14,800 kms

joe72t

Hello All,

I have a 2019 Gt and have just got to the wear bars on the rear stock dunlop tires.  The front look like I could easily get another 5k.

I think this is pretty darn good.  Is this what you guys/gals are finding?

ty

• Supporting Member

Hah that's almost exactly what I got, except in my mind I was thinking "about 9000mi". Front looked like it could do another couple thousand too.

Honestly I think that they are pretty good tires and I never really had complaints even when pushing them hard, just throw the bike in B mode for heavy rain. They're super cheap now as a pair (Roadsmart 2) online, to the point where if I can consistently get 9-10k miles on them is there really a reason to buy anything else? They're literally almost exactly half the price of the Roadsmart 3s on Revzilla.com right now for a set: $150 vs $300.

I currently have Roadsmart 3's and I'm at 11K miles and am not at the wear bars yet. However, I do four-season riding and I've noticed the RS3s take longer to warm up the the RS2s, they are measurably better in the heavy rain though so we'll see how I feel when it's time for new rubber.

Cheers,

Edited by jthayer09

I changed my tires last week at 11,000 miles. I hope and believe they were the original tires but being the second owner I only have dealer and service records to work from. Could well be that the first owner changed and then refitted the originals when he traded down (He Couldn't have traded up if he changed the Tracer for something else)  I was of the opinion that the lighter weight of the Tracer would be kinder on tires than My last two much heavier bikes but got to weight that up with way better acceleration. Time will tell with the new set of rubber.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I was of the opinion that the lighter weight of the Tracer would be kinder on tires than My last two much heavier bikes but got to weight that up with way better acceleration. Time will tell with the new set of rubber.

I thought the same thing but I get slightly less tire life on my FJ than I did on my previous FZ1.  On my FZ1 I could get 7-9k and on the FJ I get 6-8k. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Just back from helping My friend out by taking his wheels and new tires down to be fitted. His GT is sitting at just over 4,000 miles an the stock tires and both front and rear tire were looking close to the limit not as bad as the old set I had replaced but maybe only good for another 1000 miles. We are heading off on Saturday for a weeks touring and He wasn't confident they would do the distance.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, HGP61 said:

Just back from helping My friend out by taking his wheels and new tires down to be fitted. His GT is sitting at just over 4,000 miles an the stock tires and both front and rear tire were looking close to the limit not as bad as the old set I had replaced but maybe only good for another 1000 miles. We are heading off on Saturday for a weeks touring and He wasn't confident they would do the distance.

Isn't it interesting how two riders can get completely different tire mileage out of the same bike?

Good choice getting the new tires prior to the trip, that has happened to me one time where I tried to coax the last bit of tread life out of a tire while on a 9 day road trip.  I made it within 600 miles of reaching home when I got to the metal bands starting to show and had to find a bike shop for a replacement.  Ironically, I had a brand new set of tires waiting in the garage but didn't quite make it.  Lesson learned.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Isn't it interesting how two riders can get completely different tire mileage out of the same bike?

It really is...  I seem to be on the 'rapid consumer' end of the tire spectrum.   4,800 miles (barely) out of the stock D222s, and only a bit more from the Michelin PR4 and Road 5s I've run.  

Do the GTs come with the same Dunlop D222 as OEM fitment? 

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Isn't it interesting how two riders can get completely different tire mileage out of the same bike

So many variables, weight of rider and loading, road surface and the pure enjoyment of a very flexible right wrist perhaps.

My last bike, a Honda CBF 1000 the rear tire went from looking legal (admittedly at a glance) to the wire cord showing through over a third of the circumference half way through a 200 mile day out. I had a very steady slow and smooth run home.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HGP61 said:

So many variables, weight of rider and loading, road surface and the pure enjoyment of a very flexible right wrist perhaps.

My last bike, a Honda CBF 1000 the rear tire went from looking legal (admittedly at a glance) to the wire cord showing through over a third of the circumference half way through a 200 mile day out. I had a very steady slow and smooth run home.

It's amazing, isn't it.  I did the same thing on my Bandit 1200.  I had recently replaced the front tire, the rear still looked pretty good at about 4500 miles (Battleaxe).  Went for an all day mountain ride in Colo, was blasting 100+ mph in several areas.  Thought nothing of it.

I stopped at the store on the way home, but on the way out I noticed a thick white stripe on the rear tire.  It was a 2 1/2 inch wide area worn down into the cords, which were frazzled and coming apart. 

I pushed on it with my finger, it was soft like a balloon.  It gave me pause to think that I'd been ripping up I-70 at 100+ mph just minutes before.   With only a few miles left to go, I limped all the way home on the stony shoulder of the road ~ 5 mph.  I was totally expecting to be riding on the rim shortly, but somehow made it home.  God was with me that day.  Lesson learned!

• Thumbsup 2

Yeah HJP61 thanks for doing that and also thanks for helping today rear brand new tyre and nail in tread after 12 miles 

Also made the mistake off running up rear wheel in gear so EML on now 

Happy holiday.

Any of the Scottish owners got access to a code reader to put out my wee orange lamp ideally later today or Saturday morning

Thanks WLC18

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/5/2020 at 5:53 PM, HGP61 said:

I'm just passed 4k on stock tyres and there ain't much left. Front has worn the most. Got some cheap maxiss to try.

How was the tour.?

3 hours ago, Dodgy Knees said:

How was the tour.?

I'll let you know next week when we come back but, I will be away with my bike and my pals so I already know its going to be great.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2