Android GPS Tracking and Navigation App

kilo3

**not a paid endorsement, although I'm always open to kickbacks lol**

After 4 months of searching for the right combination of maps, routes, tracking, recording...ect.
I finally found the perfect do it all app for my travels.
Let me start by saying, used ANDROID phones are CHEAP. Like dirt cheap. You can get a used motorola X4 (which is what I use) which is IP68 rated. And even then, you can pick them up for under 100 so they are practically cannon fodder at this point. There are many others to choose from as well, but that's what I chose.

So, semi water resistant phone, no sim card or data.
Turn on your hotspot on your personal phone all nice and tucked away, and boom, you have a fully connected GPS with data. You can also use offline maps as well if technology isn't your thing.

The app itself is called GPX Viewer PRO. https://vecturagames.com/gpxviewerpro/

Its around 6 dollars USD, and I'm telling you it's amazing.
You import GPX files from wherever, I tend to use:

Find, make and share routes and export them to your GPS and navigation...

Which i use only the free version to make my maps and export to my phone via email.

This allows you to not only follow a route, but track speed, elevation, distance, time moving...and a host of other elements at the same time.
You can even record as you follow a route which is super beneficial for updating a route or adding a cool road you find later on.

Anyhow, if you're on the fence about a dedicated gps and getting frustrated with all the "motorcycle" apps that are pure rubbish, take a gander at this one.

Edited by kilo3
spelling
  • Thumbsup 1