accessory fly leads under instrument cluster

wessie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Are all 4 of the plugs just switched power or does work in conjunction with high beam?
the wire for the secondary accessory socket will be switched with the ignition, like the standard accessory socket 
the accessory lighting wires will be switched with the "engine running" relay i.e. live when the dipped headlight is on - you could use these to power extra lights or a set of heated grips.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Which of these plugs can I use to power my 390 garmin ??
use the one that is live when you turn on the ignition, the one destined for a 2nd accessory socket - it will look just like the wire going to the existing socket. All will become obvious when you disassemble the screen to get access. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Do you mean the black one as opposed to either of the two grey ones ??
yes, look back at the 1st post with the photo - the ivory one will be in use to the existing power socket. The black one is a spare - the auxiliary socket will plug into that, or you can use it for you satnav. The grey plugs with round pins are for lights - they will only be live when the engine runs, not ideal for a satnav. 

Are all 4 of the plugs just switched power or does work in conjunction with high beam?
the wire for the secondary accessory socket will be switched with the ignition, like the standard accessory socket 
the accessory lighting wires will be switched with the "engine running" relay i.e. live when the dipped headlight is on - you could use these to power extra lights or a set of heated grips.
Guess that means I'll have to do a bit of custom wiring then. What I'm after is a set of auxiliary lights that I can only switch on with high beams, so I have the option of keeping them off. 

• Premium Member
Guess that means I'll have to do a bit of custom wiring then. What I'm after is a set of auxiliary lights that I can only switch on with high beams, so I have the option of keeping them off. 
Why not just wire them up to a circuit with a relay which is activated when the ignition switch is energized and an on-off switch? Thats how I've done mine and it works a treat. 

• Premium Member
Why not just wire them up to a circuit with a relay which is activated when the ignition switch is energized and an on-off switch? Thats how I've done mine and it works a treat.
The wiring for the Yamaha accessory lights have a handlebar mounted switch, which gives you the choice of using the extra lights with dipped beam or main beam. This means operating two switches for main beam & auxiliary lights.

If you only want to have the aux lights on with main beam, and don't ever want to run with the main beam only,  get the feed for the main beam to activate the additional relay, which will switch the power from those grey wires. 

Relatively simple whichever way you choose.

I have an idea how to do it, just want to have the aux lights only come on when the high beams are on, when I switch the high beam off I want the aux lights to click off too, but I still want the ability to choose to turn the aux lights on. Gets dark on the back roads, but they're not always vacant..

I have an idea how to do it, just want to have the aux lights only come on when the high beams are on, when I switch the high beam off I want the aux lights to click off too, but I still want the ability to choose to turn the aux lights on. Gets dark on the back roads, but they're not always vacant..
Why not ride with them on at all times? I'm all about being seen, and trust me...people see mine. Who cares if the occasional person flashes you. I want to be seen and be able to see as much as possible.

Why not ride with them on at all times? I'm all about being seen, and trust me...people see mine. Who cares if the occasional person flashes you. I want to be seen and be able to see as much as possible.
Because bikers already have a bad name associated with them, and I'd rather not take sides. I have no issues being seen during the day, or the night for that matter (where the aux lights would primarily be used). 

• 1 month later...

Archived