Is your front end also skewed? (Something wrong here)

I too had this "skew", noticed it independent of this thread and it bugged me that a new bike would be setup like this.  Called the dealer and they were happy to fix, took less than 10 minutes and they told me how to adjust on my own.  No charge.  As some have speculated here, they suggested that it may have been set that way at the factory.  It's not really any impact to how the bike rides or safety, just something that some ( like myself ) get fixated on and it is bothersome.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
Lars: I owe you a beverage of your choice for noting this issue. 

I was wondering if I needed to change the prescription in my glasses - the handlebars were just slightly twisted right when riding straight ahead. I wondered if it was an optical illusion created by the throttle cables on the right hand side. 

A few minutes with allen sockets and a torque wrench, loosening the lower fork triple tree bolts, axle pinch bolt and axle shaft, pumping the suspension, and torquing the bolts back up, and all is well. I'm straight. 

NOTE: I found the fasteners were too loose from the factory - they were not at the torque specified in the repair manual. Even if your bars are straight, you might want to check the torque on the front axle, axle pinch bolt, and lower and upper fork pinch bolts. 

Happy FJ ing. 

Douglas. 

Quite a number of new owners have reported something similar, myself included.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 2 months later...
I only noticed mine were off after the bar riser update was done and a few thousand miles later. so I went back to the dealer and said it wasn't their fault, yamaha wouldn't pay for it, but they could realign the entire front end for only $135.00 US.
I went to a local shop and the guy sorted it in about 10 minutes for $35.00.
will never go back to del amo motorsports in redondo beach, ca, usa, for any service again.
I'm going quite a ways away - for los angeles - to another dealer for the cam chain tensioner recall.

Every bike I've ever owned had a particular sequence to follow when reassembling the front end after tire change, bearing service or whatever. I wonder if Yamaha is not admonishing the dealers to follow the proper sequence to aligning the front end upon assembly for sale. The video posted by sodapop is a good reference but I recommend a factory manual to anyone serious about keeping their machines properly tuned end to end. If I can move up to a new Tracer GT this summer the manual will be the first item on my shopping list followed by any special tools necessary.

Archived