Phone Mount

So this is the final product :)   It does still have some vibration (tested idling and revving not riding yet, but it does seem far reduced.   There isn't much of a way to remove all vibration unless I put something real floaty cause everything on the bike has a vibration.   But its FAR different than the vibrations the handlebars seem to have. 

The plate has some VHB tape on the bottom to secure it solidly to the plastic (and to protect the plastic).   

I am going to replace the hardware (screws/washers) tomorrow with better ones, but it seems to work!

I may make a change to have a few mounting positions , I do know if its closer to the gas cap, the plate vibrates a bit less. 

20200716_234749326_iOS.thumb.jpg.3e2f72a288821594e4f1b25de9e63b57.jpg20200716_231239045_iOS.thumb.jpg.f50823851dc0ac3763b07508a40b7995.jpg

20200716_234503596_iOS.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Clegg78 said:

So this is the final product :)   It does still have some vibration (tested idling and revving not riding yet, but it does seem far reduced.

Nice fabrication work 👍. Gadget itself would be a bit too low and too far back for me. No tank bag in your future?... or do you think it would still work.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

Nice fabrication work 👍. Gadget itself would be a bit too low and too far back for me. No tank bag in your future?... or do you think it would still work.

So, I have used tank bags a ton in the past, but so far on the tracer I haven't.     I haven’t been shopping for them either, I have an old bags-connection day pack for the last 10 years or so.   I have really liked them in the past but may be willing to just use my jacket to carry gear I need.   

here is a pic of my old “day pack” in relation to the mount using the short RAM arm.   I think it could work with the long RAM mount. 

AB5475A8-A2E7-45A2-A5DF-96ABB663CD9B.jpeg

Edited by Clegg78

I'm using the rokform mount. It's pretty sleek and the install/removal of the phone is super quick, no squishing of buttons like I experienced with the ram mount. Hold without any worries at speed on the highway..

I used to have a samsung phone so I had the rokform case with the integrated lock and magnet thing. Now I use the add on on my spigen case for my pixel 2xl. 

• Thumbsup 1

Installed the handlebar clamp RAM Ball last night that attaches to the handlebar clamp. Removed the lower left bolt and installed the ball there. I already had the phone mount and articulating extension arm. It looks good and is completely our of the way of the speedo. I think these rubber balls will absorb a lot of the vibration so not concerned with that. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, cyclonicks said:

I'm using the rokform mount. It's pretty sleek and the install/removal of the phone is super quick, no squishing of buttons like I experienced with the ram mount. Hold without any worries at speed on the highway...

Could have sworn they didn't make cases for Android just a short while back... but now I see that they do. Looks interesting, save for that giant hole in the back of the case. Is the case snug up against the phone?

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, piotrek said:

Could have sworn they didn't make cases for Android just a short while back... but now I see that they do. Looks interesting, save for that giant hole in the back of the case. Is the case snug up against the phone?

I’ve used a RokForm bar mount for years, and have been very happy with it.  You do need to use their phone case with the system, but I’ve found the RokForm cases are high quality, rugged, and fit the phone perfectly.   I use an iPhone X, but would expect the same for other supported phones.   

• Thumbsup 1

Details and specifications of the RAM® X-Grip® Phone Mount with RAM®...

Have been using this for 3 bikes now. The same one. So six years now.. Mounts dead center on the handlebars so no vibrations. And you can adjust it up and down for use with a tank bag (sw motech quick lock evo) and phone size etc I have a note8. I can still see the speedometer when phone is in landscape. You just gotta glue the little rubber tips onto the pegs.

54 minutes ago, FJ29ER said:

Details and specifications of the RAM® X-Grip® Phone Mount with RAM®...

Have been using this for 3 bikes now. The same one. So six years now.. Mounts dead center on the handlebars so no vibrations. And you can adjust it up and down for use with a tank bag (sw motech quick lock evo) and phone size etc I have a note8. I can still see the speedometer when phone is in landscape. You just gotta glue the little rubber tips onto the pegs.

I too have used that one for 3 bikes and many, many years.  Center mounted on the bars (either via claw, clamp, or bolt) results in far less vibration.

I also learned about gluing the rubber feet onto the pegs:

20190330_085216.thumb.jpg.e9f83417b7802b4656a8726fd017e2e7.jpg

This is what happens when you don't use the rubber retaining net, don't glue your tips on, and do 180 down the highway.  My poor S8+ :(  Was in a Supcase armored case, which in it's defense did a pretty damn good job for a 180kph impact with the pavement - the phone was still functional afterwards, although I never did find the camera module. 

Now my feet are gorilla glued on, and are not coming off again!

• Thumbsup 1

I did a test ride and moved the phone and mount between the handlebars and the mount I printed, and the vibrations are FAR different.   On the bars its a ton of pretty sharp high frequency vibrations.   On the tank mount I built its more low frequency bobbing around in bigger motions.   That should mean less shock to the phone/camera as the phones are meant to deal with low frequency bouncing around like that. 

I am going to take some measurements and print up a bracket that goes from 2 unused holes on the gas tank (meant for the MT-09 bodywork I believe) to brace the front of the plastic collar around the tank.  I am going to use some OEM push rivets to secure it to that plastic collar under the phone mount to give it an OEM look.   That should remove some of the bouncing of the mount. 

The eye line of the phone now being where it is is pretty low for what I am used to ( dont like my eyes to be off the road that much) so the normal size RAM arm is what I am going to use to get it higher..

1 minute ago, Wintersdark said:

I too have used that one for 3 bikes and many, many years.  Center mounted on the bars (either via claw, clamp, or bolt) results in far less vibration.

I also learned about gluing the rubber feet onto the pegs:

This is what happens when you don't use the rubber retaining net, don't glue your tips on, and do 180 down the highway.  My poor S8+ :(  Was in a Supcase armored case, which in it's defense did a pretty damn good job for a 180kph impact with the pavement - the phone was still functional afterwards, although I never did find the camera module. 

Now my feet are gorilla glued on, and are not coming off again!

Yeah my first X-Grip mount I didnt realize you were supposed to glue the feed on and almost lost my phone the same way!

2 hours ago, FJ29ER said:

O GEEZ @Wintersdark At least you are here to talk about it! I learned on my dualsport, so a little easier way haha. Phone kept almost falling out.

I'd run mine without problems for years, but the rubber feet where aging and not gripping the posts as well anymore... I'd never really paid attention as it was always fine, but that was on old 80's bikes that struggled to get that fast, so I rarely was much over 160.  Well, lessons where learned :)

So I made some design changes to really stabilize the mount.  I used the 2 bolt holes that hold the side bodywork on and had to drill 2 small holes just about 30mm ahead of the exposed holes.   I used some modeling clay to figure out the clearances below the upper plastic work.  I printed a key shim to make the bodywork rigid. 

The difference is night and day in terms of stability.  Let’s me use a taller RAM arm and not have too much flex. 

6226068C-F17B-4BF3-827C-584F212095FE.jpeg

4D773CAB-70FB-44E4-B6A5-22ACDFB1CE4B.jpeg

6A9103E2-035D-4792-B7EC-F51F782EF0C0.jpeg

3EFD475C-D0E0-4143-8BA3-8A7D23673F76.jpeg

2E45D35A-03FC-4D11-BF57-353CE7D28AAB.jpeg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1