Is your front end also skewed? (Something wrong here)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Hey L of S, I'm also going for a test ride in Bris this week. Are you going to a major dealer on the southside of Bris. Keen to hear what you think. I'll post my thoughts also.

I've been waiting for this unending rain to disappear... forecast for early next week looks good.

Will take a short ride from a local (outer SE Bris) dealer initially, as he will only allow a short test-ride of twenty minutes or so, which is no good for me.

If that satisfies, a Gold Coast dealer has promised me - no doubt thanks largely to my trustworthy choir-boy appearance - that I can take one out for pretty much as long as I like. I won't (if so doing) overdo things, but a cuppla hours of mixed riding will surely show me if this bike is for me.

Hope to do this on Tuesday 7th or Wednesday 8th... Stay tuned!

L of S ('39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
You will have to tell me who the G/C dealer is.

Will do so - after I've had my ride!
Looking like Thurs the 9th now...
L of S

You will have to tell me who the G/C dealer is.

L of S
I went for a test ride today. About 70kms in total. First part of the ride was very strange. My normal bike I ride is a 1983 super boldor. 1100,33years old. I haven't ridden a new road bike since about 1988. But after I started getting used to the bike and how light it was. I really enjoyed the ride. I couldn't believe how fast you could actually go and not realise how fast you are actually going. I did swap it to A mode for about 20kms, but changed back. I really don't need that power. Hardly any wind or buffering behind the screen on low setting. I'm 5-11 tall. And about 140kgs. The suspension was a little bit soft for me, but nothing a few more clicks or turns couldn't hurt.And I'm sure it would be fine. I really like the bike! No vibration through the bars.ill give it about a 7 out of 10. I'm sure I could get it to a 9 with a bit of sorting out.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

L of S
I went for a test ride today. About 70kms in total. First part of the ride was very strange. My normal bike I ride is a 1983 super boldor. 1100,33years old. I haven't ridden a new road bike since about 1988. But after I started getting used to the bike and how light it was. I really enjoyed the ride. I couldn't believe how fast you could actually go and not realise how fast you are actually going. I did swap it to A mode for about 20kms, but changed back. I really don't need that power. Hardly any wind or buffering behind the screen on low setting. I'm 5-11 tall. And about 140kgs. The suspension was a little bit soft for me, but nothing a few more clicks or turns couldn't hurt.And I'm sure it would be fine. I really like the bike! No vibration through the bars.ill give it about a 7 out of 10. I'm sure I could get it to a 9 with a bit of sorting out.

That's interesting, rexe! I'll be out for a short ride this arvo (Wed) and if I think it will suit me will take another one out from the Coast dealership tomorrow (Thursday) for a much longer ride - hopefully at least a cuppla hours. I'm busy getting into my three remaining brain-cells just what I need to check-out about the bike while riding it, first and foremost seat comfort. I won't dabble with riding modes yet... Your comment about the weight is interesting, as that's one of the benefits I'm looking for - yet somehow just sitting on it at the dealer's it didn't feel all that light. Under way it will probably become more apparent...

I'm a whisker shorter than you (well, maybe an inch) but only half your weight, so undoubtedly the 'out-of-the-box' suspension would more likely be set-up for closer to my weight....

Are you now committed to buying - or still considering?

L of S

• 11 months later...
Hi guys. Just got my Tracer last week, and so far. I am a pretty happy dude from Denmark, riding this awesome new model.  But something struck my eyes today, when I was out riding. It seems that the upper clamp (or the whole front) is twisted (not aligned) and therefore also the handlebar. When I am driving dead straight, the distance from gps mounting point (bolt eye) is closer to the black tube (fairing bracket) on the left, than it is on the right. Look closely at the picture. 
Also when I turn to full steering stop to right and left. I can see that when I flush the hand guards with the wind screen. That it seems that guard is closer to the screen at left, than it is when turning to the right. 
So can you guys please next time out ridning, try look down and see (eyemeasssure) If you having the same issue. You can see it right away when driving straight. 
Also at center stand. Try turn to full stop, left and right and see if there is any difference. 

2559909f3d77c4670b0ab57dec1f5c66.jpg
2dc6ffdf566a8b14c9173b56c1d2b465.jpga21e839920c20600272411fd88b5edeb.jpg

Also faring joint had a much bigger gap at the right side compared to the left. Although I have managed to adjust that, to a "compromise" But it's still not good enough. 

7fc781f2525195b53c4cf4428d3e7c6b.jpg
7c13f37747c9452e91c9136c138b0b68.jpg

Hi guys. Just got my Tracer last week, and so far. I am a pretty happy dude from Denmark, riding this awesome new model.  But something struck my eyes today, when I was out riding. It seems that the upper clamp (or the whole front) is twisted (not aligned) and therefore also the handlebar. When I am driving dead straight, the distance from gps mounting point (bolt eye) is closer to the black tube (fairing bracket) on the left, than it is on the right. Look closely at the picture. 
Also when I turn to full steering stop to right and left. I can see that when I flush the hand guards with the wind screen. That it seems that guard is closer to the screen at left, than it is when turning to the right. 
So can you guys please next time out ridning, try look down and see (eyemeasssure) If you having the same issue. You can see it right away when driving straight. 
Also at center stand. Try turn to full stop, left and right and see if there is any difference. 

2559909f3d77c4670b0ab57dec1f5c66.jpg
2dc6ffdf566a8b14c9173b56c1d2b465.jpga21e839920c20600272411fd88b5edeb.jpg

Also faring joint had a much bigger gap at the right side compared to the left. Although I have managed to adjust that, to a "compromise" But it's still not good enough. 

7fc781f2525195b53c4cf4428d3e7c6b.jpg
7c13f37747c9452e91c9136c138b0b68.jpg

Mine is worse, any fixes anyone?  
Photo:

http://imgur.com/uPetpcS

Yeh, I think I'll just have to accept it the way it is. Maybe one day when I remove the tank for maintenance I can do some more adjustment.  Some bits of the fairings are secured to the tank and some to the radiator...

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if this is helpful at all, but my FZ-09 featured the same skewed steering after I low-sided on the left side. Handlebar hit pretty hard, and I suspect it tweaked the upper triple clamp thingy. That said, I can't say that I checked that on the bike pre-crash. I only took note of it after one of my fork seals blew on the ride home, and as some here mentioned, there was a noticeable skew to my bars when riding straight ahead. Hope this helps...

I generally am here as a lurker for exhaust tips, so I apologize for butting in. :) Thanks for the great message board.

• 3 weeks later...
Forks are really easy to skew in a minor spill - on my old Aprilia Shiver you didnt even need to loosen the triple clamps to straighten them - just stick the front wheel between some railings (or if there is a bike park with front wheel holders locally even better) and give the bars a yank!

Archived