TPMS Systems

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

With the FOBO all you have to do is fire up the app and if in range it takes a few seconds then updates the pressures. I would think that you have to have it running in the background to be able to get real-time monitoring and warnings for loss of pressure etc .

Ah, yes... forgot it's an app based monitor. I suppose one benefit would be that you'd get an audible alert via a BT communicator, if you have one. My bar mounted unit (non-BT) will flash and has an audible alert, but the audible is useless while riding of course.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, piotrek said:

My bar mounted unit (non-BT) will flash and has an audible alert, but the audible is useless while riding of course.

I think I have the same TPMS unit as you do, I got a puncture earlier this year and while the audible alert can't be heard while riding at speed, the flashing red light caught my attention and I was able to turn around and get to a service station.  It works as advertised. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

12 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

I have a dedicated nav phone that runs my GPS and music, and connects to my FOBO TPMS. I have it set so the app starts up when I connect my Cardo to the phone. There is even a little widget that will float over my map to display the pressure. 

What is the name of the widget and is it available for iOS / iPhone?

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

What is the name of the widget and is it available for iOS / iPhone?

It's part of the FOBO app. I am not sure if it is available on the iOS version. On Android, you have to go into the app settings to turn it on, and it requires permissions to be able to float on top of other apps. 

3 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

It's part of the FOBO app. I am not sure if it is available on the iOS version. On Android, you have to go into the app settings to turn it on, and it requires permissions to be able to float on top of other apps. 

Thanks. In the Manual Section 5.8 is for "Overlay Services" and it says it's only for Android. That is what I get for switching over to iOS. Maybe I will have to look for an old Android phone that I can use exclusively on the bike as a GPS and platform for FOBO. 🤔

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Thanks. In the Manual Section 5.8 is for "Overlay Services" and it says it's only for Android. That is what I get for switching over to iOS. Maybe I will have to look for an old Android phone that I can use exclusively on the bike as a GPS and platform for FOBO. 🤔

I bought a relatively cheap rugged phone (Oukitel WP8 Pro). Sadly, I didn't look closely enough at the specs, and it has a micro USB port, instead of USB-C. There are lots of options for that type of phone. I am probably going to upgrade to one with wireless charging soon. 

I like having my actual phone separate from the phone mounted on the bike. iPhones are notorious for breaking cameras when mounted to a bike too, so that's another reason to go the Android route.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
19 hours ago, betoney said:

I think I have the same TPMS unit as you do...

Same unit... followed your lead on the purchase actually. It holds charge and the kit is fairly accurate/consistent for the price. Typically reports within .5 psi of the gauge.

• Like 1

Just got back from a 600 mile, two day ride through Ebbetts and Sonora passes. I had a tire malfunction at the base of the valve stem heading out of Sonora, CA today, caused by overtightening the FOBO2 unit (I assume). Nothing wrong with the product, just thought it was ironic that my newly installed TPMS system caused a tire pressure failure.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

Calling @betoney. Are you experiencing display fogging/condensation issues with the Sykik unit? I noticed this in the Spring on cooler days, and now again with the Fall temperatures. This happens when I leave the bike in the sun for a bit. It clears pretty quickly... just annoying to see it happen. I imagine this is probably not happening to @dazzler24, but maybe.

sykik_cond.thumb.jpg.1224e63cae5462d1156aa899fc9419fe.jpg

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Calling @betoney. Are you experiencing display fogging/condensation issues with the Sykik unit? I noticed this in the Spring on cooler days, and now again with the Fall temperatures. This happens when I leave the bike in the sun for a bit. It clears pretty quickly... just annoying to see it happen. I imagine this is probably not happening to @dazzler24, but maybe.

sykik_cond.thumb.jpg.1224e63cae5462d1156aa899fc9419fe.jpg

I remember that happening one time and it went away after a moment of riding in the sun.  At least for me it isn't a regular occurrence.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***