To flash stock tracer or Not ?

Had mine flashed just a few months after purchasing it from the dealer.  Yes, I would do it again.  I knew I probably would do it before I had even bought the bike. 

Edited by johnmark101

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

2019 and above, I don’t think it’s worth it. I couldn’t tell any difference as far as abrupt throttle which from what I seen is the biggest complaint. Nice video on YouTube of a 19 flashed with full exhaust and I think he got 7hp and said in his opinion it wasn’t worth the cost. I’m sure I’m the only one who would say it’s not because most who spend money on farkles won’t admit it. Spend that money on a new helmet, boots or even diet food......gym membership perhaps? 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

2017 FJ onward had fueling issues fixed in the factory tune, although engine braking remained unchanged. What are you finding lacking on the GT that makes you consider re-flashing?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

5 hours ago, Toddtr said:

2019 and above, I don’t think it’s worth it. I couldn’t tell any difference as far as abrupt throttle which from what I seen is the biggest complaint. Nice video on YouTube of a 19 flashed with full exhaust and I think he got 7hp and said in his opinion it wasn’t worth the cost. I’m sure I’m the only one who would say it’s not because most who spend money on farkles won’t admit it. Spend that money on a new helmet, boots or even diet food......gym membership perhaps? 

For me it was the abrupt fueling that I did not like with the Tracer, mainly in A mode.  I have a Ninja 1000 as well as the Tracer and the Ninja had been reflashed by Ivan for the same problem.  There was no comparison between the two as the Ninja with the reflash has perfectly smooth fueling that afforded far better throttle control.  So, sent the Tracer ECU off to Ivan.  I was not after more power for the Tracer and kept the stock exhaust.  The main issue was eliminating the fuel cut programmed in at closed throttle.  Throttle response is smoother after the reflash.  Not quite the results I got on the Ninja, but definitely an improvement.     

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On the newer tracer, I wouldn't bother. Yes, A mode is more abrupt,  but it's supposed to be.  I used A mode on track recently,  and it was great, standard aswel tbh. Never use B. 

On the streets, A mode is too jerky , very sensitive,  that's what standard is for, perfect. A mode for track basically. 

It's a bit like some folk saying, 6th gear being too high for normal use. Changing gearing to get more use of top gear. But when cruising  at 80/90 mph, you'll be glad of the higher gear. Imo. 

You don't need to used every feature of the bike on every ride. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

On the newer tracer, I wouldn't bother. Yes, A mode is more abrupt,  but it's supposed to be.  I used A mode on track recently,  and it was great, standard aswel tbh. Never use B. 

On the streets, A mode is too jerky , very sensitive,  that's what standard is for, perfect. A mode for track basically. 

It's a bit like some folk saying, 6th gear being too high for normal use. Changing gearing to get more use of top gear. But when cruising  at 80/90 mph, you'll be glad of the higher gear. Imo. 

You don't need to used every feature of the bike on every ride. 👍

I don't think Yamaha intended to put a "track only" mode on a sport tourer.  Smooth throttle response is even more important on the track where you are pushing the limits of traction and need to be as smooth as possible with your inputs while leaned over and near the limits of available grip.  I ride in A mode on the street and find it just fine after the reflash.  Before, it was quite abrupt at the point where you crack open the throttle mid corner.  It's still not as smooth as I would like, but it is noticeably better.  

Manufacturers program in a fuel cut off at closed throttle in order to perform better under emissions testing.  Getting rid of this improves throttle response.  Some bikes will respond better to eliminating this than others.  Also, some tuners get better results than others with different bikes...….something to consider.

I agree that if you ride the bike only in standard mode, throttle response is decent, but could still be better.  Once you have ridden a bike with perfectly smooth fueling anything less is annoying.     

Edited by johnmark101

11 hours ago, piotrek said:

2017 FJ onward had fueling issues fixed in the factory tune, although engine braking remained unchanged. What are you finding lacking on the GT that makes you consider re-flashing?

The main reason i was thinking of the flash is find at low speed cruising feels like it surges .Also find the throttle a little jerky.

Edited by Mark Trottier

1 hour ago, johnmark101 said:

I don't think Yamaha intended to put a "track only" mode on a sport tourer.  Smooth throttle response is even more important on the track where you are pushing the limits of traction and need to be as smooth as possible with your inputs while leaned over and near the limits of available grip.  I ride in A mode on the street and find it just fine after the reflash.  Before, it was quite abrupt at the point where you crack open the throttle mid corner.  It's still not as smooth as I would like, but it is noticeably better.  

Manufacturers program in a fuel cut off at closed throttle in order to perform better under emissions testing.  Getting rid of this improves throttle response.  Some bikes will respond better to eliminating this than others.  Also, some tuners get better results than others with different bikes...….something to consider.

I agree that if you ride the bike only in standard mode, throttle response is decent, but could still be better.  Once you have ridden a bike with perfectly smooth fueling anything less is annoying.     

Fair point,  but personally I found the A mode jerkyness only a problem at very low speeds. Turning at traffic lights, little bump in the road and the slightest throttle movement and the bike would pull, junctions etc. On track or higher speeds, the jerkyness wasn't really there.

Many manufacturers will sell you a track pack but the tracer gets one standard. Sort of. 🙂

In all honesty,  and on many bikes, these engine modes are all a waste of time imo. A decent standard setting of wrist/fuel should suffice all needs, whether on track, dry or wet road.  We should all be capable of good wrist control.  👍

Btw...what is B mode for. ?

10 hours ago, kilo3 said:

I concur with @johnmark101
The tune isn't about hp, all driveability. I can see why someone would be let down if they spent 1.5k on a full exhaust and a tune for 7-10 hp if they are chasing dyno numbers.

It’s really honestly about trying to make something into what it will never be. If it’s only about driveability then you would start with the seat, suspension, handle bars and pegs. As you can read here on the forums all that cost a lot and as I said before spending 3k or even more for most kinda becomes like polishing a turd. It’s your money and your bike but so spend away but after so much why not choose something better? I like my Tracer but it’s not the best highway bike or sport bike, it’s a compromise and it works well for most. 

Edited by Toddtr
  • Like 1