Burping Cooling System

nhchris

Anyone have wisdom on how to best burp cooling system after a coolant change?

I drained 2L out,  but could add only 1.7L.  Now bike seems to be running slightly hotter than usual.

I think my FJ needs to burp!!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

I'm about to replace the left engine cover this weekend, which means removing the water pump, so I'll be facing the same question too...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I've always just stated with a cold bike, opened the radiator cap and filled as needed after starting.

Is there a different way?

Edited by kilo3

With bike on center stand and engine cold, remove radiator cap. Start bike and run - bubbles should rise to open radiator cap as it runs. You can also squeeze the coolant hoses at different places to assist while running. Varying the throttle (and water pump speed) occasionally will help to. 

As the coolant temp rises, so too will the coolant level in the radiator. Revving it too much will spill hot coolant all over, as will squeezing hoses if the coolant level is high. When it stops bubbling, you should be good. As it bubbles, coolant level will go down slightly, too.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have always ran it on the side stand, since the filler neck is now the highest point in the system, any air bubbles should rise to the top.

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks guys.

She's all burped and ready for a play date with her R1200 RT friend.

• Thumbsup 4
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

Pick her up and hold her with the front wheel resting over your shoulder. Gently pat the seat with your hand. Be sure to have a shop towel on your shoulder to catch any liquids that she might spit up.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Let’s go Brandon