accessory fly leads under instrument cluster

wessie

Swapping fuses is a risky endeavor. Do you know the full length of the cable run and the gauge of the cable used (to know what the maximum current load capacity of that circuit is)? Do you know all the type of terminals used in that circuit (they too have a current capacity)? Do you plan to keep a tab on how many fuses you will change in total to make sure you don't exceed the overall system capacity? Do yo know is there are any items in the circuit that are part of how that circuit is supposed to work (eg. a light bulb has an impedance that is used by the turn signal flash circuit to detect if it failed and provide a fast blink)?

In short, it can work, but is the risk worth it? To me, it isn't. Anytime I want to do that, I go to the battery and add my fuse on that run. Easier to keep tabs on system load and not overload other circuits.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
I would run an additional wire direct to the battery with correct size wire for 5A fuse. There may be a reason for the 2A fuse and that circuit may fail if the load is too great.
That's why I just bought this set of 2 marine grade 12 V/DC power ports with the correct wiring and a 10 amp fuse inline in each of them. I will hard wire them in myself. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Motorcycle-Receptacle-Waterproof-ZHSMS/dp/B07BQ1JYTX/ref=pd_cart_vw_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BQ1JYTX&pd_rd_r=C5EB1Z7V1GSNVA87RZG7&pd_rd_w=HjlZ6&pd_rd_wg=9sZxG&psc=1&refRID=C5EB1Z7V1GSNVA87RZG7

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 2 months later...

That's why I just bought this set of 2 marine grade 12 V/DC power ports with the correct wiring and a 10 amp fuse inline in each of them. I will hard wire them in myself. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Motorcycle-Receptacle-Waterproof-ZHSMS/dp/B07BQ1JYTX/ref=pd_cart_vw_1_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07BQ1JYTX&pd_rd_r=C5EB1Z7V1GSNVA87RZG7&pd_rd_w=HjlZ6&pd_rd_wg=9sZxG&psc=1&refRID=C5EB1Z7V1GSNVA87RZG7
Where did you mount these? 

I gave up using the 12V adapter. A good socket ends up getting compromised while being used under the rain. Since I mainly used mine for my iPhone that I use for everything, including navigation, I used this instead:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2DGHP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I connected it to the gray connectors as stated on a previous post. The one that came with the bikes tays largely unused.

• 2 months later...
Thanks, I'm going to investigate the connectors now! 

What connectors did you use????  I have installed the Dzell LED's and run the cable to the 12V accessory plug but how do I connect the bare wires to the female end of the plug.  The package didnt come with anything and the instructions just say "Connect the LED to 12v spare terminals" but how the heck am I supposed to do that?

I'm confused too. I'm also trying to wire the DZELL LED'S. Which color plug connector and anyone got a direct link to that part?

Archived