In retrospect, the music did warn me...

• Supporting Member
45 minutes ago, Stew said:

Do you have average speed cameras there? Or Camera vans, (looking very inconspicuous) that park at the side of the road, filming all the speeders?

When I ride in town or around other drivers, I usually play by the rules and obey the speed limits but when I am out on a secluded rural farm road or up in the mountains, then all bets are off.   As soon as I get back within city limits or around other vehicles than I tone it down.

• Like 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

When I ride in town or around other drivers, I usually play by the rules and obey the speed limits but when I am out on a secluded rural farm road or up in the mountains, then all bets are off.   As soon as I get back within city limits or around other vehicles than I tone it down.

Same, 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, 50-60 in a 50 , but when the speed limit is 60 or 70, game on.

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, texscottyd said:

”I Fought the Law” - The Clash

Probably wise you didn't break into song as the cop approached...

"I miss my baby and the times we had.

I know my race is run.

I fought the law and the law won. I  fought the law and the law won."

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

11 hours ago, kmev said:

In an era where everyone argues with the cops because that seems to be "in",  being friendly will get you farther than anything else. Also, the drunks and fighters never want to remove their helmet, so having the helmet off before the cop gets to you sends a message. 

This has always been my approach.  I won't give them a specific number. If they ask, I say I wasn't looking which is easy because the dash is wholly outside of my field of view if I don't specifically look down. I do always know how fast I'm going, though. I always own that I was speeding though, and am humble and polite.  Usually something along the lines of "Sorry sir, such a beautiful day and I haven't had a chance to get out on the bike in a while, kinda let the zoomies go to my head."  Then, as I get haraunged, I listen, acknowledge and agree with everything they say.  Even if they're objectively wrong - you can always tell the cops who do ride from those who don't.  And try to say as little as possible otherwise, as the more I open my mouth, the more likely I am to piss them off and end up with a ticket.

I've got ~28 years of riding or so now, usually at absolutely absurd speeds, and haven't had a speeding ticket since I was about 19.  Been stopped quite a few times, but always let off with a warning - even this last time in April doing ~210 in an 80 zone.  

Helps, I think, that when they ask I've been riding for decades (and clearly solely riding, as I don't have a car license) and have a clean drivers record.  Ironically it's only clean because they elect to give me a warning rather than change that.

2 hours ago, Stew said:

Do you have average speed cameras there? Or Camera vans, (looking very inconspicuous) that park at the side of the road, filming all the speeders?

We have photo radar setups ("Average speed cameras"?  Are these different from normal photo radar setups?  What's the "average" part of that?) - sometimes vans, sometimes SUV's, or even occasionally pickups.  But the upside is: They're required by law now to have their hazard lights on, which makes them much more visible parked on the side of the road.  It means they catch fewer people, but it does result in people slowing down, which is the ultimate goal anyways.

Also, Maps shows their locations.  Really handy app to have running while speeding about :)

1 hour ago, betoney said:

TBH, I never do the speed limit except in school/playground zones.  Always (in KPH mind) 10-20 over.  I mean, 50kph is slooooooow.  I almost never ride downtown, though - I try to *never* go downtown in any city, really, as it's just terrible to drive or ride in packed downtown situations.  How fast I actually ride depends heavily on the traffic as I won't go screaming through traffic splitting lanes and weaving between cars.  I'll typically just ride at the speed of traffic if there's not easy room to move through it, and just slightly higher if there is.  

However, if there's few cars, then... yeah.  Zoom zoom time.  

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Mine mostly turned loose before it turned gray, but same net effect I suppose.   

285 miles today with no further law enforcement contact, so all is well.  

Well instead saying a head full of gray hair I should have said gray hair. I had a double whammy around 20 years ago. It turned gray and a lot of it turned loose all at the same time.😥

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

...have a clean drivers record.  Ironically it's only clean because they elect to give me a warning rather than change that. 

I‘ve had that same revelation...  The officer yesterday definitely checked, and with not so much as a parking ticket, decided I must not be a frequent offender.   

Another subtle thing I’ve done since I was 15:  I wear a suit & tie in my drivers license photo, along with a fresh haircut & shave.  Maybe it doesn’t make any difference, but somehow I feel like it subliminally does... 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I‘ve had that same revelation...  The officer yesterday definitely checked, and with not so much as a parking ticket, decided I must not be a frequent offender.   

Another subtle thing I’ve done since I was 15:  I wear a suit & tie in my drivers license photo, along with a fresh haircut & shave.  Maybe it doesn’t make any difference, but somehow I feel like it subliminally does... 

ooh, good idea but I dont know when I last wore a tie? Ive had a beard since 1970, though I keep it trimmed and shave my upper cheeks and neck these days just to not fall into the who gives a shit no one sees me anyway during this house arrest pandemic crap.  I have to reup this year but for the new you can fly with it DL / ID so maybe I'll find a tie!

2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

We have photo radar setups ("Average speed cameras"?  Are these different from normal photo radar setups?  What's the "average" part of that?)

"Average speed cameras work by recording your speed at two different points. They don't capture your speed in a single flash. Instead, they'll monitor your speed over a length of road.

This is so people don't slow down just before they see a camera and then speed up again afterwards. They help to keep the traffic flowing steadily instead of stopping and starting.

SPECS were the first cameras to enforce an average speed restriction on British roads back in 1999.

They use video and Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) to record drivers between a set of cameras on motorways and dual carriageways. Infra-red photography lets them work day and night to catch speeders.

They're fixed on roads in a sequence at least 200m apart. This then calculates a driver’s average speed over a set distance, and will detect any speeding offences.

The ANPR technology then allows the system to record the vehicle and send a fine to the registered address."

(taken from a motoring website)

There are several really good speed detection systems in some of the villages near where I live that detect your speed as you approach traffic lights, and if you are speeding, they turn the lights red. It's so annoying, and once people realise, they never speed there again. A clever idea, no fine, no police, nothing. Just the frustration of sitting at a red light, held up, because you went a bit over the limit where you really shouldn't have.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, Stew said:

There are several really good speed detection systems in some of the villages near where I live that detect your speed as you approach traffic lights, and if you are speeding, they turn the lights red. It's so annoying, and once people realise, they never speed there again. A clever idea, no fine, no police, nothing. Just the frustration of sitting at a red light, held up, because you went a bit over the limit where you really shouldn't have.

Thanks for the explanation! 

This, though, this is something I feel really strongly about.  Measures taken to actually reduce speed, where reducing speed is the goal (not revenue generation) - that's what really should be focused on.  We've got a lot of intersection cameras here.  They aren't average speed, they're just instantaneous checks when your car is in the intersection, and there are clear signs saying they're present. 

These are awesome.  These slow traffic down through high risk areas, and because they're well identified, people aren't slamming on their brakes - they just drive slower through those areas.  

I'm 100% for that.  I ride through two on my commute every day, and I have no problem slowing down for them - though I tend to go through most intersections at or near the speed limit anyways, because people run red lights and I've personally witnessed more than a couple bikes t-bone cars in intersections when the bike had the right of way.  

That's much more effective at getting me to slow down in an area that they've identified as high risk than the potential that a cop *may* be nearby and *may* notice me.  Admittedly, this is still a ticket thing, but instead of being created as a revenue generator, it's created as a serious means to get people to slow down.  And it works.

• Like 1

I agree @Wintersdark, speed regulation has to be safety based, not cash generation. UK speed measuring systems are meant to be only installed where there is a history of accidents. But, the Welsh government has installed average speed cameras on a major road artery, to reduce CO2 emissions. That seems bogus to me as it seems to hold up traffic, which then sit there with idling engines.

• Like 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

This just yesterday while riding my other bike (Ninja 1000).  Posted it on another forum so I just did the copy and paste.  I was polite, respectful, and only spoke when spoken to.  When I needed to get into my tail bag to get my papers I first told him that I had no weapons before opening the bag.  He let me go with just a verbal request to slow down.

Riding with a friend yesterday when I notice the bike becoming harder to turn. My first thought was a tire going flat. Pulled over and found what appeared to be a very small animal bone stuck in the rear tire. It was about 20 millimeters long and hollow, like a small leg bone. Went right into the center of the rear tire and let the air out of the tire like a tiny straw, as if almost by design to cause me grief. I always carry a tire repair kit and a portable compressor, so I was able to get the show back on the road in about 20 minutes. Fortunately I have a new rear tire in the garage so I can get rid of the plugged tire.

Then, not 20 miles down the road I come up behind an SUV on what is my favorite section of twists and turns. Not wanting to miss out on any fun, I pick a spot to pass and what do you know, it's a plain clothes cop and he lights me up. Now I am thinking the world is tryin to tell me that I should have stayed home!! When the officer returned from his vehicle he handed me my license and said "slow down". Okay, feeling like my bad luck turned to good......sort of.

The officer pulls away and while I am putting my papers back in my tail bag a voice from about 50 feet away yells, "How do you like that s#*t boy?". I look up and see Root Hog Slim standing in the back of his ratted out pickup truck parked in the field on the other side of the fence. Was not aware of his presence and this must have been the most excitement he has had in a while. (Kentucky back roads go through some sketchy rural areas in some places) He laughs at me and waves his arms in the air in a strange manner. I laugh with him which makes his expression immediately change from elation to anger. I replied that the cop was very nice and did not give me a ticket. He rants, "How would you like it if I came to your house and was riding crazy up and down the road?". I told him that I would probably get my bike out of the garage and join him. This only appeared to make him frustrated as he seemed to want to take some sort of joy in what he perceived as my misfortune. He repeats the question as if my answer would change, and I gave him the same reply. He stares at me like his brain just switched off, mouth hanging open. Just before hitting the start butting I said to him, "I bet all the fat chicks back at the trailer park think you are the boss". His expression was one of disbelief. He screamed "F&%K YOU!", as I pulled away, laughing in my helmet. Somehow, my little exchange with Root Hog Slim made the flat tire and the encounter with the police a bit more palatable.

Just wanted to share. 😁😁😁

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, jdavis said:

I am going to get rid of the Tracer for that reason, when on it, I go from age 66 to 22 . Seriously looking at a Guzzi adventure sled.

My FJ is my slowest, most comfortable bike.  I bought it for comfort ad sport touring.  The upright ergos allow me to relax, slow down, and smell the flowers.  Opposite I guess of you...

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

My FJ is my slowest, most comfortable bike.  I bought it for comfort ad sport touring.  The upright ergos allow me to relax, slow down, and smell the flowers.  Opposite I guess of you...

I was going to post something along the lines of 'how do you ride slowly on a Tracer'. I used to love just taking my time around the back roads on my vstrom, but the Tracer engine doesn't seem to like it (I know, right wrist etc. ) , but I genuinely find it difficult to ride the bike slowly.  I don't know if it's the gearing or what, but for me the engine doesn't like sitting in a high gear at low revs, I mean, 3rd in a 30mph limit is almost lugging, 2nd wants to crack on. I'm struggling with this.
And I am deadly serious. If you , or anyone, has any sprocket mods that would help with this, I'm all ears.
Anyway, I'm away out to play on the bike for an hour or so, and I'll do my absolute best to chill out and ride slower. I'll report back later :)