New member with a shiny new 900 GT

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Andy434 said:

Hi all, this is my first post after buying my 900 GT a couple of months ago. The tips and advice from this forum have given me the confidence to add stuff to the bike myself that ordinarily I would have paid someone to do. So far I have swapped out the auxiliary socket for a double USB unit. Wired my sat nav into the spare socket under the screen, added an Evotech radiator guard, break and clutch levers, fitted Pyramid Plastic carbon fibre hand guard and rear hugger extensions and yesterday afternoon fitted a Black Widow exhaust system (which for the price £379.99 delivered to my front door) I think is awesome value for money. Happy to do a full post on my buying and fitting experience (with pics if the limits of my technological know how permit) if anyone is interested.

Welcome, Andy!  Glad to have you!

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Andy434 said:

The tips and advice from this forum have given me the confidence to add stuff to the bike myself that ordinarily I would have paid someone to do.

Good on you for jumping in there and trying it yourself.  😎👍

Once the average bike owner gets over the intimidation of tearing into something the first time they are surprised how easy it actually is.  Even a top ASE certified mechanic had to do a task for the first time.

For any new bike owner, I would recommend learning how to at least take it apart down to the air filter,  just for the knowledge of the order of how all the panels fit together.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Andy, from a fellow GT owner. You have to watch out hanging around this place, it can get real expensive trying to keep up with all the Mods people do. 

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, WKE002 said:

does your exhaust look like it’s rusted, was thinking to use high temperature spray.

I don't know if it is actually rust but it definitely gets a weathered and dirty appearance look very quickly.  High temp paint would make it look much better.

Thanks Betoney, when I was at the shop, there are 2 brand new units and since was so excited, did not see that while my wife was the one pointing to below both bikes looks such condition, and a check in other shops also has the same thing.

Need to learn more to be confident to remove it and give a nice coat of high temp paint. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, WKE002 said:

Need to learn more to be confident to remove it and give a nice coat of high temp paint. 

Removing the pipe isn't difficult, it is easiest while on the side stand, so you can move the center stand up and down as you rotate the pipe out.

I did it by myself but it would be easier with a second set of hands.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/21/2020 at 2:31 AM, WKE002 said:

As yours is new bike as I am whom got it like a week ago, does your exhaust look like it’s rusted, was thinking to use high temperature spray. 

7D1A4417-C156-4EF1-B475-4A98A52A5ED8.jpeg

I agree that upgrading the exhaust would be preferred but if you are looking for a low cost solution, I pulled from my days of racing moto with unpainted pipes and used 3M 7448 Light Gray Ultra Fine Scotch Brite pads with a little WD-40.  I didn't spend a lot of time to get the pipe perfect but I added pics so you can see the result.  I found them on Amazon with the maroon pads for under $20USD [https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VCCZW9/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_oZjgFbCVP03RJ]

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_8443.jpeg

IMG_8886.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Nastele, 

Placed ordered for 3m 7448, likely will not remove the whole exhaust system as each of the pipe has a washer, not sure after dismantling can used back that washer or need new one. will just make do with these pad first, if not satisfied, will than check with service if could purchase the washer and go with heated paint. 

• Thumbsup 1