Phone Mount

22 hours ago, Shizzle said:

This is what I have and much better than the x-grip

RAM-B-138-PD4U.jpg

Huh; I've never seen this.  I'd like one.  I'd REALLY like one with wireless charging.  I bet that'd be stupid expensive, though, because RAM mount.

• Thumbsup 1

Just took the updated 4 bolt center tank mount on an aggressive canyon ride.... and the vibrations are so low on the phone that if you turn on the camera you actually can take video the OIS is that unburdened (not all the time mind you, but I was impressed).  I am going to change to using the phone horizontal.  I am designing a small "extra" cage or feet that come around the sides of the charger to give a little more security to the phone in that orientation. 

I have a small webstore that is going to open with some of the designs I've made for the Tracer (Innovv K2 camera mounts, this phone mount, and a few other farkles)  and a bunch of other hobbies (Photography, Backpacking, etc...) 

20200718_163413853_iOS.jpg

20200718_163352034_iOS.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

My last post on this topic for now :)    I wrote up my design and testing process for the mount I did.  It turned out far better than I expected it to.

20200718_163406080_iOS.jpg?w=640

Vibrating a camera to death Late last week I was reading about a...

If any of you want one of these mounts I will be getting them listed as a print to order item when I get an ordering website up. No idea on what the cost would be yet, I need to work on that.   But if you are interested DM me and I'll let you know when I am ready to make more. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, Wintersdark said:

Huh; I've never seen this.  I'd like one.  I'd REALLY like one with wireless charging.  I bet that'd be stupid expensive, though, because RAM mount.

They do make a Qi charging mount like this  

Details and specifications of the retail packaged RAM®...

7 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

They do make a Qi charging mount like this  

Details and specifications of the retail packaged RAM®...

Aaaaand, yeah, stupid expensive.  However, turns out eBay sells the wireless charging coils/pcb for like $5, so I'm gonna make my own :)

• Thumbsup 1

I use a cheap one from china that works great, easy to mount/dismount phone. The 15W wireless charging ensures that your phone is actually being recharged. A 5W charger can only just keep up with the consumption when running as GPS with full screen brightness.

• Thumbsup 1

48 minutes ago, smeller said:

I use a cheap one from china that works great, easy to mount/dismount phone. The 15W wireless charging ensures that your phone is actually being recharged. A 5W charger can only just keep up with the consumption when running as GPS with full screen brightness.

That’s a neat mount, it doesn’t list if it’s waterproof? 

also one of the perks of the expensive RAM charger mount is it has 3 coils in it, so if you have your phone off center (for button clearance or something) it will charge your phone still.  Single coil packs like the above are very touchy on where your phones Qi coils line up. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 7 months later...

So I wanted to give an update on this - 

1.  I used the RAM mount/Charger for ~ 3000mi of riding now with my phone actively using Google maps, playing spotify, and other things.  ZERO issues charging.    Used it in driving rain, snow, ice and hot desert sun (all in the same trip) and it never missed a beat.  

2. The 3D printed mount worked out great, just enough flex to null out high frequency vibrations that kill phone cameras and a little bounce so it doesn't break on big bumps or hits.   I really liked having the phone not on the bars. 

3.   I will be getting these parts for the 3D printed mount plate (For MY2019-2020 Tracer 900's) listed on my new website JK3D.us in the coming week for sale (waiting on some filament and need to take some screw measurements.)  

cropped-Logo-3-1-e1612843293971.jpg?fit=

Specialized 3D Printed Products and Services

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thanks 1

So, I actually did make my own - I used those ebay coils that sell for $5 each (actually, pairs of coils, you can get the triple sets too but because your phone always sits in the mount in exactly the same place, even a single coil is fine if you position it properly) and it's worked fine through a summer, fall, and winter of riding. 

Turns out they support wireless fast charging, too, so for $5 you can turn your existing RAM X-Grip (or whatever else) mount into a wireless charger.  I just peeled off the rubbery RAM X-Grip sticker and replaced it with my coil.

I just poured resin over the coil for waterproofing.  It's critical that there's as little space between the coil itself and the coil inside your phone, as the charging power available will fall off exponentially with distance between the coils.  It was thrown together really quick and dirty, but it's 100% waterproof and has weathered every kind of, errr, weather:

1193759022_2020-08-0719_12_22.thumb.jpg.3bb2514e6585a7701037718bed7af154.jpg

• Thumbsup 2