Yamaha working on another leaning trike

rustyshackles

It's been pretty well sorted that the Niken was only the first step of what WILL be someday. It has shown lots of promise despite its shortcomings. I'm not surprised at all that Yamaha is continuing their research. But can I just say that concept drawing is about the most butt-ugly thing I've ever seen in my life.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

I'm glad that Yamaha is pushing the envelope and not just sitting around considering next years color changes but I agree with @SKYFLIX - that computer rendering is just stupid looking, at least the Niken is relatively decent looking as well as being fun as hell to ride.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, SKYFLIX said:

It's been pretty well sorted that the Niken was only the first step of what WILL be someday. It has shown lots of promise despite its shortcomings. 

I'm pretty sure I once said the same thing about the GTS1000. 

But the above concept seems to be aimed more at the touring/cruiser crowd which is a bigger audience (in USA, at least) than the sport touring segment. Harley-Davidson and Can Am already sell trikes to people who can't hold up an 850 pound motorcycle. If Yamaha made a leaning trike as an alternative to the Star Venture they might actually sell a few. 

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, keithu said:

I'm pretty sure I once said the same thing about the GTS1000. 

But the above concept seems to be aimed more at the touring/cruiser crowd which is a bigger audience (in USA, at least) than the sport touring segment. Harley-Davidson and Can Am already sell trikes to people who can't hold up an 850 pound motorcycle. If Yamaha made a leaning trike as an alternative to the Star Venture they might actually sell a few. 

I think to appeal to a wider audience, especially older or partially disabled, it needs to lean while it is moving so it is still fun but have some sort of lockout so it doesn't fall over like the Niken when stopped.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, keithu said:

But the above concept seems to be aimed more at the touring/cruiser crowd...

Agree... and at least they stopped pretending. The Niken was marketed in the same way as the FJ... carving sweepers and lotsa wheelies, which I thought was misguided. The new concept looks to focus on a purpose. Unlike the Niken, something like this might actually move the needs past the curiosity factor.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif