Lithium batteries, worth it?

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, jrubicon said:

anyone use any of those light weight batteries? recommended?

do u have to tender them?

My brother has one and swears by it.  You can use a tender with them, just make sure it is compatible with Lithium.

022-0199-DL-WH.BatteryTender.01.FrontVie

The Battery Tender® Junior 800 is much more than a trickle charger. It has...

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, GTO MIKE said:

I have read were they loose cranking power when cold.  I like the new Gel batteries myself . Like oil ,to each his own !

MIKE

Yeah, if they're good or not depends on where and when you ride.

I'd love one, but being a winter rider in Canada, it's just not in the cards for me.  My stock Yuasa SLA battery starts fine in -25c, but I'm pretty dubious about a lithium battery doing that.

• Thumbsup 1

A 10Ah, 360 cranking amp lithium battery weighs a touch over 1Kg (about 2.3lbs). Compare that to a traditional SLA which is almost 3Kg (roughly 6 lbs). So the weight saving is not insignificant, and as other have touched on, if your climate allows for it, it can be a nice alternative. But would I be willing to drop THAT kind of coin to save 4 lbs? Not likely. Fortnine did an excellent comparison of SLA, GEL and Lithium. You owe it to yourself to check that video out.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1

I thought about it once...but no longer.  Those that are looking for excuses to buy a lithium battery will make a big deal out of the 4 lbs of weight savings.  But really, I'd be a lot healthier if I lost 4 lbs.  :D

I bought a replacement battery for my bike.  It is the gel type battery.  Cost?  About $50.  Battery technology is not "rocket science", and you can pick up a good non-name brand battery for little cost.  As they say in economics, batteries are a "commodity" item.  In other words, there isn't much difference from one to the other.

So I'd stick with what Yamaha designed the bike to use.

Chris

• Thumbsup 6
  • Haha 2

• Supporting Member

Generally speaking, losing a bit of weight from the machine is just as good, if not better, as adding power.

However, for batteries - I agree - commodity item.

I can think of some scenarios where it might make sense.  Warm climate and $ is no object.  Or maybe a small dual sport or dirt bike where you're pulling lots of stunts or otherwise need a light bike.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

In cold weather turning on the ignition and the headlight will actually help warm a lithium battery to the point it will start better.  So unless you put in a bypass power supply to the headlight which being led doesn't draw a heck of a lot compared to an incandescent warming up the battery on an FJ / tracer is not an option. I disagree that all batteries whether they be of one of the three types are created equal as a commodity item.  Dollars per pound has become a buzzword since the early 70s. Is it better to buy a better quality, IMO US made battery and have it last five to six years or more if taken care of properly vs a $50 battery that you replace every 3 years.

For me the path is lit clearly to that which also brings peace of mind on the road, which for aircraft and motorcycles is highest on my priorities list.

The finest USA made Chargers, Batteries, and Battery Products.

An old-fashioned GRT Yuasa OEM spec battery is my choice.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I replaced my factory battery with a lithium battery 2 years ago. I ride At least 20k miles a year in any weather  from 10F on up. I run a gps, heated gear, and phone charger. I’ve never haD a problem with the Lithium battery. As a bonus I swear the thing is about as heavy as a baseball.
Now that I’ve posted this glowing review I fully expect it to crap out on me next week. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, micah2074 said:

Now that I’ve posted this glowing review I fully expect it to crap out on me next week. 

It's inevitable now...    I foolishly commented (on this forum, in fact) that my Dodge Ram had been completely trouble free and never left me stranded.   The next morning an idler pulley self-destructed with no warning, just far enough from home that I couldn't drive it back.  Internet karma is a real thing...   

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

So, I damaged my new OEM battery (Dropped the phucking bike on it when trying to shake a screw loose that went under the ABS system on my GT...  the motor mount landed on the case and put a big dent in it...  (saved any damage on the bike!!)   Because I didn't want to risk putting in a cracked case (which in the end I think was a dead air gap near the charging post) so I went shopping for a new battery.

The OEM Battery is CRAZY expensive close to $200.  I picked up an AntiGravity Lithium battery for $160 or so.   I've used Lithium in the past and had some bad experiences with some brands (Ballistic cells...  with cells going bad in the pack in short order... that was 8 years ago though).  The AntiGravity batteries have a built in battery management/balancing system which keeps them much happier.  I also have a  battery tender made for LiFEPO4 cells.  

Weight is lighter, and cranking amps seem higher.   The only real downside with lithium is very cold weather... they really need to be warmed up before they work to their full potential... to do that you hit the starter a few times in sub freezing weather to heat up the internals of the battery (or turn on accessories/heated grips/gear). 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

On 7/19/2020 at 8:22 PM, betoney said:

My brother has one and swears by it.  You can use a tender with them, just make sure it is compatible with Lithium.

022-0199-DL-WH.BatteryTender.01.FrontVie

The Battery Tender® Junior 800 is much more than a trickle charger. It has...

This is the tender I use, I love it.  SUCH an improvement over the old tenders that were super heavy and hot running. 

• Thumbsup 1