Fuse Box and Relay Install energized by Switched power

Samaha

Today I installed a 6 Way Blade Fuse Box with Ground Negative Bus bar under my seat.  The purpose is to send power to an accessory (i.e., Aux lights, USB socket, etc.,) without going through the bikes existing wiring system.  Alternatively, some bikes provide aux power plugs but with certain amp limitations. 

For me the benefit is going to one identifiable source if a fuse blows in the middle of nowhere.  This block also lights up red in each bank where a fuse is blown.  This box allows a 100A total rating and a maximum 30A rating for each individual fuse. 

Project materials and tools:

•         Fuse Box with Ground Negative Bus bar $13
  •          12 AWG Waterproof Relay 5-PIN SPDT $5
  •         12AWG Inline Wire 30A Fuse $5
  •          12 AWG Flexible Stranded Oxygen Free Copper Red/Black Wire
  •          16 AWG Flexible Stranded Oxygen Free Copper Wire
  •          Heat Shrink Wire Connectors
  •          Heat Shrink Crimping Tool
  •          Heat Gun

4 Easy Steps

Step 1 – Remove the rear seat and bolt down the Fuse block to the plastic tray.  I had to shave down the right plastic circle on the tray for the Fuse Block to lay flat and drill two holes for the bolts. (See Fuse Block Install 1)

Step 2 - Print and Study the wiring diagram instructions. (See Fuse Block Install 2)

Step 3 – Prep the Relay by using heat shrink wire connectors to connect the following: (See Fuse Block Install 3)

12AWG inline fuse to Pin 30 (Red)

1 foot of 16AWG wire to Pin 85 (Black)

3 feet of 16AWG wire to Pin 86 (White)

1 foot of 12AWG wire to Pin 87 (Blue)

Leave Pin 87A (Yellow) disconnected – I put a wire cap on this wire

Finally cut 2 feet of 16AWG wire to connect the Battery ground (-) to the fuse block main ground (-)

Step 4 - Follow the wiring diagram instructions.  For the switched power connection, find and cut the License plate light wire.  Join/crimp the 16AWG wire from the Relay (Pin 86) to the (+) part of the License plate light wire (blue color).  Rejoin/crimp the (-) part of the License plate light wire (black color).  (See Fuse Block Install 4)

Step 5 – Test the Fuse Box by turning on the ignition.  I used an old turn signal light.  (See Fuse Block Install 5)

After organizing the materials and tools, this job took me 1 hour.

Fuse Block Install 1.jpg

Fuse Block Install 2.jpg

Fuse Block Install 3.jpg

Fuse Block Install 4.jpg

Fuse Block Install 5.jpg

Edited by Samaha
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

A noob question, was reading the manual and different fuse amp, I google and it seems not all fuse are the same in terms of size, there are the standard one and mini one. What does our tracer gt fuse, standard or mini, I found these 2 common fuses, one look pointed and the other flat. 

spoke to ex tracer rider, they advice to carry additional fuse as often bike in trouble The culprit is always to check the fuse first. 

4016D6AD-BE5A-4061-9E30-987E2A48F8F3.jpeg

0CCED757-8AA3-461A-9B6A-E6453223B43B.jpeg

• Premium Member

Nicely done @Samaha.

I installed one of these Fuzeblock units which does basically the same thing. But the Fuzeblock costs $90, not $15. Where did you get that? 

It looks like your fuse box has spade connectors. If anyone else uses the Fuzeblock device, it will be a lot easier to use if you put ferrules on the wire ends. You can get a decent ferrule crimper and assorted ferrules for about $26 online. 

KIMG2393.JPG

KIMG2392.JPG

ferrule-crimper.jpg

Hi Guys, need some technical help here. Intend to purchase a set of Fuses to keep in my bike, for IN CASE.... 

Managed to find a local site which is too technical, wrote to them and they have narrow down the link, but still do not understand these 2 choices, which of these 2 choices should i choose..... huh... much appreciate guys. 

1. 1ka at 32 VDC

2. 1ka at 32 VAC/VDC

https://my.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/Fuses/Automotive-Fuses/_/N-ba8b5?P=1yocc0hZ1z0z80rZ1z0s1fu

https://my.mouser.com/Circuit-Protection/Fuses/Automotive-Fuses/_/N-ba8b5?P=1yocc0hZ1z0z80rZ1yth2vaZ1z0x87n