Morning Cascades Loop

keithu

• Premium Member

I had today off so I got up early to try to beat the holiday traffic and get in some miles. I ended up doing a little 322 mile loop from Albany, Oregon up US-20 through Sisters, north on US-97 a bit, then back home via Detroit.

After Sisters I took Lower Bridge Road to Terrebonne. This is a wonderful little back road that twists through a shallow canyon made by the Deschutes River.

I planned to ride one of my favorite routes through the Warm Springs Indian Reservation, but the tribal authority has closed all roads off US-26 to non-locals. Huge bummer, but I can't say I blame them.

Before Mt. Hood I turned off onto Skyline Road, a perfect ribbon of asphalt through the upper Cascades. I love this road more every time I ride it. Much of it is single lane, but the pavement is nearly perfect and traffic non-existent. I rode most of it at a mellow pace with my chinbar open, just enjoying the forest.

Skyline ends at Clackamas River Road, which I followed down to Detroit and OR-22. Detroit Lake was dotted with literally hundreds of boaters. My wife really wants a PWC but the chaotic scene at Detroit makes me question the logic.

At Mill City I hopped off highway 22 and took the usual back roads home. I was home in plenty of time for some afternoon chores and date night with Mrs. KeithU.

Screenshot_20200703-142844.png

2020_0703_08234700.jpg

2020_0703_09091500.jpg

2020_0703_09081700.jpg

2020_0703_10443200.jpg

2020_0703_10554100.jpg

2020_0703_10562000.jpg

2020_0703_11134200.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 4

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, keithu said:

I planned to ride one of my favorite routes through the Warm Springs Indian Reservation, but the tribal authority has closed all roads off US-26 to non-locals. Huge bummer, but I can't say I blame them.

Before Mt. Hood I turned off onto Skyline Road, a perfect ribbon of asphalt through the upper Cascades. I love this road more every time I ride it. Much of it is single lane, but the pavement is nearly perfect and traffic non-existent.

Where is this Skyline Rd located?  I couldn't find it in Google Maps.  I am familiar with all of the other roads you mentioned, it sounds like you had a great day on the bike.

My buddy lives in Bend, the next time I venture down that way I had planned on riding the roads through Warm Springs Reservation from Maupin, is the closure a permanent thing?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, betoney said:

Where is this Skyline Rd located?  I couldn't find it in Google Maps.  I am familiar with all of the other roads you mentioned, it sounds like you had a great day on the bike.

My buddy lives in Bend, the next time I venture down that way I had planned on riding the roads through Warm Springs Reservation from Maupin, is the closure a permanent thing?

Look for NF-42 off of US-26 between OR-35 and OR-216. It is the road that goes past Clear Lake and Timothy Lake. There is a little traffic at first, but after Timothy Lake it goes down to one lane and I always have it to myself. It eventually hits OR-224.

I don't know if the Warm Springs closure is permanent. They had guards posted at every road though so don't count on sneaking around.

• Thanks 1