Monimoto tracker

I’ve been using a tracking device on my Tracer for just over a year now. I’d been looking for a simple, low-cost, no installation version for a while and thought I’d give it a try.

The device is internally battery powered, so no wiring, and has a GPS circuit, SIM card and movement sensor inside. You have a separate “key” which you tuck in a pocket and operates by bluetooth. If the bike is moved whilst the “key” isn’t within bluetooth range, the alarm calls your cellphone and starts a GPS trace of the device.

It’s been very effective. If I roll the bike off the stand, forgetting to have the alarm key with me I instantly get a phone call. Luckily I haven’t had to use it in anger.

The unit is about £150, and is often on sale with vendors and the annual SIM card cost is €36.

If anyone is interested, drop me a PM and I can discuss where I hid the unit on my bike as I don’t want to post it publicly.

I have no affiliation with the company, but they just sent me a 10% discount code link which again I can send to anyone who is interested. Full disclosure, I get some extra time on my SIM card if you buy one with my discount link.

monimoto-tracker.jpg

The smart tracker for motorcycles

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 4 weeks later...

The problem with this type of device is that you are mobile network dependent. It happened so often to I traveled to areas  that had no GSM signal at all, or even within a big city, sometimes I get voice mails as people calling me cannot reach me (network traffic congestion, skyscrapers....) don't know, but happened way to often for me not having signal either within cities or in the mountains to consider a GSM based notification device