Wind deflector position

I am awaiting delivery of a wind deflector, similar to the Puig item, ordered from Ebay.  I realise this varies depending on the individual, but what position works well for reducing turbulence at speed?  I'm just looking for some pointers for initial position that I might try.

CS

• Supporting Member

@captainscarlet - I use one of the Ebay deflectors during winter months and started with the arms collapsed down and the deflector pointed upward, perpendicular to the ground.  I then tried a few different positions, raising the arms until they were parallel to the ground, still keeping the deflector pointing upright.  I haven't tried raising the arms any higher though I think if I was caught in a torrential rain storm I would just raise it 100% and not worry about the angle. 

These take A LOT of fiddling and experimenting to be effective, every time you make an adjustment you have to pull off the highway, loosen 4 locks, make the adjustment, reset the 4 locks and then get back on the highway and hope the direction you adjusted is an improvement.  In addition to the deflector, you also have the screen height that can be experimented with as well, giving you almost too many variables to manipulate.  They ARE effective but plan on dedicating some time just riding back and forth on the highway, over and over changing positions.  You might be lucky and get it 'close enough' on the first few tries.

FWIW, I also have an MRA deflector, when I saw the Ebay deflector for about $25 I decided to give it a try just out of curiosity.  I find it has a larger surface area and more robust construction then the MRA version which costs 5x more.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, captainscarlet said:

I am awaiting delivery of a wind deflector, similar to the Puig item, ordered from Ebay.  I realise this varies depending on the individual, but what position works well for reducing turbulence at speed?  I'm just looking for some pointers for initial position that I might try.

CS

I have my Puig clip on deflector in the highest and closest position in relation to the windscreen.  This put the bottom of the deflector almost in line with the top of the windscreen.  I noticed more of a difference when adjusting the height as opposed to adjusting how far in front of the screen the deflector was and the angle of the deflector (as you can see mine is set parallel to the windscreen). For reference I am just under 6ft with a 32in inseam.

SmartSelect_20200731-181722_Imgur.jpg

SmartSelect_20200731-181600_Imgur.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member

Here's my X-Creen Tour on a Madstad. Much will depend on the main screen angle and design. I generally keep it like this, or one step lower... but still parallel with main screen.

20200731_181433.thumb.jpg.0b99e7693d5399c24c5d0d7c52a71ccd.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, betoney said:

@captainscarlet - I use one of the Ebay deflectors during winter months and started with the arms collapsed down and the deflector pointed upward, perpendicular to the ground.  I then tried a few different positions, raising the arms until they were parallel to the ground, still keeping the deflector pointing upright.  I haven't tried raising the arms any higher though I think if I was caught in a torrential rain storm I would just raise it 100% and not worry about the angle. 

These take A LOT of fiddling and experimenting to be effective, every time you make an adjustment you have to pull off the highway, loosen 4 locks, make the adjustment, reset the 4 locks and then get back on the highway and hope the direction you adjusted is an improvement.  In addition to the deflector, you also have the screen height that can be experimented with as well, giving you almost too many variables to manipulate.  They ARE effective but plan on dedicating some time just riding back and forth on the highway, over and over changing positions.  You might be lucky and get it 'close enough' on the first few tries.

FWIW, I also have an MRA deflector, when I saw the Ebay deflector for about $25 I decided to give it a try just out of curiosity.  I find it has a larger surface area and more robust construction then the MRA version which costs 5x more.

Bring

You have a link for your eBay spoiler?

Thx

I have the two mount version and it works extremely well on a larger screen. FYI, if you get one of these, you have to glue the adjusters after finding the right angle.

5VjqnBM.jpg

Edited by jdavis

4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Bring

Thx

I got mine from here:

s-l400.jpg

Small motorcycle windshields, motorcycles stuck in the windshield...

But there are a raft of them on Ebay and I suspect they are all pretty much the same product.

CS

4 minutes ago, captainscarlet said:

I got mine from here:

s-l400.jpg

Small motorcycle windshields, motorcycles stuck in the windshield...

But there are a raft of them on Ebay and I suspect they are all pretty much the same product.

CS

I ordered the smoke one and got a clear one, complained, got it for free as the supplier couldn't guarantee that I could get a smoke one .

• Like 1

I don't have one on my FJ, but I've used them on other bikes. The position that works best with me is to have the top even with the windscreen, at the angle parallel to the windscreen. This creates a silky-smooth windflow, which I like.

• Thanks 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Bring

Thx

This is the one that I used, it is the width that fits my screen.  There is a wider one for larger screens but you have to be careful and read the product description to make sure.  Like @jdavis and @captainscarlet mentioned, most of these listed are the same, send the seller a message first to ask about size or color before buying.

s-l400.jpg

Universal Adjustable Screen Windscreen Windshield Spoiler Air Deflector...

• Premium Member

Thanks, looks just like my MRW tour I have on my Givi barn door but clamp-on.  I have a mono-clamp-on ebay unit but want to try something wider or maybe shorter in height and wider but either way that adjusts lower.

I also have a bikini screen for super hot weather.

20200517_170516.jpg

20200428_164226.jpg

20200501_203756.jpg

20200517_170527.jpg

20170512_175929.jpg

20170512_180034.jpg

20200323_172816.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just installed a $40CDN mono clamp deflector off Amazon. I am 6’4” and have the Givi 2122DT windshield. Even with the windshield in the highest position I was getting minor buffeting on top of helmet above 65-70mph. This $40 clip on works great. Not only is buffeting gone (had it up to 100mph), but wind noise has been reduced 75-80%, easily. I was concerned the clamp would be an annoying distraction, but with the deflector adjusted so I am seeing over it,  it did not take long to get used to. 

The mounting mechanism is sturdy, and with right amount of tightening you can adjust and play with angle while riding. As others have mentioned already I found having deflector more or less flush with windshield works best. That said you could angle with airflow on a hot day or remove the spoiler itself in mere seconds.

My only two complaints are that there is nothing between metal mounting brackets on front or back of plexiglass the way it is delivered. I questioned this when assembling it, but did not see any complaints or cautions amongst the reviews I read. The 2nd is that the plexiglass is simply cut (cleanly cut mind you) and not sanded or polished on the edges. This caused reflection of light and glare so I removed plexiglass and sanded edges with 320 grit followed by 1200 grit, and that problem is solved. However, when I removed the plexiglas I noticed spiderweb cracking in multiple directions around screw holes extending 1/8-1/4”. This after about 8-10 hours of riding since install. Not overly surprised as there is no rubber in between metal mounts and plexiglass as mentioned, although I used blue locktite and was careful not to over tighten screws (enough to avoid it moving in mount of course). I happen to have some clear Teflon tape and have that cut to fit metal brackets/mounts, so will see if it too late or not to stop cracks from spreading (I suspect that is the case). In hindsight I should have added Teflon tape when assembling the deflector. Cracks are not visible, but if they keep spreading I will probably buy another one and use Teflon tape from the get go.

C0D2C23D-DDA9-47E2-8589-65D2A3B737FA.jpeg

3B6B98FD-7B0D-4E88-A534-D67080E9C165.jpeg

52923ABC-0628-40E7-AEAD-DAD7FA5EEE22.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 6:06 AM, betoney said:

Betoney or anyone out there using stock screen with these dual clip on, will it help reduce or eliminate wind buffeting to the helmet. rode on rain, night and its so tiring with the wind hitting my helmet on stock screen. sold my puig touring as it does not eliminate but help to reduce and dont want to spent on Givi. would maybe get a sport screen if these dual clip on is not working. 

plenty sold here on local platform (ebay your side), looks like they are all the same and from my researched, there are 3 sizes available (largest found was total length/width 37cm. ) checking with them now the clip on in-between distant as our stock screen is not that wide.

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, WKE002 said:

Betoney or anyone out there using stock screen with these dual clip on, will it help reduce or eliminate wind buffeting to the helmet. rode on rain, night and its so tiring with the wind hitting my helmet on stock screen. sold my puig touring as it does not eliminate but help to reduce and dont want to spent on Givi. would maybe get a sport screen if these dual clip on is not working. 

plenty sold here on local platform (ebay your side), looks like they are all the same and from my researched, there are 3 sizes available (largest found was total length/width 37cm. ) checking with them now the clip on in-between distant as our stock screen is not that wide.

I don't have the stock screen but I do have a wind deflector on my winter screen - (Modified Puig touring screen for a Gen II FZ1)

The wind deflector is almost infinitely adjustable as it can be set for pitch, forward or back and height, up or down.  Yes it helps with wind buffeting/oscillation, it doesn't eliminate turbulence, like from large trucks on the highway, nor does it eliminate wind noise.

I have this deflector and it is very good quality and quite sturdy.

s-l400.jpg

Universal Adjustable Screen Windscreen Windshield Spoiler Air Deflector...

image.thumb.png.b4a51a098f7e67b7ee398cb8faa3975a.png

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Resurrecting this thread as it's getting cooler here in the Southern Hemisphere and I've had cause to dig out my "Winter" screen and deflector only to find that I've managed to lose one of the two locking plastic bits on an arm of the deflector. 🙄

An annoyance but no real problem as I've dusted off the 3D printer and copied the remaining one to get back to square one.  And now I can lose as many as I like!

20210422_173901.thumb.jpg.fb49b7938aa7997458f868a7c130538e.jpg

Got me wondering again though about the correct setup of these things (i.e. the deflector).  There seems to be plenty of ways that people use them to get a result but is there a proper/correct way to set them up with regard to the technical aspects of laminar flow and all that other techo related wind tunnel stuff?

The closest 'answer' that I gather is that the deflector should be parallel and close to the main screen to provide a disruption of the airflow from over the top of the main screen and thus push the turbulence higher??

Does this sound about right to the more educated in these matters out there and/or is there more to this dark art wizardry?

Or.... should I stop overthinking it and just experiment until it suits 'me'. 😏