Oh. My. God. It works! It really works! Permanent bluetooth ODB2 connectivity!

I just purchased the OBDLink MX+ and an 4pin to ODB cable but I can't get it to work. I can connect to the adaptor but both torque and OBDlink app says the adaptor cannot connect to the ECU. 

If I leave the adaptor in and start driving the ECU will get angry and starting to showing error 21 coolant temperature error in the display together with the check engine light, even though the temperature is shown on the display and is okay.

Anyone had similar problems?

3 hours ago, smeller said:

I just purchased the OBDLink MX+ and an 4pin to ODB cable but I can't get it to work. I can connect to the adaptor but both torque and OBDlink app says the adaptor cannot connect to the ECU. 

If I leave the adaptor in and start driving the ECU will get angry and starting to showing error 21 coolant temperature error in the display together with the check engine light, even though the temperature is shown on the display and is okay.

Anyone had similar problems?

Mine worked fine right away, 2019 GT.  In this order:

1) Key off.  Make sure Torque/OBDLink is fully closed (not just in the background)

2) Plug adapter in, and MX+ into adapter.

3) Key on

4) Press pairing button on adapter

5) Pair your phone with the adapter

6) Start bike

7) Open Torque, select adapter from settings to connect.

I find it has trouble connecting if I load Torque before starting the bike.  It'll see the adapter but not be able to connect properly.  So, going forward after pairing, start the bike, then open your app and connect.

• 4 months later...

I received the OBDLink MX+ for Christmas. I'm an Apple user so had to go with the MX+. I still need the cable to hook up with the bike. I was going with

https://www.amazon.com/moto-solutions-Diagnostic-Adaptor-Yamaha-Motorcycle/dp/B07W1BKQ9F/ref=sr_1_3?crid=38JD4D3GI2Y3R&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+4+pin+to+obd2+connector&qid=1609029025&sprefix=yamaha+4+pin%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-3

unless some one can suggest a better option. Thanks.

Edited by jetpilot5

• Premium Member
On 7/9/2020 at 2:27 PM, Wintersdark said:

I've wanted to see if this would work for a very long time, but was dubious.  I've wanted a bluetooth ODB2 scantool connection on my bike forever - I keep one on my Jeep, and being able to live-monitor engine data is extremely useful for troubleshooting problems.  Also, it allows you to make really bitch'n dashboard displays (the real reason right here!)  The handheld Autel scanners... well, they work for reading codes and resetting them, but that's all and they're kind of shitty to use.  Having a smartphone or tablet able to read/reset codes, but also graph sensor data in realtime is WAY more useful.  

Those bluetooth scantools that allow you to live monitor engine data are awesome in cars, but I feared Yamaha's 4-pin connector wouldn't have everything they require to work, or just plain wouldn't work with Yamaha's ODB2 implementation.  I ordered an adapter regardless, though, because hey - I want to be able to reset codes if nothing else, like if I run the bike on the centerstand, for example.

But it works.  It really works.

Now, I'm not using one of the cheap $5 blue ELM323 adapters, for two reasons:  First, they're notoriously unreliable.  Second, they draw full power all the time.  In a car, this isn't a really big deal, as your battery can hold up to a couple weeks of this before you notice it when starting, but on a motorcycle?  Our batteries are notoriously... Limited.  As my goal is to leave the adapter connected 24/7, so it Just Works whenever I've got my phone in the mount, I need one that can go to sleep when the key is turned off.  

Enter the Scantool ODBLink LX: 

lxbt_obdlink_main_1.png

OBDLink LX Bluetooth will turn your Android or Windows device...

The MX costs more, but it's only advantages is that it works with some manufacturer specific features (Ford, GM, and Mazda) and we don't care about that.  The LX is still spendier than the $5 AliExpress dongle, but at $60 it's still pretty damn cheap for a motorcycle tool/farkle. 

20200709_122652.thumb.jpg.1e8a760d3a0a98fcc311cced96815b64.jpg

Tada!  I ended up routing the wire under the seat latch bracket, but here we have it.  

Scantool provides the ODBLink software which is pretty great, but if you want more customization the Torque Pro app

ixvMM__7udJBKdr52Y6JQZtL2PXdJpQM9UiB-ust

See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car...

for android and IOS, is bloody amazing.

Now, obviously, this allows you to check and clear codes.  But wait!  There's more!  Other cool stuff you can do:

• Graph and log engine data - Compare absolute throttle position with actual ECU throttle position (unsure if your engine is limited in 1st?  Now you'll know), compare RPM/load/fuel consumption, track actual fuel trim levels, monitor fuel consumption (instant fuel consumption in graph form, particularly paired with other engine data, can be quite handy) - there's literally hundreds of data points.  And download this data for import into spreadsheets, too.
  • Track actual wheel HP produced calculated by weight (bike and you) vs actual acceleration
  • Track 0-60mph / 0-100kph times automatically in the background (high scores! Yay! Practice launches with real data!)
  • Show (and graph, and log if you want) current lean angle 
  • Show (and graph, and log if you want) current acceleration/deceleration g-forces 
  • Include GPS display in your dashboards (with full mapping functionality) 
  • And so much more.  I'm too excited to really go into detail.  Once I get an appropriate MC dashboard set up, I'll post some videos :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but screens are distracting and you'll die!  Clearly, use responsibly.

Whose OBD Yamaha plug adapter / connector cable did you buy and from where?  I may need a longer cable to reach by the tail light because the McCruise takes up most of the space even though I long ago trimmed away the sides of the tray.  It won't under the seat lock?

I'm getting the MX+ ("on sale " now for 100 USD) to also run in the cages.

Thanks and happy holidays!

The adapter was just a cheap one on eBay.  There's enough cable between it and the stock harness to reach right back to the tail light, though I just cram mine under the seat latch.  

This one: 

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for...

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask something...? 

Am I correct in assuming that using the correct hardware I can use an app on my phone to display a customised dash? And if this is possible, could it be possible to remove the dash entirely and replace it with a dock for my phone that could run a virtual dash in place of the physical hardware, and if possible, make the bike unusable/unstartable without the phone which would increase it's security? 

Edited by N1ghtr0d

• 9 months later...

Post  Resurrection 😁.

I just bought the OBDLink LX as well as the Yamaha specific adapter from the same recommend vendor from eBay by OP. 

No luck connecting to my 2016 FJ-09.  The unit is powered up, connected to device via Bluetooth with no issues. Lights turn ON unit itself when trying to connect to ECU.  Followed recommend connection sequence as well by other poster here, no luck.

Tried the OBDLink LX on other vehicles (cars) and it all works. 

Firmware version: 5.6.19

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Edited by wildcard75

11 hours ago, wildcard75 said:

Post  Resurrection 😁.

I kinda gave up on getting it to work on my 2016 FJ-09 but havn't tried using a different adaptor cable yet. I'm stuck at where the adaptor is paired but it cannot connect to the ECU

Edited by smeller