McKenzie Pass

keithu

• Supporting Member

@keithu - Thanks for the photos, I LOVE riding McKenzie Pass, too bad its only open a few months a year.

Funny you mention getting up there early, I have a buddy with an FJ who lives right there in Bend, I texted him this morning and suggested he pack a thermos and ride up there real early and enjoy a cup of coffee in solitude. 😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, betoney said:

@keithu

Funny you mention getting up there early, I have a buddy with an FJ who lives right there in Bend, I texted him this morning and suggested he pack a thermos and ride up there real early and enjoy a cup of coffee in solitude. 😎👍

I got to the pass at 8:15am. I had actually hoped to get there a little earlier but I couldn't drag my lazy ass out of bed.

I'm glad I got there when I did. I hiked around and lingered for half an hour. By the time I left around 8:45am the crowds were starting to roll in.

Here's my route:

Screenshot_20200718-130044.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Some amazing scenery to ride through. Could you tell me please, what is the building in the 4th photo down, the stone built one on top of the hill?

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, betoney said:

@keithu - Have you ridden Aufderheide?  It runs along Cougar Reservoir all the way to Westfir on 58. Very nice ride.

Yes, many times. Unfortunately the last time I was on Aufderheide about three years ago some sections were ruinously potholed, to an extent where I don't even consider it safe to ride. And then last year there was a landslide near Cougar Reservoir that closed the road all summer. I think they cleared that but I haven't bothered to check current road conditions.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Stew said:

Some amazing scenery to ride through. Could you tell me please, what is the building in the 4th photo down, the stone built one on top of the hill?

That is Dee Wright Observatory, built as a WPA project in the 1930s. Most of my lava field photos were taken atop the observatory. Here's a view inside.

2020_0718_07524800.jpg

• Thanks 1