Talk me out of the FJ-09

As someone whose had more than 20 motorcycles of all flavors over the years and averages about 10000 miles on a bike each year (last year was an oddball, about 21000 miles in 12 months) you would think I'd be able to relax when a new bike is released but noooooo.

So I am stuck going back and forth between a smart money decision and going into debt.

The smart side of Jack says "Hey, lets get a 5th generation VFR.  You've had a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th gen VFR in the past and you know how much you love them, they are cheap enough to pay cash for and they offer 80% of what you want/need in a bike"

Then the dumb-ass SailorJack says "F that mess!  The FJ-09 looks to be the near perfect bike for you!  Modern everything and since you put a bunch of miles on your bike every year you can justify a payment since you'll likey hang on to a new bike until the wheels fall off!"

My wife is no help,  she says "well, you really like the bike and we can afford the small payment so go ahead"

If I'm smart I'll save pennies for a year and settle for the 5th gen VFR while I raise enough for a new FJ-09 or a lightly used, well accessorized FJ-09 in a year or two.

I don't think I'm smart enough for that though. Talk me out of it!

I think the 5th Gen VFR is the best of the lot: sans VTEC, and has gear driven cams.

The V4 has character all over an I3 in my opinion.

And you already know that you like VFRs, so you'll certainly like another. Plus with all the money you'll save, treat yourself to several riding trips.

Now then, please link me to your next thread:

"Talk me IN to buying an FJ-09"

Hahahahah, thanks for talking sense to me.

There doesn't need to be a "Talk me IN to Buying an FJ-09" thread. I'm already there. Did you read the Motorcyclist review? Ari Henning was impressed. I think I am to.

Now back to VFR shopping. It'd be an easier decision if there was a decent red 5th gen VFR for sale locally but there isn't anything within 200 miles. Meanwhile, I can jump on a new FJ (when they arrive) for $8900 within 150 miles.

"The V4 has character all over an I3 in my opinion."

Have you ever ridden a modern in-line 3?  Depends on how you define character I guess, engine sound and exhaust notes for sure on a V4  but how many VFR's do you see pulling power wheelies out of a corner, to me that's character! Cheers ;)

Yes, I've ridden a variety of inline 3s, all Triumphs: Daytona 675, Speed Triple, Street Triple R, and a 1000cc sportbike from years ago, can't remmember the model. That was the basis for my statement. I like them for the combination of torquey pull and high-rpm wail. But they just didn't excite me from the sound/feel like other configurations. I do like I3s (for the moment) better than street singles, parallel twins, and inline 4s.

Have you ridden/heard V4, particularly with a quality aftermarket exhaust? Visceral, cool, exciting, different. Interesting both at high and low RPM.

Your main point is right on correct -- character is how you define it. I'm not slamming I3's. My sweetspots are 90 degree V-twins, and most most V4s.

Having said all that, I am somewhat considering getting a FJ-09 (I am here after all) because of it's extreme value, and the fact I like Yamaha.

But back to sailorjack34's decision. The $8,900 FJ price is a screaming deal. I say do it, you only have so many days on Earth....

,,,especially since you can't find a good VFR anyway.

No disrespect mcgmb, I have a V4 currently however a first gen Honda Sabre V65 that I'm considering putting some two bros exhaust on to bring out the beast; I've always lusted over a gear cam VFR but something has always got in the way it seems, someday for sure. The FZ 09 caught my attention however I'm getting older so ruled it out until...The FJ and that was it I'm sold, my Ducati is going (long story) for one I'm just waiting for one to arrive.
P.S. I really love the sound of the Triumph 3 cylinder and have always wanted to ride the Daytona!

Cheers,

Tom

I agree on both accounts. I've owned a Triumph Speed Triple. Awesome bike and just like what was said, the low down pull and the high end wail makes it a very liveable day to day engine that'll put a smile on your face. A Honda V4 sounds like magic though. How can a such a small engine sound so nasty? Both engines are incredible.

But like I said earlier, finding a good example of a 1st or 2nd gen Speed Triple or a clean 5th gen VFR is very hard. Patience is the key and plan to pay for it once it's found.

Which brings me back to the FJ-09. Yummy triple engine and all day comfy. Not...sure...I....can.....resist.......much...........longer....

Not sure I understand that one? Buying the bike on time = can't afford it? Affording and wanting to drop that amount of cash are two different things. I can afford it but do I want to right now?

It's more a questions of "should I spend my cash on a bathroom remodel and new deck this year or a new bike for me?"

Guest tripletrouble
He's saying, if you have to finance a "want", you cant afford it. Foreign concept for far too many. Finance a phone, finance a tv, etc. we live in a monthly payment world and that saddens me. people think they're more well off than they really are. 

Reminds me of the conversation with my dealer in price negotiations. 
Me: I'll give you $xx.xx cash, and I'll register and title it myself. 
Dealer sales manager: who's your bank, how will they get the title?
Me: why would my bank get the title? I'm paying outright. 
Dealer: [very confused look] we'll need a certified check then. 
Me: how about a personal check and you can get the bike ready while it clears. 
Dealer: uhhh. [really dumb look on his face] 
Me: think about it, I've got someone to meet for lunch. Call me when you're Ready. 

I got a call an hour later. Bike still isnt here but thinking a r1200gs will better fit my needs. :(

There are so many good reasons to finance things in general, and vehicles in particular, I'm surprised so many stick to the old saw "if you have to finance, you can't afford it..."

Putting aside for the moment that if it weren't possible to finance so many different things, the US economy would, quite frankly, implode, this particular buying decision comes down to finance rates and rate of return of alternative uses, among other things.

Many of the smartest (and wealthiest) people I know rarely, if ever, buy a vehicle outright.

I agree on both sides. This day and age credit is in some cases, more important than cash. Do you think our government has any cash? Nope. We are what we are because of what others owe us (credit) and what we owe others. Our financial worth as a nation is dependent on the debts owed by others.

Saying that, I would never finance the complete cost of a motorcycle or other large purchase. I also would never pay full cash for any large purchase (auto, new bike, house, remodeling, etc.). Depending on the cost of an item, I try to put between 20-80% down. I have only financed one of my previous 21 motorcycles I've owned and that bike was paid in full within 12 months.

Would I finance part of the FJ? If I buy it yes because I can see throwing down $10K. I also can't see financing $10K for 6 years when I put 10000 plus miles on a bike each year.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I get it now.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally disagree. If everyone waited until they could pay cash very few would have anything. Most of us would be riding bicycles or 50cc Honda's. We would all be renting instead of buying our own homes.  Of course that can be taken to the extreme and a person could max out their credit and end up in debt for the rest of their life and/or have to file bankruptcy. However if one uses their credit responsibly then they can have a new FJ-09 and finance it for 4 or 5 years. With the low rates available today - why not?

Archived