• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Garmin Zumo XT issues with Cardo PackTalk Bold

Motocheck

• Premium Member

Recently I purchased Garmin Zumo XT and I paired it with my iPhone as well as Cardo as a GPS. Here is my setup:

iPhone connect with PTB (Cardo Packtalk Bold) as phone 1
Garmin Zumo XT connect with PTB as GPS
Garmin Zumo XT connect with iPhone as Bluetooth

Issue #1: As soon as Garmin connects with PTB my phone lost Bluetooth connection with PTB, is this normal? I am still able to receive phone calls - no issues, but I can't open the Cardo app on my phone to do setting adjustments. I checked with my friend who also has a PTB, Garmin Zumo 595 and Samsung Android phone and he is experiencing the same.

Issue #2: As I mostly ride with group we connect with each other via DMC - Mesh. I have had issues since I paired Garmin Zumo XT that when I answered the phone call I was still able to communicate with my buddies via DMC and also able to hear other parties on the other side of the phone, whereas previously DMC disconnected me and I privately talked over the phone. DMC members nor does phone caller hear each other, unless I shared the call with DMC members.

Anyone else experiencing similar issue?

I just opened a ticket with Cardo support and will wait for their feedback.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kilo3 said:

As a 7 year vet of tech support, have you updated your firmware on the cardo and garmin?

Next, are you sure this isn't a feature not a bug?

That's what I first thought, so I make sure all the devices are on the latest released firmware.

I don't think anybody wants group member to listen my end of the phone conversation. I do not think its a feature, its really annoying to do multi tasking and to tell entire group to stop talking as I am on the phone with my wife 😄 .

Unless someone guide me how to turn it off. 🥴

• Supporting Member

I wonder if there are too many BT connections?  Later versions of BT (version matters!) have more advanced features.  I'm guessing that one or more of the gadgets may have an earlier version of BT?  Just spitballin'.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, knyte said:

I wonder if there are too many BT connections?  Later versions of BT (version matters!) have more advanced features.  I'm guessing that one or more of the gadgets may have an earlier version of BT?  Just spitballin'.

I know my phone is on BT ver 5.0, PTB is 4.1. Can’t seems to find XT BT version. 

Generally speaking, you can only have one device functioning as a headset (microphone) on a phone. So when the xumo connects to your phone, it becomes your phones headset (so you can call through the zumo). I don't recall if headset functionality is required for the Garmin Drive app to function, but you might try disabling that feature on the wireless devices screen of the zumo. In that way, your phone to cardo pairing can still function outside of the zumo.

Personally, once I got the volumes setup the way I like using the cardo connect app, I never bothered connecting the phone to the headset again. All of my comms run through the zumo now.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, SKYFLIX said:

Generally speaking, you can only have one device functioning as a headset (microphone) on a phone. So when the xumo connects to your phone, it becomes your phones headset (so you can call through the zumo). I don't recall if headset functionality is required for the Garmin Drive app to function, but you might try disabling that feature on the wireless devices screen of the zumo. In that way, your phone to cardo pairing can still function outside of the zumo.

Personally, once I got the volumes setup the way I like using the cardo connect app, I never bothered connecting the phone to the headset again. All of my comms run through the zumo now.

@SKYFLIX do you have issue #2 with this setup?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So here is the solution for my issues posted by fellow rider on Zumo forum:

First pairing cell phone with the XT, and getting Drive working correctly.

Then pair cell phone as phone #1 to the Bold via BT. Then pair the GPS to the Bold as phone #2 via BT.

Followed above sequence and it fixed both issues. BTW I haven’t heard back from Cardo yet 😧

Thanks for all who chime in to assist. ☺️

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Motocheck,

I have almost identical set up to you and have connected my devices in the same way. In that setup I have noticed that when the zumo want's to provide an audio message it cuts across the DMC comms rather than quietening down the comms to provide an instruction. I believe it is doing this as it is on the 2nd PT phone channel and so the PT see's it as a call coming in and won't mix the audio making it hard to hold conversations when the Zumo wants to say something. Have you had similar experience and/or found a way to hook all 3 devices up so it just works and mixes the audio as you would expect?

I find whatever I do I either loose some functionality such as shuttle control from the headset if phone to 2nd PT channel or the audio cut across issues as described above.