Tracer 900 for long rides

Seric

• Premium Member

Hey @Seric

I got 2019 GT model and so far did 25000 KM. My longest single trip was 8500KM. Based on touring experience few things I found that needs immediately attention before I took her on long trips. Here are the modes I did that works for me.

• MRA Touring Windscreen + Wind deflector
  • FJR foot pegs
  • Yamaha comfort seat
  • Spring change (front & rear)
  • R&G front fender extender (optional)
  • RAM Mounts (optional)

Hope that helps!

5C010D4B-1C7E-4CF0-88C7-421A1A705BC8.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

On 7/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, keithu said:

Look at it this way: The Tracer has about the same riding position as a BMW R1250RT, and it's actually slightly more open and upright than a FJR1300. The riding position on any bike is usually expensive and difficult to modify, so that makes the Tracer an excellent starting point. All it really needs is a better windscreen and seat, and those are readily available. 

As you can see I've gone off the deep end with modifications for long distance riding. I have a custom seat, Madstad's largest windshield, 40L saddlebags, auxiliary lights, auxiliary fuel, and various other mods. I've done 1000+ mile days in comfort. And even with all my insane mods and a full load of 30L of fuel it still weighs less than 550lbs (250kg). 

2020_0703_08180700.jpg

Not a huge long distance touring guy, but put 40k miles on two FJRs in the last 6 extended NW Ohio seasons. That’s with a season and some change off for health issues. 

Have arthritis in my neck and degenerative damage in both shoulders (life-long aircraft mechanic),

Loved. The. FJR. Unfortunately determined seating position was aggravating neck pain/causing neuropathy in already not-great right shoulder/arm/wrist. High center-of-gravity 650ish lbs had become just too much.

Put 2k on my ‘20 Tracer GT since I got it about 6 weeks ago. Am 6’ 2” 33” inseam 195 lbs geared up.

With the seat in the high position and the bar risers in the close position pretty much achieved my desired chin down/totally upright position. Size 10 boots/bumps on the ends of the pegs in the center of the balls of my feet/fit perfectly-pillion peg brackets are “right there” but no interference. 

Madstad 24” windscreen went on immediately, have about 75-80% of the forward protection of the FJR with a large touring screen (VStream). Handguards are off for the summer/think will be perfect for extended season (thumbs got cold on the FJR/no handguards). Will have to wait until fall to get a feel for foot protection.

Get pushed around a little more by tractor-trailers on divided highways, is a little buzzier in the bars/can’t get as clear a view in the rear views/def more vibes in the pegs-could see where FJR pegs would make a big difference but at this point not feeling I “need” them. Handling-wise front is much lighter/turn-in effortless compared to the Feej. Grips aren’t the greatest, but fit my hand/are pretty much identical to the OEM heated FJR grips.

It is a lot taller to throw a leg over than what I expected. In the saddle (again in the high position) is about perfect for me.

Lighter weight/taller & what feels like wider bars has raised my shoving it around the garage confidence significantly.

Only issue I’ve noted is still reaching a little too much forward/down for the bars/had to have them rotated back a little much for my taste to shorten “reach”. Just fitted a set of Motopump risers today, along with adjustable levers (Gilles Tooling) to get the clutch engagement where I wanted it (much closer to the grip).

Lost the extended lid volume of the FJR, but bags/attachment identical/knew pretty much exactly what would fit in the bags. They are a little “sloppier” on the hooks.

Have very high hopes and have had a fairly high standard for my GT set by my previous experience. Literally saw nothing else on the market for similar $$ that I thought would work as well.

Been 30 years since I’ve had to deal with a chain/was actually looking forward to it a little. I ride aggressively, set the chain to min slack at 1k, checked it last night at 2k, still at min, no tight or loose spots, gets wiped down with mineral spirits on a rag & chain wax every 500 miles.

Rear axle block has already started to be distorted by the axle “head”, have a set of the EBay FJ blocks coming from the guy in the UK (found in this forum).

Only other thought is I have to really really climb on the tank to stop the front end from weaving when substantially over a ton-up (US ver is e-limited to 132 indicated FYI). Have established there are no mechanical issues, have raised the fork tubes 10mm in the clamps. With me on it, is just not loaded up enough up front, OEM windscreen reduces tendency slightly, as did removing the handguards for the summer.

As others have mentioned in this forum, is undersprung if you are a big guy (using the handling gurus suspension settings aside from front end drop-so far tires look like compression/rebound are pretty close) and forks in stock trim are a little harsh/def not “plush”.

If you need it to ride like a Wing you will be very disappointed. If you are willing to give up more of the touring for as others have said for more of the sport...well it just might be perfect.

Sorry for the length- hope this helps.

Regards;

Mark

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Count me among those who would not recommend this bike for long distance two up riding. I sold my Super Tenere and bought the Tracer because even tho the ST was more than capable of loading up a passenger, I never do two up riding, and most of my riding is in the mountains. The ST was comfortable, but not as much fun to ride on mountain roads. I take two or three trips a year, but I never get on interstates. For me the tracer is a better fit for the riding I actually do. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The balance between two bikes - the one I want to ride TO the mountains and the one I want to ride IN the mountains - has always been the object of my search.  Nothing is perfect, but this bike does pretty well at both.  In the off season I'll address seat and bars to improve comfort. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

I just did a 700 mile trip after changing to a 17 tooth front sprocket.  I really enjoyed the lower revs on the highway portions of the ride.

Cruising at 70 mph while turning only 4,500 rpm was a nice change from stock and calming to the jittery nature of my FJ.

• Thumbsup 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Well, not at all really.

Of course 1st feels a bit taller on take off but I am not doing hole shots so that isn't really an issue for me.

And once you are in the torque zone above 3500 rpm, she pulls just as hard as always to red line.

Shifting is the same but I am usually down 1 gear lower for a given speed.  For example 3rd instead of 4th at 45 mph.

It's an easy swap to change front sprockets and experiment.  Good news is 17 runs with standard 110-link chain.

If you spend a lot of time commuting on an interstate, might make sense to try.

My gas mileage also improved. Cruising at 68-70 I got 55 mpg calculated (not indicated) over hilly Vermont I -89.

Only downside is 17 tooth is undamped and that means more drivetrain noise.  But as someone here said, best FJ accessory is good ear plugs!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I used both Honda ST1100s and Yamaha FJR1300s before acquiring my FJ-09 in '15. I loved those previous bikes, particularly the FJRs, which consider the most sorted out and, for my purposes, the best ever. However, as I age ungraciously, I want and need a lighter bike. I freely admit the FJ (MT, Tracer) is not in the same class of power, fit and finish, or ease of use (Shafty). But, I have used this one for over 50K as both a daily rider and my LD bike. Indeed, I did the usual replacements of suspension, seat, windshield and a bunch of other personal things, that I have always done even on the FJRs, as sorted out as they are, because we mostly all like to personalize or "Improve" our bikes. and indeed, it is not in the bigger bike, 2-up comfort category for many.

But, the light weight weight, agility, extremely spirited engine, makes this just right for me for both daily riding and long distance riding. It was indeed done with a bargain price in mind, so it is not a hardship to modify it to one's own requirements. For instance, because I like to keep the weight down I use soft Panniers, but a lockable top box so as to have at least one place to lock things in. I like the Madstad windshield, and the KTM hand guards, but there are many other choices. I like the Dunlop Roadsmart tire range, but the choices are dizzying. All in all this is a bike that can easily be modified to fit one's personal wants and needs, and still be reasonably inexpensive. 

the short answer to your question though is at least for me, this is a good LD mount.IMG_0682.thumb.jpeg.793d5e0797e26ded86f02d294721342f.jpegIMG_0621.thumb.jpeg.bc9d545722d4823ea71a91f05bddc4e9.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/31/2020 at 9:11 PM, thewrenchbender said:

Not a huge long distance touring guy, but put 40k miles on two FJRs in the last 6 extended NW Ohio seasons. That’s with a season and some change off for health issues. 

Have arthritis in my neck and degenerative damage in both shoulders (life-long aircraft mechanic),

Loved. The. FJR. Unfortunately determined seating position was aggravating neck pain/causing neuropathy in already not-great right shoulder/arm/wrist. High center-of-gravity 650ish lbs had become just too much.

Put 2k on my ‘20 Tracer GT since I got it about 6 weeks ago. Am 6’ 2” 33” inseam 195 lbs geared up.

With the seat in the high position and the bar risers in the close position pretty much achieved my desired chin down/totally upright position. Size 10 boots/bumps on the ends of the pegs in the center of the balls of my feet/fit perfectly-pillion peg brackets are “right there” but no interference. 

Madstad 24” windscreen went on immediately, have about 75-80% of the forward protection of the FJR with a large touring screen (VStream). Handguards are off for the summer/think will be perfect for extended season (thumbs got cold on the FJR/no handguards). Will have to wait until fall to get a feel for foot protection.

Get pushed around a little more by tractor-trailers on divided highways, is a little buzzier in the bars/can’t get as clear a view in the rear views/def more vibes in the pegs-could see where FJR pegs would make a big difference but at this point not feeling I “need” them. Handling-wise front is much lighter/turn-in effortless compared to the Feej. Grips aren’t the greatest, but fit my hand/are pretty much identical to the OEM heated FJR grips.

It is a lot taller to throw a leg over than what I expected. In the saddle (again in the high position) is about perfect for me.

Lighter weight/taller & what feels like wider bars has raised my shoving it around the garage confidence significantly.

Only issue I’ve noted is still reaching a little too much forward/down for the bars/had to have them rotated back a little much for my taste to shorten “reach”. Just fitted a set of Motopump risers today, along with adjustable levers (Gilles Tooling) to get the clutch engagement where I wanted it (much closer to the grip).

Lost the extended lid volume of the FJR, but bags/attachment identical/knew pretty much exactly what would fit in the bags. They are a little “sloppier” on the hooks.

Have very high hopes and have had a fairly high standard for my GT set by my previous experience. Literally saw nothing else on the market for similar $$ that I thought would work as well.

Been 30 years since I’ve had to deal with a chain/was actually looking forward to it a little. I ride aggressively, set the chain to min slack at 1k, checked it last night at 2k, still at min, no tight or loose spots, gets wiped down with mineral spirits on a rag & chain wax every 500 miles.

Rear axle block has already started to be distorted by the axle “head”, have a set of the EBay FJ blocks coming from the guy in the UK (found in this forum).

Only other thought is I have to really really climb on the tank to stop the front end from weaving when substantially over a ton-up (US ver is e-limited to 132 indicated FYI). Have established there are no mechanical issues, have raised the fork tubes 10mm in the clamps. With me on it, is just not loaded up enough up front, OEM windscreen reduces tendency slightly, as did removing the handguards for the summer.

As others have mentioned in this forum, is undersprung if you are a big guy (using the handling gurus suspension settings aside from front end drop-so far tires look like compression/rebound are pretty close) and forks in stock trim are a little harsh/def not “plush”.

If you need it to ride like a Wing you will be very disappointed. If you are willing to give up more of the touring for as others have said for more of the sport...well it just might be perfect.

Sorry for the length- hope this helps.

Regards;

Mark

Mark, 

Are you saying that those side cases you have fit directly into the OEM mounts?  If so, what brand are they?  Do you recommend anything else?  The Shad cases look great and the mounting is nice and clean, but if I go with those, that means the original Yamaha ones I have will not get used at all, and I want to keep them on for shorter trips.  

21 minutes ago, Jayzonk said:

Mark, 

Are you saying that those side cases you have fit directly into the OEM mounts?  If so, what brand are they?  Do you recommend anything else?  The Shad cases look great and the mounting is nice and clean, but if I go with those, that means the original Yamaha ones I have will not get used at all, and I want to keep them on for shorter trips.  

The “back half” of the OEM FJR bags and the OEM Tracer GT bags are identical, the “lid half” is deeper on the FJR bags. If I’m not mistaken, the Tracer GT bags were sold years ago as “commuter bags” for the FJR.

They have their pluses and minuses, but as I mentioned, had gotten used to the “deeper” ones on the FJR.

They are totally interchangeable between the two bikes...

• Thumbsup 1