TPMS Systems

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, betoney said:

I remember that happening one time and it went away after a moment of riding in the sun.  At least for me it isn't a regular occurrence.

Thanks... yeah, it will happen to me on cool sunny days... on first stop over somewhere. It then goes away for rest of the day. Not happening on overcast days. I will just have to accept this as a feature. 🤨

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, piotrek said:

Calling @betoney. Are you experiencing display fogging/condensation issues with the Sykik unit? I noticed this in the Spring on cooler days, and now again with the Fall temperatures. This happens when I leave the bike in the sun for a bit. It clears pretty quickly... just annoying to see it happen. I imagine this is probably not happening to @dazzler24, but maybe.

sykik_cond.thumb.jpg.1224e63cae5462d1156aa899fc9419fe.jpg

Yes, I have the 'fogging' issue as well and under the same/similar conditions.  I've taken to popping open the rubber waterproofing boot on the left hand side which seems to minimise the problem.  I assume that any condensation that happens (if that's what it is) will have an exit out through the hole while in the sun and with the breeze while riding.

A minor thing but still an undocumented feature that we would prefer to have not had.

• Thumbsup 1

• 11 months later...
  • Supporting Member

My Sykik TPMS head unit is kaput. Display went dim and the thing will not hold charge. I took it apart... found it wet inside, with corrosion on electronics. Cleaned and dried the board and the battery, but to no avail. It suffered from condensation issues from day one... and I guess it's had enough. On my Atlantic Canada trip it was fogged up pretty much all the time. I am going to try the TPMS from Cyclops Adventure Sports (here). I recall that @sirepair was happy with it.

20220923_173359.jpg.7b18623e1cbf9483e3f7334e038795aa.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I got two Garmin TPMS sensors for use with my ZUMO 595LM a couple of years ago but cant find a third one to use on the Niken. Garmin has stopped making the wheel sensors, any leads for these appreciated. 

Anyone tried using non Garmin sensors with the Zumo?

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/131744

So I haven' t had any issues with the Sykik unit, but I also 3D printed a little enclosure to keep rain and stuff off of it a bit (and sun a little so I can read it.)  I also 3D printed a new mount for it to keep it up at closer to eye level  now.   I havent released the part designs because I didnt think anyone would care or need this.  

image.png.2530dfd6d7ea69c25df1297b6ff61033.pngimage.thumb.png.0632acd252d074346527e74aaef0071e.png20220912_152720922_iOS.thumb.jpg.d5f419671867a69e0736b0ffd3ec0efc.jpg20220912_152737764_iOS.thumb.jpg.e7070aa87fecc6587a8078026d541a6c.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
On 9/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, Clegg78 said:

So I haven' t had any issues with the Sykik unit, but I also 3D printed a little enclosure to keep rain and stuff off of it a bit (and sun a little so I can read it.)...  

image.png.2530dfd6d7ea69c25df1297b6ff61033.png

Looks good 👍, although I don't think it was the rain that killed my Sykik. I suspect that the unit was a bit of a lemon... always a crap-shoot with these products. Something CAD $80+ that lives on my handlebar should be able to handle the outdoors... and a bit of moisture every now an again. 😏

Edited by piotrek

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, piotrek said:

Looks good 👍, although I don't think it was the rain that killed my Sykik. I suspect that the unit was a bit of a lemon...

You may have gotten a faulty unit, my Sykik was installed in June 2020 and has been faultless.  I swap the unit and sensors between my two bikes and have monitored the air pressure for 32k miles over 2 years and the sensors are still on the original batteries.

If mine decides to die on me some day, I consider it $50 well spent.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@Clegg78 great mount and mounting location!  Do you ride in a lot of heavy rain?  I like the looks of that system but worry about the weatherproofing.  Maybe the one that failed was a not so good one.  

Hope you post the files - I love to print but am worthless with CAD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

I ended up buying a unit branded "NEWekey" on Amazon for CAD $60. It is made by LFF (Chinese electronics manufacturer), also sold under a "SPY" brand. They OEM the unit for Cyclops in a wired configuration. I thought I would buy the inexpensive battery model and mod it.

I wired the unit for 12V through a step-down regulator I had available from an old gadget. A waterproof connector set was a minor additional expense. A little bit of tinkering... saved some CAD $140 overall. We shall see how this works out. The display alternates between pressure and temperature. The sensors both report within 1 PSI of my gauge. Good enough.

newekey_assy.thumb.jpg.a0351e7fb5c45df457ba5e6c4c3ac773.jpg

newekey_display(1).thumb.jpg.721443d2448903974761cfd80e5b513e.jpg

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, betoney said:

You may have gotten a faulty unit, my Sykik was installed in June 2020 and has been faultless.  I swap the unit and sensors between my two bikes and have monitored the air pressure for 32k miles over 2 years and the sensors are still on the original batteries.

If mine decides to die on me some day, I consider it $50 well spent.

Just an update to my previous post. While returning from my trip to California on Friday, the battery on the rear wheel sensor finally died.  I’m going to replace both front and rear batteries as a set as the front is sure to follow suit soon. 
I’m not sure what others are getting for battery longevity on the wheel sensors but over 2 years seems pretty good to me. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Question on these tpms

Do the sensors work on a 90° aluminum valve stem or would the centrifugal force stress them and cause issues?

Also, does the sensor depress the tire valve so if the sensor fails pressure is lost?

Yes, the stems work on 90° stems, in fact the website where I bought mine recommend using them on the aluminum stems instead of OEM rubber stems.

When you install the sensor cap it depresses the valve core, so whether the sensor is functioning and reading the pressure or malfunctioned completely the sensor  is still depressing the valve.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, betoney said:

Just an update to my previous post. While returning from my trip to California on Friday, the battery on the rear wheel sensor finally died.  I’m going to replace both front and rear batteries as a set as the front is sure to follow suit soon. 
I’m not sure what others are getting for battery longevity on the wheel sensors but over 2 years seems pretty good to me. 

I've typically gotten 2 years out of batteries on the TPMS sensors I've installed.  You can get a 10 pack of the CR1632 button batteries for less than $6.00 on Amazon.  I keep a spare set in the tank bag of each bike.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

Yes, the stems work on 90° stems, in fact the website where I bought mine recommend using them on the aluminum stems instead of OEM rubber stems.

When you install the sensor cap it depresses the valve core, so whether the sensor is functioning and reading the pressure or malfunctioned completely the sensor  is still depressing the valve.

Thanks  Which unit do you have and can you buy extra sensors so you can transfer the read out unit between 2 bikes or more?

What are the other ones that are Bluetooth and is it worth bothering with as long as the unit you have flashes brght enough to see it, I know the audible is useless