Revisited n00b - Been a while...

Howdy!

Been away from riding a while, and just getting back into it.  The Tracer is on my short list, come Spring 2021, when it will be time to pull the trigger.  Love the knowledge gathered here, and it's definitely making it hard not to put the Tracer at the top.

Cor

First, it appears you are in NC.  No better place for riding and the Tracer would be right at home in the NC mountains.  Comfortable enough to tour all day and light enough to toss around on some of the best mountain roads in the country.

It is a fantastic bike for those of us who want touring capability but prefer something light and agile.  It is, however, not without it's warts.  For most the stock seat is not too comfortable for long rides, the stock windscreen creates a lot of buffeting, and the fueling is a bit abrupt in "A" mode.  These are all easily remedied.  Ivan has a good reflash for the fueling.  Windscreen options are many as are seats.  (Love my Terry Adcox seat!!)  

The riding position is just about perfect.  Nice that it has adjustable bars and seat height so it can be fine tuned a bit if needed.  Bike is a load of fun when hunting apexes, and the GT model stock suspension is pretty decent unless you are a big guy.  The heated grips and cruise control work beautifully and are two things I did not know I needed until I had them.  The engine is absolutely brilliant, very torquey but still screams all the way to redline like an inline four and it really never feels strained.  The engine is one of the main reasons I bought the bike.  More than enough power to put a grin on your face, and it just seem eager to do whatever you ask of it.  

I look forward to each and every ride, knowing that I can go as far as I want in comfort, and still keep up with the sport bikes when the road gets twisty. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

54 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

First, it appears you are in NC.  No better place for riding and the Tracer would be right at home in the NC mountains.  Comfortable enough to tour all day and light enough to toss around on some of the best mountain roads in the country.

It is a fantastic bike for those of us who want touring capability but prefer something light and agile.  It is, however, not without it's warts.  For most the stock seat is not too comfortable for long rides, the stock windscreen creates a lot of buffeting, and the fueling is a bit abrupt in "A" mode.  These are all easily remedied.  Ivan has a good reflash for the fueling.  Windscreen options are many as are seats.  (Love my Terry Adcox seat!!)  

The riding position is just about perfect.  Nice that it has adjustable bars and seat height so it can be fine tuned a bit if needed.  Bike is a load of fun when hunting apexes, and the GT model stock suspension is pretty decent unless you are a big guy.  The heated grips and cruise control work beautifully and are two things I did not know I needed until I had them.  The engine is absolutely brilliant, very torquey but still screams all the way to redline like an inline four and it really never feels strained.  The engine is one of the main reasons I bought the bike.  More than enough power to put a grin on your face, and it just seem eager to do whatever you ask of it.  

I look forward to each and every ride, knowing that I can go as far as I want in comfort, and still keep up with the sport bikes when the road gets twisty. 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Western NC, for certain.  I also appreciate the suggestions for first updates!  I'm leaning toward the base Tracer, since it's a lot less $$ right now (found a couple that were under $8k still new, just old stock), but that cruise control does kinda call to me...so it may end up being me going for the base, then in a few years trading up for a GT.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Obicor said:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Western NC, for certain.  I also appreciate the suggestions for first updates!  I'm leaning toward the base Tracer, since it's a lot less $$ right now (found a couple that were under $8k still new, just old stock), but that cruise control does kinda call to me...so it may end up being me going for the base, then in a few years trading up for a GT.  

Getting the base Tracer for around $8k is a bargain, it can be modified to be 95% of the GT with aftermarket parts, the only thing you cant add is the TFT screen.  Buying the base Tracer as a 'blank canvas' allows you to outfit it to suit your needs.

Like @johnmark101 mentioned, heated grips and cruise control are two items that you don't know you need until you ride a bike without them.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

Getting the base Tracer for around $8k is a bargain, it can be modified to be 95% of the GT with aftermarket parts, the only thing you cant add is the TFT screen.  Buying the base Tracer as a 'blank canvas' allows you to outfit it to suit your needs.

Like @johnmark101 mentioned, heated grips and cruise control are two items that you don't know you need until you ride a bike without them.

Then I had better not get them yet!  ;D  At least I should be able to add them later, since the GT has them.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum @Obicor If you have any mechanical skills you certainly turn  the Tracer in to a GT. But the thing to consider is the Tracer is not going to hold it's value like the GT will. With the dealers discounting the Tracers you will take a big hit on all the up grades you do  trying to turn the bike into the GT at sale time. Just something to consider, for what it's worth I love my 19 GT.

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, Obicor said:

So why not get the stock GT cruise control instead?

I'm not sure its even possible due to being integrated into the bike and different ECU.  If only using the factory unit is a deciding factor then, yes get the GT model.

@roadrash83 - brought up a good point about resale value if that is a concern.  Personally, I always keep a bike 8-10 years and resale value is of zero concern to me when making changes or racking up miles on the bike, I think of it like a lease or rental.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

56 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

Welcome to the forum @Obicor If you have any mechanical skills you certainly turn  the Tracer in to a GT. But the thing to consider is the Tracer is not going to hold it's value like the GT will. With the dealers discounting the Tracers you will take a big hit on all the up grades you do  trying to turn the bike into the GT at sale time. Just something to consider, for what it's worth I love my 19 GT.

Definitely a good point!

34 minutes ago, betoney said:

I'm not sure its even possible due to being integrated into the bike and different ECU.  If only using the factory unit is a deciding factor then, yes get the GT model.

@roadrash83 - brought up a good point about resale value if that is a concern.  Personally, I always keep a bike 8-10 years and resale value is of zero concern to me when making changes or racking up miles on the bike, I think of it like a lease or rental.

Then here's hoping there are some new, old stock GTs come next February!  😃

Edited by Obicor