New to me 2019 :)

m.thumb.jpg.c0309e379401c4baa7703e7adfa02580.jpg

Well her she is!.
Picked her up today.  Drove it home and adjusted the clutch first thing as it did not engage till almost full extension.  
Then took her out for an 2 hour ride to get a good feel.  Love it.
Motor pulls so well from start to redline.  Handles nice.  Feels great.  So happy.
Next up some customization.
First in line is a tail tidy.
Then switch out the front pumpkin blinkers for something flush maybe.
This winter will come slip on and ecu tune.

Couple of things I want need to fix quick like.
The mirrors do not stay in place.  Sounds like I have to grind down a 10mm socket to get it to fit up top to tighten the nut?
Or does anyone have a better solution?

Second is the twitchy throttle.  Been reading up and I came across a thread about rotating something under the seat 1/16 inch.  But cant find it.  Anyone know what that is and is it the correct fix?  Other suggestions?

Other than that she feels great and I cant wait to get out and put some miles on her.

• Like 4

Lovely colours you've got on your new bike. Enjoy every minute on it. I'm so glad mine came with a tail tidy.

I'm new to the Tracer myself, so can't help with your queries, but I'm sure someone will sort you out shortly.

• Thumbsup 1

Twitchy throttle is pretty much a fact of life for Yamahas, but for these (2019+) it's really not bad at all, except in A mode where you need to be careful with the wrist.  STD/B both tamp down that jerk quite a lot, though.   But, that said, it's a Yamaha, and they're all like that to an extent.

Mirrors: Yeah, for both my MT07 and my Tracer, I needed to grind down a socket to get into the mirror stem and tighten it up.  I did this by hand, by sticking it in a drill and using some coarse sandpaper.  Better would be proper tools, but it's what I had on hand when I first made mine.  

I've often considered swapping the pumpkins, but... They're so.... Yamaha.  I mean, everything else on the bike is very modern and well kitted up, and those giant incandescent pumpkins that are exactly the same as every other Yamaha, I feel kind of bad about removing them.  I like the running light functionality, too, and it's tough to find LED's that'll preserve that.

Tail tidy: That's just a Tracer, right?  Not a GT?  A problem if you've got the GT like I do is that mounting a tail tidy can be very difficult with the hard bags on the bike, as the tail tidy will be in between the bags.  Just something to keep in mind if you do have them or plan to get them. 

• Thumbsup 1

10 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

Tail tidy: That's just a Tracer, right?  Not a GT?  A problem if you've got the GT like I do is that mounting a tail tidy can be very difficult with the hard bags on the bike, as the tail tidy will be in between the bags.  Just something to keep in mind if you do have them or plan to get them. 

Not a GT.  Does it matter if its a GT or not with a tail tidy?  I plan on adding side bags at some point and dont want to run into issues.

Regarding the twitchy throttle.  Maybe I just need to get use to it.  Been reading alot on the forums lately and it came up quite a bit.  If its not a simple fix then I will do nothing and wait for the ecu tune.

Speaking of ecu tune.  Who is the "go to" company for the ecu tune?  

Edited by iitywygms

• Supporting Member

@iitywygms - Congrats on the new bike, I like the color combination. 

The mirrors can be tightened on the base of the mounts with a crescent wrench, I have never had to tighten the inside nut.

One thing to check for the throttle is removing most of the cable slack, it can be adjusted on the cable itself- just a few inches from the throttle housing is an adjuster.  Start the motor and adjust the cable tighter and turn the bars side to side and make sure the idle doesn't rise or hang. 

Twitchy throttle can also be remedied with an ECU flash, I'm sure there are many who 'can' flash it for you but the 3 main vendors are 2wheeldynorks, VCyclenut and Ivan's Performance. 

I will ALWAYS be an advocate for suspension setup, at least getting the proper sag set and potentially springs with the correct rate for your weight.  The base Tracer doesn't have compression adjustment but there a few little tweaks available with spring rate and fluid viscosity.

For a slip-on, since your bike has red accents, consider the Scorpion!

Serket Taper Stainless-1200x800.jpg

Yamaha Tracer 900 Exhausts from Scorpion Red Power. Increase the power...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 minutes ago, betoney said:

@iitywygms - Congrats on the new bike, I like the color combination. 

The mirrors can be tightened on the base of the mounts with a crescent wrench, I have never had to tighten the inside nut.

One thing to check for the throttle is removing most of the cable slack, it can be adjusted on the cable itself- just a few inches from the throttle housing is an adjuster.  Start the motor and adjust the cable tighter and turn the bars side to side and make sure the idle doesn't rise or hang. 

Twitchy throttle can also be remedied with an ECU flash, I'm sure there are many who 'can' flash it for you but the 3 main vendors are 2wheeldynorks, VCyclenut and Ivan's Performance. 

I will ALWAYS be an advocate for suspension setup, at least getting the proper sag set and potentially springs with the correct rate for your weight.  The base Tracer doesn't have compression adjustment but there a few little tweaks available with spring rate and fluid viscosity.

For a slip-on, since your bike has red accents, consider the Scorpion!

Scorpion it is!.

My mirrors dont move at the base.  I tried messing with the lower nut but it does not help in my case.

Thanks for the throttle cable suggestion.  👍  I will look at that.

I do want to set the suspension.  Is there a suggested setting for a 200 pound guy like me with no luggage?  I looked at the rear shock and its set right in the middle right now.  I know its best to sit on the bike and measure but a quick and dirty until I do that would be cool.

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, iitywygms said:

I do want to set the suspension.  Is there a suggested setting for a 200 pound guy like me with no luggage?  I looked at the rear shock and its set right in the middle right now.  I know its best to sit on the bike and measure but a quick and dirty until I do that would be cool.

It's best to go through the process of measuring sag, Google will give you many, many articles and Youtube will help as well.  Sag results and spring preload will tell you if you need heavier or lighter springs.

The rebound damping (clicker) setting is more set to feel and is very subjective, if you add/tighten damping the 'bounce' will slow down.  Depending on how you ride, you might want to increase or decrease some damping to get it comfortable to YOU.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Twitchy throttle is pretty much a fact of life for Yamahas, but for these (2019+) it's really not bad at all, except in A mode where you need to be careful with the wrist.  STD/B both tamp down that jerk quite a lot, though.   But, that said, it's a Yamaha, and they're all like that to an extent.

Mirrors: Yeah, for both my MT07 and my Tracer, I needed to grind down a socket to get into the mirror stem and tighten it up.  I did this by hand, by sticking it in a drill and using some coarse sandpaper.  Better would be proper tools, but it's what I had on hand when I first made mine.  

I've often considered swapping the pumpkins, but... They're so.... Yamaha.  I mean, everything else on the bike is very modern and well kitted up, and those giant incandescent pumpkins that are exactly the same as every other Yamaha, I feel kind of bad about removing them.  I like the running light functionality, too, and it's tough to find LED's that'll preserve that.

I put the Yoshimura Tail Tidy on my 2020 Tracer GT, it does sit back a bit between the side cases, but it is still very visible and works fine. I also removed the silly side turn signals in back and installed a BlasterX tail light. Direct replacement for the stock tail light, and the  lights are crazy bright, with options to select different flashing patterns to make your bike extremely visible from the rear when braking. Can't tell you how many times people have commented on how visible I am with this setup.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, iitywygms said:

Next up some customization.

Well then, you’ve come to the right place!   This forum is full of helpful suggestions for ways to spend money on things you didn’t even know you needed.   😇

Welcome, and congratulations on the new GT... you’re going to love it.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, R.C. said:

Twitchy throttle?  As you said, you'll get used to it.  After all, it's a motorcycle not a Buick. 😉

FI bikes have notoriously bad on/off jerky throttle due to fuel cut, some much worse than others (first gen FZ and FJ are especially bad) but engine tuners have had fixes to smooth out the throttle for many, many years.

Bikes are meant to be enjoyed, no sense having to "get used to it" when the solution is available.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

23 hours ago, betoney said:

The inside nut sets how tight the mirror is for rotation, but does not affect actually loosening the mirror in regards to removing it.  What happens is if this nut is too lose, no matter how much you tighten the lower nut, the mirror can rotate around that stem.  It'll not unscrew, of course - it's not threaded between the bottom of the stem and the bolt itself.  

What can happen (and I've had this issue with the right hand mirror on my MT07, and the left hand mirror on my MTT09) is that that particular nut isn't tightened enough on initial construction, so no matter how much you tighten the lower nut, as soon as you're going fast and wind pressure increases, the mirror starts rotating inwards. 

Typically, this is a "set it once and it's good forever" deal.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DavidS said:

I put the Yoshimura Tail Tidy on my 2020 Tracer GT, it does sit back a bit between the side cases, but it is still very visible and works fine. I also removed the silly side turn signals in back and installed a BlasterX tail light. Direct replacement for the stock tail light, and the  lights are crazy bright, with options to select different flashing patterns to make your bike extremely visible from the rear when braking. Can't tell you how many times people have commented on how visible I am with this setup.

Yeah, if you swap out the rear signals this works.  With the stock signals, you can't mount a tail tidy AND use the stock hard cases, they just don't fit.

• Thumbsup 1

30 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

What can happen (and I've had this issue with the right hand mirror on my MT07, and the left hand mirror on my MTT09) is that that particular nut isn't tightened enough on initial construction, so no matter how much you tighten the lower nut, as soon as you're going fast and wind pressure increases, the mirror starts rotating inwards. 

Thats what up with my mirrors.  Think I will pull the nut off, put in a star washer then put the nut back on with some loctite.