raising the fj-09 for offroad travel?

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, trevinator said:

anyone thought about raising the suspension on the fj-09 for offroad travel? i found a couple things that could improve ground clearance fairly easily i think!

rear lift dogbones

fork extensions

I like those options.  I haven't considered raising mine but have thought about installing a skid plate and getting a 2nd set of rims to quickly be able to swap to a dual sport type tire for light offroad riding.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

was just thinking, would increasing the fork length by 50-75mm increase the trail, or would that only increase by changint to a larger tire? im seriously considering raising the fj-09 a bit for more offroad prowess, but i also have a 2013 versys 650 thats paid off that im not doing anything with that im thinking could be converted to a dirt beast......

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, trevinator said:

was just thinking, would increasing the fork length by 50-75mm increase the trail, or would that only increase by changint to a larger tire? im seriously considering raising the fj-09 a bit for more offroad prowess, but i also have a 2013 versys 650 thats paid off that im not doing anything with that im thinking could be converted to a dirt beast......

If you extend the forks that far, did you you have something planned to raise the rear as well? just so it doesn't ride like a chopper?

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I'm looking to lower mine and wonder if those 'jack-up plates be used to lower the FJ-09, with the option to return to stock at will?

Yes, they are adjustable. 

"These allow the tail of the motorcycle to be lowered 25mm , stock height, or raised 25mm or 35mm"

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I would love to see what you come up with when finished.  Even an extra 1" of suspension travel or ground clearance would be beneficial offroad.

i also found these which are $150 less than the other ones i found earlier, but they say for a hayabusa. i think they would work, since the top tube is 50mm on the fj but im not sure what thread size and pitch the lower bolt is on the fj-09 cartridge. does anyone happen to know that? if its m10-1.0, then im pretty sure they would work!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
46 minutes ago, trevinator said:

i also found these which are $150 less than the other ones i found earlier, but they say for a hayabusa. i think they would work, since the top tube is 50mm on the fj but im not sure what thread size and pitch the lower bolt is on the fj-09 cartridge. does anyone happen to know that? if its m10-1.0, then im pretty sure they would work!

That looks like an interesting idea.  Unfortunately I don't know any of the dimensions or thread pitch for the parts.

😩just called a yamaha dealer and they said its an m8x1.25. i just said the hell with it and ordered the extreme creations fork extensions and dogbones! 😊 guess i'll be the guinea pig here! lol

wont gain any travel, but the ground clearance will come in handy! i didnt realize they were located in australia, so the $559 it showed was only $420 in us!

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 2

now, the next question, whats the best way to go about a longer side stand? i could always buy a used one and lengthen it a bit (which is the plan for the center stand currently). since the bike will be about 1.5" higher, im wondering if i cant get a side stand pad and epoxy a chunk of aluminum to the end of it to get the length i need? then it would also have a larger footprint for parking offroad and gain me the height i'll need.

If you are going to raise the height of the Tracer 900 for more ground clearance why not just buy a bike that is made for the purpose in the first place 🙄 or just build a Yamaha FZT900 like Stephane Peterhansel rode in a Paris Dakar which had a bored out FZ750 engine

Edited by littlebruv

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, trevinator said:

now, the next question, whats the best way to go about a longer side stand? i could always buy a used one and lengthen it a bit (which is the plan for the center stand currently). since the bike will be about 1.5" higher, im wondering if i cant get a side stand pad and epoxy a chunk of aluminum to the end of it to get the length i need? then it would also have a larger footprint for parking offroad and gain me the height i'll need.

I think the side stand extension is a good idea.  Maybe its because I have a shock with ride height adjustment but I find the side stand too short, my bike leans over quite a bit.  I can stick a screw driver handle under the bottom of the kickstand and the bike is still tilted over a fair bit.  I would think that a 2" extension would be a good start but maybe wait until the new parts arrive to measure so you only do it once.

• Thumbsup 1