Looking for a new windshield

Hi all. 

I'm a happy owner of a brand new tracer 900 gt. I knew that the first thing I had to change would be the windshield simply because I am quite big. I'm about 6.5 (1.98m) and after a long search in this forum the madstad windshield it is the best in slot.

So three main questions to the guys with 6.5 and madstad windshield. 

-It really works? 

-Do you like the aspect of the bike with the screen? 

-No wobble in high speeds? 

Other question. I'm Portuguese and to use that windshield it must have homologation. I don't find any information about that. 

Sorry for the long text and for my English. 

Best regards. 

36 minutes ago, Paulo Cz said:

Hi all. 

I'm a happy owner of a brand new tracer 900 gt. I knew that the first thing I had to change would be the windshield simply because I am quite big. I'm about 6.5 (1.98m) and after a long search in this forum the madstad windshield it is the best in slot.

So three main questions to the guys with 6.5 and madstad windshield. 

-It really works? 

-Do you like the aspect of the bike with the screen? 

-No wobble in high speeds? 

Other question. I'm Portuguese and to use that windshield it must have homologation. I don't find any information about that. 

Sorry for the long text and for my English. 

Best regards. 

I’ve got the 24” Madstad (6’ 2” 33”inseam) and it could be taller.  Has a spot on the mount to place a RAM ball (one that has a u-bolt for handlebars bolts right on) for a equipment mount above the instrument cluster.

I prefer it in the more vertical position (for maximum height) and did have issues with it blowing back in the “angle” adjuster slots over a ton-up.

Made a set of spacers last night that essentially fix the angle where I want it, still have the vertical (2 3/8”) adjustment if I want to drop it.

Stability can be an issue (of the bike, not the windscreen) but is my current understanding that any of the oversized windshields have the same problem.

I am 195 lbs dressed and have to climb on the tank (front end is very light in general).

Hope this helps.

Mark

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Paulo, I use the MRA Vario screen with a spoiler. The standard screen is terrible; the MRA is great. It’s German made from aircraft grade plastic so it’s strong and doesn’t flap about like the original. I can’t recommend it enough. 

46 minutes ago, Paddy01 said:

Hi Paulo, I use the MRA Vario screen with a spoiler. The standard screen is terrible; the MRA is great. It’s German made from aircraft grade plastic so it’s strong and doesn’t flap about like the original. I can’t recommend it enough. 

I think Paulo would be a bit tall for the MRA Vario.

I'm 5'11" and at the highest setting it was just about OK, airflow was hitting just above my visor,  I have added a 5mm spacer on the top mount, to increase the angle of the screen and this has improved the airflow to hit just at the top of my helmet.  I still get a little buffeting at the shoulders.

For a tall rider I think it will be a huge screen to give smooth airflow at helmet level, might be better to consider a sports screen so the airflow hits just below shoulder height, this normally gives smooth air at helmet level.

Thanks Cornersruns. I’m 6’0” and the good thing about the MRA is the (slightly) adjustable spoiler. Everyone has their own threshold on what type of airflow is acceptable. There’ll always be a bit of wind around the helmet regardless of what screen you use. My main beef with the OE screen was the buffeting. The MRA spoiler just slices through it. 

Have the MRA touring, save as Vario but without the adjustable part.  I’m 5’ 10” and wind hits at my shoulders.  A nice windscreen but will probably go with the MadStad 22” for long trips (5,500 to 6,000 miles).   Had one on my BMW F800GT, great for long trips, not so great for short rides in hot weather.  

have had no stability issues at all with m 2020 bike with stock or the MRA touring windscreen

Update:  took a longer ride today, half interstate and half back roads.  Windscreen is very good.  Just a nice flow of air back to the helmet with wind hitting the top of my shoulders and up.  At higher speeds on the interstate no buffeting and blasting even when passing trucks.  A really nice windscreen and probably all i really need.  I have a variable spoiler to put on top of it on order from Amazon.  It would make it more like the MRA Vario.  It would be nice to have something to direct the blast over my head to make the ride a bit quieter.  For long trips I'm still thinking MadStad as something to keep more rain off of me for those days when I get caught in a day long rain and wind.  I keep getting better with helmets that don't fog or get water inside but not perfect yet.  MadStad would be good to keep rain to the visor down to help with the fogging and water droplets on the inside of the visor.

Update II:  Fitted a $33 spoiler from Amazon, similar to Vario now.  Surprisingly good improvement.  With the spoiler set basically parallel to the top of the windscreen the wind now hits the top of my helmet from the top of the visor up.  I get a little bit of wind lightly patting my shoulders when encountering large vehicles on the interstate.  Have good enough airflow that the helmet vents are useful but not too much noise.  This is a good combination, will play more with the settings on the spoiler next week but certainly a screen I could take some long rides with.  Makes me somewhat regret not going ahead and getting the Vario to start with but didn't know how it would work out. 

Edited by PhotoAl
added Update II

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 4:16 AM, Paddy01 said:

I have the same one. Love it. But I'm short. 5'5" 160 lbs. With windshield up all the way and deflector all the way up the draft barely hits the top of my helmet. Very stable even at 85 to 90 mph. For hot days with only city riding I lower the deflector and it puts just the right amount of wind in my face.

I use PUIG WINDSHIELD TRANSPARENT 7646W, much better then original. 140-150 km/h - weak wind in my Shoei visor. (190 cm). cx not changed

Givi - not recommend, problems with aerodynamic.

CQxrnrOUEAAzq3t.jpg

Edited by kirgudu
  • Thumbsup 1

+1 on the Madstad.  Windshields create vacuum, and thus turbulence & helmet buffeting, behind the shield.  Madstad engineered an adjustable (height & angle) mounting system to allow air flow behind the screen, eliminating the vacuum.  

(Calsci is another company that addresses the vacuum problem).

• Thumbsup 2

I like the functionality of the Madstad but I was concerned with all that weight hanging on the stock bracket so I went with the Puig. Plenty of air gets around this windshield either in the full down or full up position there is no buffeting. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Shizzle said:

I like the functionality of the Madstad but I was concerned with all that weight hanging on the stock bracket so I went with the Puig. Plenty of air gets around this windshield either in the full down or full up position there is no buffeting. 

This is a valid concern. Many sad owners have suffered broken front subframes under the strain of a large windshield. I don't know if the 2018+ Tracer is different, but if you have a 2015-17 model you should consider it mandatory to reinforce the subframe for a large windshield. There is some good information here:

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/8500-barn-door-smackdown-v-stream-touring-vs-madstad-26/