearbox etc etc, so am not taking any chances since i will have only 1 bike in da haus. 

The market here lean more towards sports bike and adventure bike, classic modern bike are not well accepted here, likely due to same price = lesser HP/Torque. 

I will be drooling for choices if i resides in US, UK, Eur and down under.