Exhaust re-packing -- when?

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Just a couple of general questions for the exhaust experts out there.

When is it 'time' to re-pack an after market exhaust.

Is there a way to tell? Some might say "when it gets louder", but that can be like watching your kids grow up - everyone else notices but you.

Is it a straight forward process or is there some science involved/required?

Any other thoughts.....

TIA

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Just a couple of general questions for the exhaust experts out there.

When is it 'time' to re-pack an after market exhaust.

Is there a way to tell? Some might say "when it gets louder", but that can be like watching your kids grow up - everyone else notices but you.

Is it a straight forward process or is there some science involved/required?

Any other thoughts.....

TIA

This stock exhaust doesn't use packing like some slip-ons, the Scorpion slip-on is maintenance free as well.  What exhaust do you have? 

My last bike had a Two-Brothers slip on that required re-packing, you have to drill out rivets and remove the can from the pipe (there are You Tube videos available)  When you replace the old material you just rivet the can back on.  As far as 'how often', that's very hard to say, there are manufacturers recommendation but I found those to be like Yamaha's recommendation for spark plug replacement...  I found my packing still looked new.  I would think if you are racing or in the high rpm's a lot, or your bike spits flames on decel it will be much more often than commuting or 'normal' use.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Normally, about every 20,000 mi. The maker of your pipe may have a kit, and there are many aftermarket products available. Some units require drilling out and replacing pop rivets, etc. Do some research, this is not an unusual issue and plenty of info is available, with even more opinion than there is about motor oil! 

Do wear rubber gloves, and even cover your mouth when opening up the can as they can be full of toxic dust including fiber glass. Do your best to contain the stuff, it is not pleasant - sort of like cleaning a chimney. I have done it many times, but common sense has finally caught up with me and I now stay with the stock (No glass pack!) units and, at least for me, the ensuing quiet is welcome... Just my opinion, not casting judgement. I rode with aftermarket pipes for over 40 years, repacked all of them several times, and indeed, I enjoyed the whole experience. Just not anymore.

The first time takes some fun research, and a bit of fiddling, and likely a dusty surprise when you open it up the first time, but if the looks and sound are worth it to you (it was to me for a long time), go for it. After a few times it becomes a doodle.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
On 8/15/2020 at 11:55 PM, betoney said:

This stock exhaust doesn't use packing like some slip-ons, the Scorpion slip-on is maintenance free as well.  What exhaust do you have? 

My last bike had a Two-Brothers slip on that required re-packing, you have to drill out rivets and remove the can from the pipe (there are You Tube videos available)  When you replace the old material you just rivet the can back on.  As far as 'how often', that's very hard to say, there are manufacturers recommendation but I found those to be like Yamaha's recommendation for spark plug replacement...  I found my packing still looked new.  I would think if you are racing or in the high rpm's a lot, or your bike spits flames on decel it will be much more often than commuting or 'normal' use.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:47 AM, huck said:

Normally, about every 20,000 mi. The maker of your pipe may have a kit, and there are many aftermarket products available. Some units require drilling out and replacing pop rivets, etc. Do some research, this is not an unusual issue and plenty of info is available, with even more opinion than there is about motor oil! 

Do wear rubber gloves, and even cover your mouth when opening up the can as they can be full of toxic dust including fiber glass. Do your best to contain the stuff, it is not pleasant - sort of like cleaning a chimney. I have done it many times, but common sense has finally caught up with me and I now stay with the stock (No glass pack!) units and, at least for me, the ensuing quiet is welcome... Just my opinion, not casting judgement. I rode with aftermarket pipes for over 40 years, repacked all of them several times, and indeed, I enjoyed the whole experience. Just not anymore.

The first time takes some fun research, and a bit of fiddling, and likely a dusty surprise when you open it up the first time, but if the looks and sound are worth it to you (it was to me for a long time), go for it. After a few times it becomes a doodle.

My aftermarket system is an Arrow X-Kone.  This question was probably more rhetoric than anything else.  More out of curiosity than a real need but I do appreciate the feedback.

And @huck since I wrote this enquiry I have done some further research and you're right, plenty of opinions and thoughts on how and when.

You are probably correct in your logic with sticking with the OEM exhaust for all of the reasons you have stated - particularly the quiet bit. 🙂

Cheers.

• Premium Member

I have 2 bikes with cans that require repacking.  A real PITA. Coincidentally, I'm getting ready to back my VTRs ancient 2Bros C2 cans.  I use stainless steel wool over the core and alternating thin layers of high temp fiberglass and ceramic insulation, as well as aluminum wide head rivets with SS pull pins.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...