Looking into Tracer 900 GT as Sport Touring Bike

Hello Everyone

I'm looking into the sport touring world, and the Tracer 900 GT is in my top 3.

I've heard very good things about the CP3, torque always available and very reliable.

Currently owning a sport naked bike, which I'm willing to keep for short and fun rides.

I live in Nashville, TN

I'm 5'9" 160lbs

My main concerns are:

any vibrations on handlebar and/or foot pegs from the engine?

my naked bike is a 650 inline 4, sometimes my hands and feet go a little numb.

wind buffeting with stock wind screen? is it bad? do you suggest replacing it with a wider one?

How good is this bike in terms of comfort on long trips? (like 9 hours straight, with gas/food stops and legs stretch)

Do you recommend the comfort seat?

For my weight, do you think the stock springs would do just fine? (I'll be using the panniers and top case, so fully loaded)

There is a guy in my area that is selling a 2019 GT, ridden 4.300 miles, with givi ST605 5LTR tank bag and Yamaha 50l top case, puig racing windscreen for $11.500

It looks spot on, do you think it's a fair price?

Thanks in advance

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, MrFritz86 said:

Hello Everyone

Just curious, what are your other top 2 choices?  If you haven't ridden one, take the Versys 1000 for a test ride.

The Tracer GT is a great do-it-all type of bike and a great value for its price but depending on your needs, it might not do everything perfectly and require some modifications or aftermarket parts.  I use mine for weekend sporty riding in the mountains or twisty roads but also do several overnight trips and a few 7-10 day rides each year. -Not so much this year...☹️

I have the suspension upgraded and had a custom seat built but then I would have that done for any bike I own, your needs might be different.

I think the price might be just a little high, but it is local and available now.  Cycle trader has several 2019's with low mileage for $10,500-$11,000.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me

I'm considering the '18/19 Triumph Tiger 800 XC/XCA (triple engine this one as well) found a few in between $9.000 (XC, base model) and 11.500 (XCA, fully loaded and this one is a super deal), the 900 is out of my budget. This is probably the one that could eventually win against the Tracer.

Also considered either the Suzuki Vstrom and/or the Honda Africa Twin.

Obviously completely different bikes, more adventure oriented compared to the Tracer.

I also would rather stay in the 800/50cc range.

Suzuki offers either 650 (too small) or 1000/50, Honda only makes a 1000cc for the AT.

Considering the brands, Yamaha (also Honda and Suzuki) is much more common here in the US than Triumph, and for sure less expensive on labor costs and maintenance (even though I'm capable of pretty much anything on motorcycles), spare parts are easier to find, these factors could be a win for the Tracer.

Kawasaki is one of those brands that I do not like at all, the look does not fit my taste. I know it's reliable, but I would not like it. So I guess it also comes down to tastes.

And for the price, I thought the same, I'll wait and see if he drops it, and make him a offer.

What do you think about vibrations? any negative experience to share? or is it good?

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, MrFritz86 said:

What do you think about vibrations? any negative experience to share? or is it good?

Considering it is a triple engine there are 'some' vibrations but nothing I would call excessive, however, like most things with motorcycles, it is all HIGHLY subjective.  Some riders don't like the factory seat or windshield and others keep the stock items for the life of the bike.  A lot of riders use Grip Puppies to cushion their hands and rubber top foot pegs for their feet.

On any bike you choose, I HIGHLY recommend a thorough test ride, not just down the street and back.  There have been a few bikes that I thought were THE bike for me until I test rode them and was very disappointed.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Considering it is a triple engine there are 'some' vibrations but nothing I would call excessive, however, like most things with motorcycles, it is all HIGHLY subjective.  Some riders don't like the factory seat or windshield and others keep the stock items for the life of the bike.  A lot of riders use Grip Puppies to cushion their hands and rubber top foot pegs for their feet.

On any bike you choose, I HIGHLY recommend a thorough test ride, not just down the street and back.  There have been a few bikes that I thought were THE bike for me until I test rode them and was very disappointed.

Yes, every bikes is different for each one of us. I will test them before pulling the trigger, I might find my self going for the other 2 bikes 😅

Thank btw, I'll keep you guys posted.

• Like 1

No vibrations at all during cruising. At some higher rpm under acceleration you can fell some vibrations but not disturbing at all. 

Get the Yamaha touring screen.

You are not very heavy so no problem with the suspension. If you want to take a pilion and panniers+topbox....ya...it can be too much.

1 hour ago, TheBigG said:

No vibrations at all during cruising. At some higher rpm under acceleration you can fell some vibrations but not disturbing at all. 

Get the Yamaha touring screen.

You are not very heavy so no problem with the suspension. If you want to take a pilion and panniers+topbox....ya...it can be too much.

Thanks a lot for the info

If it is only under acceleration, that's pretty normal. My bike vibrates even when cruising.

Even better if the stock springs are fine for my weight, at the moment no pillion, but for sure panniers and/or top box.

1 hour ago, AG.BELL said:

In my opinion calling the tracer a touring bike is a stretch of the meaning.

it is in somewhat and somehow the touring version of the MT 09, maybe the stretch is in the longer swingarm 🤣

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

I have recently switched from a 650 vstrom, which I loved.
Until I rode the tracer.

The 650 vstrom is a very capable bike, and can sit at 80-100 all day long, and is pretty comfortable. It's low maintenance, and cheap.
But...
It is decent at everything, and good at nothing.

And I feel like a traitor to my vstrom for saying that.

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, Stew said:

I have recently switched from a 650 vstrom, which I loved.
Until I rode the tracer.

The 650 vstrom is a very capable bike, and can sit at 80-100 all day long, and is pretty comfortable. It's low maintenance, and cheap.
But...
It is decent at everything, and good at nothing.

Thanks for sharing your experience

I think the 650 is a bit too small, most likely the 1000/50 will perform better in so many ways. I can find many available, from 2014 to 2018 with low mileage, at a very good price, but it just does not convince myself like the Tracer or the Tiger do.

1 hour ago, Stew said:

And I feel like a traitor to my vstrom for saying that.

I guess we all change tastes and needs along the way.

Like I'm afraid it will let me go my naked bike in the near future, bc the Tracer it's a good all around bike.

• Thumbsup 1

4 hours ago, MrFritz86 said:

Hello Everyone

I've heard very good things about the CP3, torque always available and very reliable.

Currently owning a sport naked bike, which I'm willing to keep for short and fun rides.

I live in Nashville, TN

I'm 5'9" 160lbs

My main concerns are:

any vibrations on handlebar and/or foot pegs from the engine?

my naked bike is a 650 inline 4, sometimes my hands and feet go a little numb.

wind buffeting with stock wind screen? is it bad? do you suggest replacing it with a wider one?

How good is this bike in terms of comfort on long trips? (like 9 hours straight, with gas/food stops and legs stretch)

Do you recommend the comfort seat?

For my weight, do you think the stock springs would do just fine? (I'll be using the panniers and top case, so fully loaded)

There is a guy in my area that is selling a 2019 GT, ridden 4.300 miles, with givi ST605 5LTR tank bag and Yamaha 50l top case, puig racing windscreen for $11.500

It looks spot on, do you think it's a fair price?

Thanks in advance

Hello

I have a 2019 GT and it's my first triple after owning many i4 bikes - everything from a 1200 Bandit (ridiculously buzzy) to ZX-14s (super smooth). The CP3 engine only gets vibey if you want it to and push it - but honestly I've never felt it to be bad at all. Even with the stock footpegs (no rubber) I don't notice any annoying vibrations.

The stock seat isn't bad, to be honest. I've put my fair share of Corbin's and Sargent's over the years and I've done several 3-4 day trips on my stock seat and haven't felt the need to swap it out yet. If I keep it for a few more years I might swap it out. From what I've read on here and other forums, the comfort seat from Yamaha doesn't change things much.

I'm around the same size as you and the stock suspension is fine - although upgrading suspension is never a bad use of $.

As for the stock windshield - awful. I went with an MRA Sport screen (not the MRA Touring - they are different) and love the air flow I get. It's there, but it is clean air with no buffeting. I think the Puig Racing screen is similar to the MRA Sport.

I can't really comment on the price as I'm in Canada, but there is a 2019 GT with 9K miles on it at a local Yamaha dealer for just under $13K CAD, which is $9800 USD. Looks pretty stock.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the search!

Rob

PS. I think you'll find that the Tracer is fun for ripping around town too - drop the bags and the trunk.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I think it's an excellent solo tourer, I've done multiple 1000+ mile days on my '15 FJ-09. The Tracer has about the same riding position as a BMW R1250RT. The only thing the Tracer GT really needs to be a good touring bike is a better seat and windscreen. Both are easily remedied. 

Vibration: It's not obnoxious but you can tell there's an engine down there. It's not the smoothest bike I've ever owned, but it's far from the buzziest. Try to get a test ride. If the throttle bodies are out of sync that will cause it to buzz a bit, but in a good state of tune it runs smoothly. 

Regarding the Triumph 800s - I rented one a couple of years ago, and compared to my FJ-09 the engine was extremely disappointing. Dare I say boring? Yes, I dare it. I think if you're looking at a newer Tiger 900 vs the Tracer GT, that's a tough call. But Tracer GT vs Tiger 800XC? Not even close. 

In summary: If you get the Tracer all your wildest dreams will come true. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, rlambke19 said:

Hello

I have a 2019 GT and it's my first triple after owning many i4 bikes - everything from a 1200 Bandit (ridiculously buzzy) to ZX-14s (super smooth). The CP3 engine only gets vibey if you want it to and push it - but honestly I've never felt it to be bad at all. Even with the stock footpegs (no rubber) I don't notice any annoying vibrations.

The stock seat isn't bad, to be honest. I've put my fair share of Corbin's and Sargent's over the years and I've done several 3-4 day trips on my stock seat and haven't felt the need to swap it out yet. If I keep it for a few more years I might swap it out. From what I've read on here and other forums, the comfort seat from Yamaha doesn't change things much.

I'm around the same size as you and the stock suspension is fine - although upgrading suspension is never a bad use of $.

As for the stock windshield - awful. I went with an MRA Sport screen (not the MRA Touring - they are different) and love the air flow I get. It's there, but it is clean air with no buffeting. I think the Puig Racing screen is similar to the MRA Sport.

I can't really comment on the price as I'm in Canada, but there is a 2019 GT with 9K miles on it at a local Yamaha dealer for just under $13K CAD, which is $9800 USD. Looks pretty stock.

Hope this helps! Good luck with the search!

Rob

PS. I think you'll find that the Tracer is fun for ripping around town too - drop the bags and the trunk.

Dear Rob

Thanks for sharing your experience about the I4 compared to the CP3. Really useful. I've heard very good thing about Kawi engines being buttery smooth.

Going back to the Tracer, great to know that pretty much everything that is stock suits you well, windscreen different story. I think I can live with replacing it if I do not like it (either stock or Puig) since the bike comes with everything that I need.

For the price, he has a few listing (one at 11k and another 11.5k). If he is gonna let me test ride it (and I like it) and accept 10k (10.5k cap), I'm going for it. 

PS: that is what I thought, as mentioned before I'm afraid I will let go my CB650R.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, keithu said:

If you get the Tracer all your wildest dreams will come true. 

I just had to... 😄

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1