A trip through the Kananaskis

Wintersdark

Well, having just completed the seat mod, lifting the front of my seat by around 4mm, it seems a good time to go for a decent length ride.

Screenshot_20200705-180335_ESR.thumb.jpg.dc0c3cba05e8b501ccea54198a6d6418.jpg

Started recording where I met up with my riding buddies, so missed a chunk, but whatever.  First stop was in Longview (name not shown, but it's the intersection south of Black Diamond, before heading west into the mountains) - specifically because of a tiny little jerky shop there.  These guys make what's frankly the best jerky I've ever had, absolutely amazing stuff, and great to have on a road trip.  Then into the mountains!

The little side trip poking out in the left side is a jaunt around the upper and lower Kananaskis lakes; insanely cold but beautiful mountain lakes:

20200705_144051.thumb.jpg.3bb016688d6ddf3ab59080a1a3661807.jpg20200705_144819.thumb.jpg.952adab2c6e704f9adede70c3a708461.jpg20200705_144017.thumb.jpg.4c7f8a734fd4bdcc827c255dcd0aae95.jpg

Several groups of mountain goats made the ride exciting; coming around a corner to some 20 goats just chilling in the middle of the road is fun!  Only managed a couple kind of bad photos of them; you want to be careful about being close to them because if threatened they will occassionally charge and headbutt - particularly if it's a large group. 

Then the bears.  So many bears.  Seems covid has really encouraged them to come out of the woodwork.  They get sketchy, though, whenever there's bears on the highway, people stop to take photos, and there's always this push where someone wants to get a little closer than the last person... So you've got a two lane highway partially blocked off with cars and people milling about, the threat of momma bear deciding she's had enough of tourists and chopping people up, etc.  Cool critters, but I'll leave the bear pics to people who don't like their arms. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 3

Beautiful country!!!  Many years ago my father and I drove through the Canadian Rockies and the views there are absolutely breathtaking.  

I have owned three sport tourers.  Honda VFR 800, Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and currently the Tracer GT...…..just as shown in the first picture.  Pretty cool to see them all together.  I still have the Ninja 1000 but the VFR is long gone.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

All three are really great bikes. 

The VFR is a little long in the tooth now, but is still a very cool bike, and was an amazing ride for its day.  2005, single sided swingarm, great engine.  It's nifty.  

The Kawi 1000 is (though I'm not a Kawasaki guy at all) a pretty much perfect balance for taking a liter bike sport touring at a reasonable sticker price.  I envy his top end speed, but I find the CP3 more entertaining all around.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

That looks like a great loop.  Thanks for the pics; talk about stunning country!!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

@Wintersdark - Stunning photos!  Its about a day and a half ride to Banff for me, I definitely need to get up there for a road trip once the border opens again.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

😇

F1E1D61C-D924-44D3-BB79-A06CB85BD6DF.thumb.jpeg.f05b381be43eacd3853ca85ad9c42113.jpeg

Exactly.  The Tracer's only got about another 12kph in it (at least with my 300lb butt on it, 215 is the most I've got), whereas the Ninja will do 240.  

But, to be fair, I really don't need to go faster, and the real fun is in using the CP3's grunt to power out of corners.  Hence the +2 teeth on the rear sprocket that's on its way :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1