Looking into Tracer 900 GT as Sport Touring Bike

1 hour ago, keithu said:

I think it's an excellent solo tourer, I've done multiple 1000+ mile days on my '15 FJ-09. The Tracer has about the same riding position as a BMW R1250RT. The only thing the Tracer GT really needs to be a good touring bike is a better seat and windscreen. Both are easily remedied. 

Vibration: It's not obnoxious but you can tell there's an engine down there. It's not the smoothest bike I've ever owned, but it's far from the buzziest. Try to get a test ride. If the throttle bodies are out of sync that will cause it to buzz a bit, but in a good state of tune it runs smoothly. 

Regarding the Triumph 800s - I rented one a couple of years ago, and compared to my FJ-09 the engine was extremely disappointing. Dare I say boring? Yes, I dare it. I think if you're looking at a newer Tiger 900 vs the Tracer GT, that's a tough call. But Tracer GT vs Tiger 800XC? Not even close. 

In summary: If you get the Tracer all your wildest dreams will come true. 

Thanks a lot for the comparison (that I was really looking for) in between the 2.

I totally agree with you, specs wise already tell the differences, 93hp vs 115hp. It might not be that much, but it will be more obvious when riding, especially when adding weight to the bike.

What I'm looking for is a bike far from buzzy, and it's a great starting point. I will eventually tune it if needed. (also heard about the snatchy throttle, being a bit better on 2019 and up model, but still a bit annoying)

I like your summaries 🤣

• Thumbsup 1

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

• Supporting Member

This is a great bike for 9h sport touring days. In practical terms, and assuming you're keeping off freeways, this works out to 600-700km days, accounting for food, fuel and stretch stops... and occasional stop to see stuff, in my experience anyway. This is probably a good daily (repeatable) pace on this bike. This isn't a grand tourer... so  I would consider claims of comfortable, and repeatable 1,000km+ days with pause.

At 160lbs... the suspension might be just right for you... so you'll get very lucky there. Windscreen and seat are all subjective, and you might get lucky there too.

It's also a great bike around town. I use it to commute, weekend outings and touring.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

This is a great bike for 9h sport touring days. In practical terms, and assuming you're keeping off freeways, this works out to 600-700km days, accounting for food, fuel and stretch stops... and occasional stop to see stuff, in my experience anyway. This is probably a good daily (repeatable) pace on this bike. This isn't a grand tourer... so  I would consider claims of comfortable, and repeatable 1,000km+ days with pause.

At 160lbs... the suspension might be just right for you... so you'll get very lucky there. Windscreen and seat are all subjective, and you might get lucky there too.

It's also a great bike around town. I use it to commute, weekend outings and touring.

Thank you with the detailed answers

I hope that I'll love it when test riding it.

The guy in my area just replied to me saying that he's willing to negotiate and let me test ride it.

Lets see where everything goes.

• Thumbsup 3

You live more in five minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their entire life. "Marco Simoncelli" - Yamaha Tracer 900 '19 - Honda CB650R '19

I've had my GT since April, and I also came of a Vstrom 650.  At first I thought I'd made a mistake due to vibes.  However, now it feels downright smooth to me.  Hard acceleration you do get vibes, but that's to be expected.  I figure it's a combination of the engine breaking in and me getting used to the bike.  I've never had a bike that I haven't changed the screen and seat.  I've got a MRA Touring screen with the spoiler and it works fine for me.  The biggest problem I have with the stock seat is that it slides you forward.  I'll be getting a Terry Adcox seat next month.  I still think my Vstrom 650 was a little bit more comfortable but the GT is WAY MORE fun.  If you've never had cruise control you'll love that.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, bps said:

I've had my GT since April, and I also came of a Vstrom 650.  At first I thought I'd made a mistake due to vibes.  However, now it feels downright smooth to me.  Hard acceleration you do get vibes, but that's to be expected.  I figure it's a combination of the engine breaking in and me getting used to the bike.  I've never had a bike that I haven't changed the screen and seat.  I've got a MRA Touring screen with the spoiler and it works fine for me.  The biggest problem I have with the stock seat is that it slides you forward.  I'll be getting a Terry Adcox seat next month.  I still think my Vstrom 650 was a little bit more comfortable but the GT is WAY MORE fun.  If you've never had cruise control you'll love that.

Thanks for sharing

At this point, my first mods would be the seat and windscreen if I feel the need.

Took a quick look at this Terry guy, and he's making very good seats at very good prices.

I hope to test ride the bike on Thursday, can't wait!!!

Cheers!!!!

I checked with Terry and he is booked until January! 

I also had a V-Strom 650. Great bike and very comfortable, but the Tracer is more fun to ride. 

Inventory is low for bikes at the moment (and boats, and all things outdoors). If you like the bike I think it is a very fair price. 4000 miles is barely broken in! 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

I can't comment on the Triumph, but I hear you with the V-Strom(s).

Coming from a V-Strom DL1000, I can tell you that the FJ-09 / Tracer handles WAY better.  The 'Strom's usually have a larger front wheel; mine has a 19", but the FJ/Tracer has a 17".  I had no idea just how much this affects handling until riding one after the other.  It's a world of difference.  The FJ/Tracer is also lighter - it 'feels' much lighter than it actually is; and, for the cubes, delivers more power.

I'll miss the DL for the comfort...the PO had installed a 3" footpeg lowering kit.  That and the styling (big beefy bike) are about all I'll miss.  Yamaha has converted me, and I'm not afraid to take the FJ down any road, for any length of time, even a bit of gravel here and there.  I find it to be a confidence-inducing bike, even in the city.  The seat slope doesn't bother me, in fact I prefer to plant a bit more forward - that's totally subjective, though.

Edited by knyte
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

The guy accepted 10k, super deal!!!

Tomorrow I’ll go test ride it

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 4

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, MrFritz86 said:

The guy accepted 10k, super deal!!!

Tomorrow I’ll go test ride it

Do yourself a favour for the test ride and spend the 10 minutes that it takes to get the suspension into the ballpark for your weight. I am sure the seller won't mind if it helps him sell the thing.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

2 hours ago, piotrek said:

Do yourself a favour for the test ride and spend the 10 minutes that it takes to get the suspension into the ballpark for your weight. I am sure the seller won't mind if it helps him sell the thing.

I’ll definitely spend some time to set the suspension 

I’ve already checked the standard setup, I’m assuming it’s based on average weight like mine, I’m going first with that to have a good start point

then make some adjustments if I feel the need.

thank you for the advise btw

• Thumbsup 1

Did the test ride and I liked ti so far.

I took it on a bumpy highway and the suspensions were very good imo.

I can already tell with the standard setting the rear shock is soft btw.

The air buffeting was in check with the Puig windscreen, at least was clean air without head shaking!!

Vibrations are there but not buzzy at all, so definitely impressed. Cruising vibrations free.

The engine was ready all the time, the throttle response was buttery smooth, not snatchy as a lot of people stated (I even asked if they did remap the ECU), it was in STD mode tho.

One thing that bumps me, is the dash being a little off to the right, what do you guys think?

here some pics, see the dash offset

6lAtU44h.jpg

Post with 0 views. tracer

• Like 1

Looks good. You can change the rider pegs to ones with rubber on top, which would help with any vibes through your feet. And a radiator guard would be a good investment.

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

Looks good. You can change the rider pegs to ones with rubber on top, which would help with any vibes through your feet. And a radiator guard would be a good investment.

Going to blatantly thread jack here... Are you up late or early? Isn't about 2AM in Scotland? 

• Haha 1

'15 FJ09