Speedometer calibration

knyte

• Supporting Member

In searching around, it seems that the speedo should be pretty accurate.

I find my 2015 FJ to read quite a bit faster than what my GPS reads.  I haven't worked out the % of error.  I have changed chain and sprockets, but haven't deviated from factory.  It's still out of whack

Can this be calibrated?  I'd prefer to avoid the SpeedoHealer (I use that name generically) route (had to install one on my DL1000.  It's not the work involved so much as the expense.  I'd install one if needed; just not sure it is).

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Hm, Yamaha must have changed something when comparing the FJ and the 900GT then.

My speedometer doesn't seem to be very accurate when compared to the GPS. The higher the speed the bigger the difference. It is up to 10 kilometers slower than my GPS shows. Well, it keeps me safe from too many speeding tickets I guess...

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

That's roughly what I'm seeing, too, but it reads fast compared to GPS readings.  The math will work out to an error in %.

Edited by knyte

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 1 year later...

Recently checked my 2020 gt against my phone Gps.  Bike indicated 110 Kph and Gps said 102Kph.  So the speedometer is about 8% optimistic.  However the odometer is only 2 or 3 percent off.  So if I correct the speedometer with a Speedo Healer, then my odometer will be way off, is that correct?

Same issue with the 2021, I have noticed about a 10% fudge factor in the speedometer after passing high score signs. I keep meaning to set up an app to see what the GPS is reading out comparatively but haven't yet. If I do I will try to remember to report the results. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

At the next tire swap (possibly sooner...) I plan on installing these for a somewhat low-tech fix.

It's a minor gripe, but I miss the large display / readout.  Currently I've been using my Garmin as a speedo, but the screen is considerably smaller and finding the right group of numbers can take just a few ms longer than desired.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:51 PM, Wintersdark said:

every single car reads about that high too.

My BMW 320d is within 3km/h of my Garmin up to 180km/h so it's deadly accurate.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, knyte said:

At the next tire swap (possibly sooner...) I plan on installing these for a somewhat low-tech fix.

It's a minor gripe, but I miss the large display / readout.  Currently I've been using my Garmin as a speedo, but the screen is considerably smaller and finding the right group of numbers can take just a few ms longer than desired.

I don't see it in your tag line @knyte but do you have a McCruise?  I only ask as there is an add on for the McCruise that does just what you want for a reasonable price.

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

do you have a McCruise?

Hey, thanks! I didn't know that.  No, I don't have one - yet.  Still haven't settled on a CC solution yet, but McCruise is certainly in the back of my mind.

Price-wise they seem very close.  It looks like the McCruise is a bit cheaper.

I've already ordered the correcting rings...

Weird... my 2015 only reads slightly below actual speed shown on GPS. Maybe 1 or 2mph at highway speed.

I know it's had an ECU reflash; were they fairly accurate from the factory, or was mine corrected from the re-flash?

Just about every other bike I've owned reads the standard 7% or 8% under.

• Supporting Member
On 7/29/2021 at 1:36 AM, knyte said:

Hey, thanks! I didn't know that.  No, I don't have one - yet.  Still haven't settled on a CC solution yet, but McCruise is certainly in the back of my mind.

Price-wise they seem very close.  It looks like the McCruise is a bit cheaper.

I've already ordered the correcting rings...

I've just ordered one for myself as I was looking a little while back for a speedo correcting option and was looking at both the rings and a Healtech option at the time.  I thought I'd ponder on it for a little while longer and just recently came across the McCruise option that I wasn't even aware of.

As I have a McCruise it made my choice so much easier.  The good thing about this type of option (Healtech included) is that it can be recalibrated if required with tyre and sprocket changes.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

New ABS rings from Vcyclenut arrived Thursday.  I hope to install them this weekend.