Trailer Queen?????

• Supporting Member
On 8/9/2020 at 11:55 AM, duhg said:

folding stand-up trailer like a Kendon

LOVE that idea.  Wanted one on first sight.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I have two trailers and a toy hauler that I use. Ones a two bike Kendon that folds up and is kept along a wall in my garage. Rarely use it cause I have to use straps with it and I can’t see it behind my truck. My 6x10 open trailer has two Pitbull restraint plates on it and no straps needed. I use this trailer quite a bit. The toy hauler has a 8’x9’ room on the tail that has two Pitbull restraint plates and two Pingel chocks if I have to use a bike with straps. Primarily use the toy hauler if my wife goes but I have used it on my own when the weather is not tent camping weather. 

I rarely do the long ride to a destination. My last big trip was Key West this week last year on my Africa Twin. I trailer my bikes 95% of the time. As I’ve gotten older the big nice comfortable 3/4 ton diesel truck is just way better to get somewhere quick trailering and not be exhausted when I arrive. 

• Thumbsup 1

One of my reasons for buying the Tracer in place of my current XR1200 was that it at least makes it possible to do the "getting to the fun stuff" miles on the bike, thereby giving a lot more flexibility in terms of planning routes and stops once I get to the mountains, etc.  My good friend Don, the legendary "Lakota" on the XR forum notwithstanding (he does cross-continent trips on his every year), most people would do everything possible to avoid long trips on the XR with its lack of creature comforts and small tank.

So my solution has been a 5 x 10 enclosed trailer with a wheel chock and tiedown rings mounted in it.  That combo has worked for three major trips requiring 1000 miles transit each way with no drama at all.  When I bought the Tracer last week from a dealer 110 miles away, I was trading a ski boat, so needed to pull it down there making it impossible to bring my trailer.  Brought the bike back in the bed of my pickup, and although fuel economy is better than pulling the trailer, I would trade that in a heartbeat for the ease of loading/unloading and the security of the trailer.  

Planning another trip to the beautiful Okanagan Valley next April, Covid permitting, and the trailer will be making the trip with the Tracer and two bicycles in there, and probably a lot of wine on the way home!

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Hi gerrychuck. Congratulations on the Tracer. I gave my XR1200 to my son (thesplash94 at the ownersgroup) and have been on the FJ since 2016. 

Good to see a fellow XR guy 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, knyte said:

LOVE that idea.  Wanted one on first sight.

I have since purchased a 2-bike Kendon.  I don't have the garage sorted  just yet, but It will stand in front of the car this winter.  It takes up the same amount of floor space as one motorcycle.  I've used it twice.  Love it.

• Thumbsup 4

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

13 minutes ago, duhg said:

I have since purchased a 2-bike Kendon.  I don't have the garage sorted  just yet, but It will stand in front of the car this winter.  It takes up the same amount of floor space as one motorcycle.  I've used it twice.  Love it.

Very good trailer I’ve had one going on 14 years now. Everyone I know wants to buy it lol 

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, tktplz said:

Well, made a new bike trailer for trips to Deals Gap, NC each year. Until I retire, 5 years, 9 months but who's counting? Don't have the extra time off to ride it, 2 days there and 2 days back while riding a week there. The stimulus check was the stimulate the economy so this is what I did for my little bit for the economy. IMG_9094.thumb.JPG.9fea258107d20e83aa311aad06cd3755.JPGIMG_9090.thumb.JPG.be4c9fad8070a88860aa53b43e6f9f73.JPGIMG_9093.thumb.JPG.9a332d4b2509d95d84156684fdb6520a.JPGIMG_9087.thumb.JPG.c4abbd4722cc338bd904ccf3154a49ff.JPGIMG_9136.thumb.JPG.d0273dea239bfc9f661dfc227c14b95c.JPG the deck with "add sand" so the wood is like sand paper, grippy!  Wheel chocks "like" Condor's but 75 bucks a piece instead of 165.00 bucks or so a piece. 6,000 lb. test tie downs just to be sure, LOL! Turned out well and am happy with the investment. I ride to The Hill Country in Texas, 450 miles each way and Eureka Springs, Mountain Home, AR trips at 400 miles each way approx. At 1600 miles round trip, home to Blowing Rock, NC and then on down to Deals Gap, NC and then back home the trailer is a necessity at this point in time. Found the perfect Licence Plate Frame too. 

Great looking trailer!  Outstanding price, too.  And good choice on the 15" wheels.

I used to trailer my bikes from Chicago to Estes Park, CO every summer for years, until I finally moved to Denver in '96.  World-class motorcycling out there, best 14 years of my life.

Funny you mentioned Eureka Springs.  I'm retired now, living in NWA.  I zoom through Eureka Springs fairly often just for the nearby twisties.  From there, I head up into SW MO where the roads are great, the terrain is varied, and the traffic is sparse.   Haven't made it over to Mountain Home yet, but will eventually.

Enjoy your upcoming trips!

12 hours ago, 2WHLOZK said:

I used to trailer my bikes from Chicago to Estes Park, CO every summer for years, until I finally moved to Denver in '96.  World-class motorcycling out there, best 14 years of my life.

We have Friends that used to live in Bismarck, AR but have now retired to Placitas, NM. We are planning a trip this next summer to go there and ride the Rockies. Also want to get with Betoney to get trip routes out in the Pacific Northwest. They pix on his trips are wonderful. We are probably going to fly there and rent and ride. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, tktplz said:

Also want to get with Betoney to get trip routes out in the Pacific Northwest. They pix on his trips are wonderful. We are probably going to fly there and rent and ride. 

When you know specifics about your vacation, let me know and I can help with routes/ recommendations. 👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

@Larz

1 hour ago, Larz said:

me no likey trailer:

image.thumb.png.9addd1eb8af844679e0bda955832eefc.pngimage.thumb.png.ba7e80be41a50cacef19d89665b82615.png

Got a link?

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA