Suspension....rebuild or cartridges and a Penske??

8 hours ago, Stew said:

@BBB aye, I saw that. I think I'll order a Nitron from Maxton, having looked on their site.  They have been around a long time as well I think, I'm pretty sure I remember their name from the olden days. I'll keep you posted.

The trouble is I don't have a garage any more,  or anywhere dry to work on the bike.  I will need to time it all really well with the weather :) I only have a bike cover now.

You’re welcome to use my garage, but it’s quite a ride for you 🤪

In all seriousness, you’d easily swap a shock within a few hours yourself, or a local independent bike mechanic would only charge a pair of hours.

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, BBB said:

In all seriousness, you’d easily swap a shock within a few hours yourself, or a local independent bike mechanic would only charge a pair of hours.

Not to hijack's johnmark101's thread, but since he and I are basically doing the same service around the same time, I felt it would apply. The service manual for the Tracer GT calls for having to remove the fuel tank in order to swap out the rear shock. Although I've never done it, that doesn't sound like something that can be done in two hours. Am I misreading something, or is it really that quick?

1 hour ago, BBB said:

You’re welcome to use my garage, but it’s quite a ride for you 🤪

Cheers. If I had a garage or a big shed I would cheerfully do it myself, I have built a few bikes in my time.
I contacted Maxton this evening, and am awaiting a spec sheet.
My brother in law is a mechanic and mot inspector, so I'll order the shock, ride the bike up to his place, and do it there.
The front forks, I'll just have to take them off and use the CRF for a week or two I suppose :)

I appreciate the offer though.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

After a second discussion with Dan at Traxxion, I decided to go with the AK-20's

It should give me all the handling performance and more of the rebuild option,  as well as better bump absorption and more complaint ride for touring.

So, if I am understanding this clearly, he said the AK-20's would be have better bump absorption compared to installing their axxion valves on the oem forks?  I'm just trying to understand the options you discussed. 

Considering how sh!tty this year has ended up being with state lock downs, 3 different vacation roadtrip cancellations, work injuries etc. I am thinking of treating myself to something nice for Black Friday.  I deserve it.😎

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

12 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

Not to hijack's johnmark101's thread, but since he and I are basically doing the same service around the same time, I felt it would apply. The service manual for the Tracer GT calls for having to remove the fuel tank in order to swap out the rear shock. Although I've never done it, that doesn't sound like something that can be done in two hours. Am I misreading something, or is it really that quick?

I can have the fuel tank off inside 30 minutes as I’ve pulled the damn thing off so many times now.

• Haha 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

10 minutes ago, betoney said:

So, if I am understanding this clearly, he said the AK-20's would be have better bump absorption compared to installing their axxion valves on the oem forks?

The one main difference that the AK-20s have over the stock damper rod is that they have a rebound piston and compression piston in each fork.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

The top mount bolt for the shock 'can' be removed without taking off the tank but taking the tank off gives you much better access and makes it very simple.

I will agree with @BBB in the quick time it takes to remove the tank, I had mine off yesterday to access the airbox.  In the 30 minutes he mentioned, the body panels can be stripped down and the tank can be rotated backwards to access the airbox and then everything reassembled again.  The newer Tracer might be different but on the FJ, once you know the sequence to the puzzle pieces, it is very easy.

• Thumbsup 1

Roger that. That's quite reassuring. I can tell you from experience that removing the fuel tank on the Gold Wing is NOT a 30 minute job. I think the first time I did it, it took me the better part of a weekend.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

The one main difference that the AK-20s have over the stock damper rod is that they have a rebound piston and compression piston in each fork.

I thought one leg was for compression and one leg was for rebound.  Is that not the case?

HD-Fork-Cap2.jpg

You are mostly correct. Both caps adjust preload, right cap adjusts rebound, left adjusts compression, but both forks have rebound and compression damping. I'm guessing that the respective "uncontrolled" dampening is of a lighter force. I don't know exactly. Might be black magic.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

After a second discussion with Dan at Traxxion, I decided to go with the AK-20's and a Penske 8983 rear shock.

Worth every penny...  you won’t regret making this investment.   It’s going to be a long three weeks of waiting!  

Here’s an interesting thought:  I figure that the money I spent on suspension for my 2015 FJ actually saved me money overall, since I’m so happy with the bike that I have no desire to replace it with something new.   Had I left it stock, I suspect I would have moved on to something else by now...   

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, betoney said:

So, if I am understanding this clearly, he said the AK-20's would be have better bump absorption compared to installing their axxion valves on the oem forks?  I'm just trying to understand the options you discussed. 

Yes, the AK-20's are going to provide more compliance and a smoother ride while still giving you better handling, feel and feedback than just doing new springs and valves......but it's quite a bit more money.  

However, even doing the Axxion valves and new springs will be a significant upgrade from the stock bits.  I did that on my Ninja 1000 and was pleased with the results.  

• Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

5 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Damage?

No, just wanting to upgrade the suspension as I plan on keeping this bike for a long time.

• Like 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.