Best Tires in 2020

The problem I have with comparing tires is that I've never spooned on a fresh set of tires when my existing tires were also fresh. So I always end up comparing the outgoing, worn tire to a beautiful new, grippy tire. It's really hard for me to compare for this reason - my memory of the outgoing tire when it was new is tainted by its current subpar performance. 

That being said, I've been happy with the PR and Road 5 series, the BT0x series.

• Thumbsup 4

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member

I haven't tried the road fives yet but I'm just getting ready to swap to a set of Bridgestone t31 from the Dunlop R3

I've had Road 3 and Road 4 but found them particularly the rear sensitive to Tar snakes and while I do ride in the rain I'm always very conservative because I'm either on semi Urban streets with a lot of crap on the road or country roads which can have some mess and rocks too

I've run Avon the Mesler roadtec 01 but haven't run bridgestone's for a while

I'm very interested to see how they are in comparison to the Dunlop R3

I haven't checked my mileage yet but I know it's over 8000 on the rear the front R3 still has a bit of tread left but it's getting a little cupping  and giving me some vibration

I've not had a stability issue with the R3 or any tire for that matter at least on the fjo9 I just put a set of the Bridgestone s22 on my VTR but haven't run it yet.

Instead of raising the forks Winters dark you actually may want to lower than back down to stock even though you feel it taller just my two cents

I have Matt's Fork magic in the front on both legs with rebound and compression and a K-Tech razor R in the rear + 320 rotors and HH plus pads I like actually the rear OEM pads

When I was out last Friday on the fjo9 it was very hot and I knew the rear R3 was getting thin but you think I need new rubber now?

20200703_162137.jpg

20200703_162112.jpg

20200703_124843.jpg

20200703_161957.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, peterh101 said:

Angel GT2s are impressive and significantly out perform me, wet or dry.  They meet my acid test - are the tyres something I need to be concerned about when riding?   They are very neutral in feeling.  My 2p worth, but see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fHik60WMM

I've never ridden (or even driven) with Pirelli tires, but I've heard a lot of good about the Angels.  I'm sure you can't go wrong there.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, maximo said:

The problem I have with comparing tires is that I've never spooned on a fresh set of tires when my existing tires were also fresh. So I always end up comparing the outgoing, worn tire to a beautiful new, grippy tire. It's really hard for me to compare for this reason

That is a great point, when comparing a brand new tire to the old worn out tire, EVERY new tire will feel amazing.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, peterh101 said:

Angel GT2s are impressive and significantly out perform me, wet or dry.  They meet my acid test - are the tyres something I need to be concerned about when riding?   They are very neutral in feeling.  My 2p worth, but see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5fHik60WMM

I haven't used the new Angel GT 2, but have used many, many sets of the original Angel GT and they are phenomenal.

• Supporting Member

@texscottyd - Interesting info I found on a different bike forum which could explain the difference in feel?

"The Roadsmart III comes in two versions – The standard is a two-ply front and rear tyre designed to deal with the loads of heavy tourer's and adventure bikes for example.

A separate “SP” lighter version, or single ply front and rear, is designed for use on lighter naked's, roadsters and middleweight tourer's."

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

+1 for Road 5's (also dual compound).  Just came back from the Icefields Parkway (post coming on that one) and even in 5 deg C and rain near the Columbia Glacier, I had no problems leaning over in the twisties.

Edited by knyte
  • Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

"The Roadsmart III comes in two versions – The standard is a two-ply front and rear tyre designed to deal with the loads of heavy tourer's and adventure bikes for example. A separate “SP” lighter version, or single ply front and rear, is designed for use on lighter naked's, roadsters and middleweight tourer's."

Do you have a link to where you found that?

Dunlop website/spec sheet shows two Roadsmart 3 variants... Roadsmart 3 and Roadsmart 3 Adventure (no sizes for FJ/Tracer). The rear tire sizes in each series are all dual compound Multi-Tread.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Do you have a link to where you found that?

Dunlop website/spec sheet shows two Roadsmart 3 variants... Roadsmart 3 and Roadsmart 3 Adventure (no sizes for FJ/Tracer). The rear tire sizes in each series are all dual compound Multi-Tread.

It was a tire thread on the Versys 1000 forum.  Reply #22

I ran Roadtec 01s on my last 2017 Versys 1000,  they were outstanding...

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

Could the Dunlop possibly have a stiffer sidewall?

This is what I had observed just recently. I took it upon myself to spoon RS3 onto the rear rim and had an absolute b*tch of a time... and eventually destroyed the bead. Desperate for a tire before a trip I found a Michelin Pilot Road 2. The bead and sidewall were very noticeably more compliant on the Michelin. The Dunlops felt incredibly rigid in comparison.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

I never seen them mentioned around here but I'll throw a vote out for the Continental Road Attack 3. I've had them on two different bikes now and love them.

I run the sport on the front and road in back, saved my bacon on one miserable and dangerous ride back from the 08 Indy MotoGP

?m=02&d=20080914&t=2&i=5986329&w=1200&r=

World championship leader Valentino Rossi won the rain-shortened...

Val agreed!  Normally 3.5 hour drone back to Chitown but it took over 12.  Rain was sideways at 50 mph, every highway flooded and it was every man for himself.  I went through knee deep water and the Contis got me through.  Hypothermia in early September!

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II . I swapped out the OE Dunlop’s on my Tracer 900 2017 and never looked back. ThenTracer felt like a different bike immediately. Aside from the Tracers suspension issues that Ohlins will fix, the handling has been 90% improved since removing the Dunlop rubber.