Front Sprocket Nut Questions

I’m about to do some sprocket swapping on my FJ just for fun.

Question:  is the front sprocket nut and washer reusable, and by how much.

OEM nut n washer is over $20 and I hope not to incur that expense each time I change a sprocket.

Thanks for your insight and expertise folks,

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Officially 'no', it's a one-time use nut because of the indents that act like a lock washer.

Not sure if anyone heeds that?  I didn't out of necessity...meaning, I ordered sprockets and chain but didn't know about the nut.  I had a ride planned the next day, so it was necessary to re-use the old one...lol.

I have a new one now.  I think it was $12 CAD from the dealer, but had to wait a week-ish for it to arrive.

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, nhchris said:

I’m about to do some sprocket swapping on my FJ just for fun.

Question:  is the front sprocket nut and washer reusable, and by how much.

OEM nut n washer is over $20 and I hope not to incur that expense each time I change a sprocket.

Thanks for your insight and expertise folks,

Like @knyte mentioned, 'technically' it is supposed to be a single use but then so are drain plug crush washers.🤷‍♀️

If you are going to be swapping sprockets back and forth experimenting, I would just reuse it for the time being and order a new one when you decide on your final sprocket.  Just be sure to stake the sprocket after torquing it on.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

You really should replace it.   It’s staked in place from the factory (or at least it’s supposed to be; mine was barely finger tight), and won’t be nearly as effective if you try and reuse.   

Here’s the way the stock one came off of mine.  It’s toast: 

42E13CDC-B850-4653-B277-1ABBA9963FE0.thumb.jpeg.670bdc47ee93bdd801f630b09a98aead.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I had (have) a new nut on stand-by, but managed to remove the old one without damaging it. When re-torqued, the nut landed in a slightly different position on the shaft. Maybe a bit of luck there.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Seems like a rather poor fastener for such an important function.  A nut with a nylon collar would seem to be a logical replacement.

Does the nut tighten in the direction of shaft rotation (reverse thread)?  That would make sense also, no?

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

It tightens in the normal direction. I used a new one but probably could have reused the old one. It’s a very light nut to hold something on that rotates at such high speed!

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Here comes 50/50 IQ question. If/Should I find out after setting to rain (bike should be in next week), the bike is still surging ahead when little throttle is use instead of smooth acceleration, changing the front sprocket errr....smaller 1 cog or larger 1 cog to get the smooth acceleration, which in turn lower the torque feel. 

Any Tracer user managed to increase/decrease the front sprocket for smoother ride and how was it. 

As bike not here yet, am unable to feel the ori, but that was my plan, should the sudden surge on current setting is not to my liking. 

@WKE002, try riding in B mode for a while and I'm sure you'll find it very smooth. Then STD and it will also be great once you are used to the bike in general. I would do that before thinking about front sprocket changes.

If you go down that route, you can alter the number of teeth to give you less agressive acceleration and higher highway speed. But, I don't think it will do much about throttle jerkiness as that is more of a fuelling issue. 

In all, try the bike first!

• Thumbsup 3

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

1 hour ago, BBB said:

@WKE002, try riding in B mode for a while and I'm sure you'll find it very smooth. Then STD and it will also be great once you are used to the bike in general. I would do that before thinking about front sprocket changes.

Seconded. I was feeling quite nervous about the combined throttle twitchiness/engine braking when going into bends hard.
Switched to B mode, got used to things, now back in std mode now I am more used to the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

I think part of the issue is the close ratios in the transmission.

You can avoid hard engine braking if you keep revs up when dropping gears.  i often down shift without moving the throttle / wrist at all and then make small throttle adjustments.

i once read that smooth is fast!

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, WKE002 said:

Here comes 50/50 IQ question. If/Should I find out after setting to rain (bike should be in next week), the bike is still surging ahead when little throttle is use instead of smooth acceleration, changing the front sprocket errr....smaller 1 cog or larger 1 cog to get the smooth acceleration, which in turn lower the torque feel. 

Any Tracer user managed to increase/decrease the front sprocket for smoother ride and how was it. 

As bike not here yet, am unable to feel the ori, but that was my plan, should the sudden surge on current setting is not to my liking. 

I agree with the others, the feeling of 'surging' is related to fueling not sprocket choice.  Also know that one of the characteristics of this engine is its willingness to rev, -in my experience- the motor feels better at or over 5k rpm, especially if you are in a higher gear, it doesn't feel smooth if you lug the motor.  Rev it out. 

DO NOT follow the recommended shift points, they are ridiculously conservative.

Anyway, according to the manual, the shift points are:
1st to 2nd- 12 mph
2nd to 3rd- 19 mph
3rd to 4th- 25 mph
4th to 5th- 31 mph
5th to 6th- 37 mph

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I think a lot of folks come to the CP3 motor from bikes that are not as revvy. V twins, V4s, etc.

I had to get friendly with higher RPMs coming from an ST 1300 that rarely saw 6 grand.

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09