Hi and Clutch cable routing help please.

Hi all.

Had my GT for nearly a year now and pretty much love it with a few exceptions... 

Standard tyres went before delivery and had PR5s fitted, Sooo much better.

Screen lasted 100 miles, changed it for a Madstad and that lasted 3000 miles till the buffet did my head in literally ! I also wasn't keen on the screen catching the hand guards on full lock. I am a large chap @ 110KG with big shoulders which the wind seems to love to catch and buffet my head around. I had a Madstad on a Tiger 800 and it was fantastic, just not for me but I may try the larger length screen at a later date. Got the Yam touring screen, that lasted 20 miles and will be up for sale when eBay do a a £1 fee weekend.. more buffet than a restaurant on that one! Now running on a MRA touring screen with flip and it is OK... less than perfect but is work in progress. Just to be clear these are my issues... partly to do with the Rukka I wear (as this catches the wind more) and my GT Air hat which the top vent catches air big time. Just fitted the Bagster seat but not ridden it yet, stock got painful after 200 miles or so.  Anyway now I have introduced myself...

I recently purchased the bar risers from Turkey, super speedy delivery (2 days from Turkey to the UK) and look fair quality for the money. I fitted them and had a real struggle getting the clutch cable to feel half decent. Brake pipe was a fairly easy mod and the cables were easy... However on a test ride the clutch action was shocking ... I had to leave so much slack in it so on RH lock it wasn't tight it was just Uggghhhhh and varied depending where the bars were turned. I deemed it unusable and removed the risers, which is a shame as I liked the position.

Soooooo, can someone please provide a solution to the dodgy clutch with risers? I have read about fitting an R1 cable but that didn't seem to cure it. Happy to listen to advice as I am sure lots have fitted the risers.

Many thanks and sorry to rabbit on 😉

Vans

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, Vansflyer said:

I recently purchased the bar risers from Turkey, super speedy delivery (2 days from Turkey to the UK) and look fair quality for the money. I fitted them and had a real struggle getting the clutch cable to feel half decent. Brake pipe was a fairly easy mod and the cables were easy... However on a test ride ... I had to leave so much slack in it so on RH lock it wasn't tight it was just Uggghhhhh and varied depending where the bars were turned. I deemed it unusable and removed the risers, which is a shame as I liked the position.

So, I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly the issue with the clutch cable, it it too short or the clutch feel isn't what you like?  You mention the right hand lock and slack but also mention "the clutch action was shocking".

What is the height of the riser from Turkey?  Several GT owners have installed risers and I haven't heard any reports of unusual clutch, usually with the higher bar location it is the brake line that gets tight which can be remedied by removing the mounting clamp on the bottom of the triple clamp.

Have you tried to adjust the lower adjuster on the clutch cable?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

14 minutes ago, betoney said:

So, I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly the issue with the clutch cable, it it too short or the clutch feel isn't what you like?  You mention the right hand lock and slack but also mention "the clutch action was shocking".

What is the height of the riser from Turkey?  Several GT owners have installed risers and I haven't heard any reports of unusual clutch, usually with the higher bar location it is the brake line that gets tight which can be remedied by removing the mounting clamp on the bottom of the triple clamp.

Have you tried to adjust the lower adjuster on the clutch cable?

Thanks for the response. I slackened off the bottom adjuster quite a bit to give as much slack as possible. The "action" issue is the friction of the clutch cable varied depending where the bars were pointed and the bite point also varied a lot so it was a lottery where it would "bite" and how is you let the lever go. The brake pipe was an easy fix, took it off the clamp and moved some of the rubber protection so it could mount higher up. Very slightly more of a kink on the pipe but a tiny amount. 

The risers are 30mm up and 20mm back. Link here: 

s-l400.jpg

Fit only MT09 Tracer. We mark the item price low value, regarding...

1 hour ago, Vansflyer said:

Thanks for the response. I slackened off the bottom adjuster quite a bit to give as much slack as possible. The "action" issue is the friction of the clutch cable varied depending where the bars were pointed and the bite point also varied a lot so it was a lottery where it would "bite" and how is you let the lever go. The brake pipe was an easy fix, took it off the clamp and moved some of the rubber protection so it could mount higher up. Very slightly more of a kink on the pipe but a tiny amount. 

The risers are 30mm up and 20mm back. Link here: 

s-l400.jpg

Fit only MT09 Tracer. We mark the item price low value, regarding...

i have a similar set of risers that go up 25mm and back 20mm, but i flipped the lower oem risers so i only got 10mm rearward. my issue was the throttle cable needed more slack, so i had to re-route it at the handlebar area. my brake line was taught, but fine. with the clutch, i simply added a little more slack to it and it was good.

• Thumbsup 2

14 hours ago, trevinator said:

i have a similar set of risers that go up 25mm and back 20mm, but i flipped the lower oem risers so i only got 10mm rearward. my issue was the throttle cable needed more slack, so i had to re-route it at the handlebar area. my brake line was taught, but fine. with the clutch, i simply added a little more slack to it and it was good.

Thanks for the response. That is my next option, to move the standard risers forward and see how that goes.

I have exactly the same risers @Vansflyer and have no problem with the clutch. It might be worth just checking that you’ve chosen the shortest path for routing. 

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 hours ago, BBB said:

I have exactly the same risers @Vansflyer and have no problem with the clutch. It might be worth just checking that you’ve chosen the shortest path for routing. 

I have spun the risers around but got diverted by that nasty four letter work... Work. As the rick of sounding thick, does the clutch cable need to be re-routed from standard fitting? I notice you have a 2015 model, could that be different to the GT?

Many thanks.

To finish this off ...

With the oem risers spun forward I could just get enough slack clearance on the clutch on full RH lock. Went for a 30 mile quick ride with the risers and the new Bagster seat fitted and all is good. Handlebars feel in a better position and defiantly have less vibe around the 5k rev mark than without the risers which is a bonus. Bagster seat is also an improvement but very slippy and needs some anti slip to stop my tackle hitting the plastic guard on the tank! When I returned I adjusted the profile on the clutch cable at the top and that also helped with the slack on full lock. My goal was to get the same slack in the lever lock to lock, that won't happen with the risers and the standard cable but it is good enough and much better than when the OEM risers were set back and the "Turkish" ones added.

Thanks for the support.

risers.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, ontheroad said:

Try moving your clutch cable behind the forks instead of the front of forks.

20200713_125026 (2).jpg

Thanks for the tip, I did wonder if it would help but slightly concerned about the headstock catching it. A friend gave me the heads up that a custom cable can be made to the required length, so far it has been ok as it is now. If I feel it get worse I will go for a custom cable just a bit longer than stock.