Fork oil

quetech

Changed my fork oil out a few weeks ago during lockdown and was amazed at the state of it after 4500 miles.

Photo shows it after it had been sitting in the containers for a couple of weeks settling out.BB1191D1-CFE5-443B-9D0C-7D80FFE06DC4.thumb.jpeg.0a63925fc50ad1a7bb242012d99e76f0.jpeg

replaced with valvoline 10w in the rebound and 15w in the compression and the bike seems a lot more composed at the front end.

I can get the viscosity if anybody is interested 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 5:42 PM, quetech said:

Changed my fork oil out a few weeks ago during lockdown and was amazed at the state of it after 4500 miles.

Photo shows it after it had been sitting in the containers for a couple of weeks settling out.BB1191D1-CFE5-443B-9D0C-7D80FFE06DC4.thumb.jpeg.0a63925fc50ad1a7bb242012d99e76f0.jpeg

replaced with valvoline 10w in the rebound and 15w in the compression and the bike seems a lot more composed at the front end.

I can get the viscosity if anybody is interested 

Did air-over-oil struts on planes for years, have only had an opportunity to change bike fork oil a fraction as many times. 

Not sure what the dynamic is-but both tend to come out really nasty.

First MamaYama factory fork oil change shocked me also...

Edited by thewrenchbender
Spelling
  • Thumbsup 1

Standard road riding for 4500 miles is all I have done, not sure how many of you read Dave Moss articles but he had a similar oil condition on his GT. The oil was really gloopy  and a bit strange really.

I have found the front end a good bit firmer with a lot less diving when you hit the brakes, I was also able to wind the damping off quite a bit from what I had with the factory oil.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I dump my fork oil at the end of each season, and it looks just like that. Some photos for reference here. I fill the fork with cheaper oil first and work the damper to help purge chalky residue from the cartridge before filling with proper oil.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif