2021 GT Updates

Darold

The 9 GT looks like a nice step up from the current model.  The only downside for me is the price increase. 14.5 big ones puts this bike into another market slot.

All of a sudden the best value machine in the mid-weight tourer class is history.

If you want to play in 2021, be prepared to pay.  We’ll see how the pandemic economy treats this new offering fromYamaha.

And my sympathies to all you 2019-20 Tracer 900 GT owners over your decreased resale value. :(

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

You make it sound as if that's something bad. Well, as long as he doesn't look like your wife (or worse, your wife looks like him)

😂

My sweet wife is an angel, but she will never understand why I "need another motorcycle."

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Well done Yamaha, I'll go against the consensus here and say that I am overall quite impressed. Very obvious that Yamaha is taking this platform seriously for the long haul, still have no regrets "at this point" on the purchase of my very fine, FUN and sweet running 2020. :) It's most certainly more on par with the Multistrada in terms of features, but of course in a much more reliable and longer lasting package......I expect Kawasaki to upgrade the Versys 1000 soon. 

on the contrary, because Kawasaki offered (in 2021y) a model almost like the SE version but without an electrically controlled suspension. This makes versys a little cheaper. So now versys comes in three versions Versys (poorest), Versys S (almost like SE but without electrically suspension), Versys SE  (full).

• Thumbsup 2

Very interesting and some good info in this thread!

$0.02....

If all the 2021 Tracer changes are actual improvements, then the extra $$ is well spent and kudos to Yamaha.  I'm not in the market for a new bike any time soon, but I'd def like to test ride the '21 GT.  IMO, the addition of up/down QS is HUGE.  Yamaha claims "more power" and "better handling".  If true, who wouldn't like that?

The hardbags look kinda goofy, but if the new system helps stabilization at highway speeds, then great.  

Electronic suspension (if I'm reading the new Tracer ads right) means almost nothing to me.  Had it on my FJR...84 possible settings that I never bothered with.  The FJR lean angle sequential cornering LED's proved less effective that I'd hoped, so basically the $2K upcharge for the ES was a waste for me.

The addition of lowers on the Tracer might be nice too....unless they (can't tell by the pics) interfere with mounting a pair of frame sliders (aka hwy pegs).  Given a choice between the two, I'll take the sliders over lowers.  

Improvements I would have preferred to see on the new Tracer, instead?...

> Switchable driving/fog lights, instead of cornering lights.

> Bigger, brighter turn signal indicator lights on the dash.  No real need for self-cancelling signals IMO, just some form of dash lights that can't escape the rider's attention.  

> Premium OEM tires and brake pads.

> Better (read; bigger) hand guards instead of the stock ones that offer zero protection from the elements.

> On-the-fly mode changing.  Dunno about other GT owners, but I'd really like that.

> An FJR-style gas gauge, with seven segments that disappear in a linear fashion.  The current GT gas gauge is virtually useless IMO.   I'm using a trip meter for that task.

> And last but not least....a comfortable seat, or at least one that's easily modable (is that a word?).  

As always YMMV, TETO.  Cheers.

Edit:  Forgot one.....thumbwheel placed closer to the right hand grip.  

Edited by 2WHLOZK
info correction
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

A good buddy got his I think 15 S1000 XR with 8k miles and ALL the bells and whistles for under $9k!!!

He got his 13 or 14 low mile loaded RT for like $13k!

He's retired and pays cash, I hate him (even if he wasn't a Trumpy) LOL!

Now he's 50# slimmer than me but it wouldn't matter when he guns either, they disappear before I can even react, not that I'd bother.  He can ride circles around me.  72 and races an older Duc 848 2V air head and teaches track on a 600 Suzi, both track only. 

Any body notice the saddle on the 21 is 1.5 inches lower?!!  How'd they do that with the new frame?  The new frame is more open under the tank behind the cylinders buts there appears to be a charcoal fuel vapor recovery bottle in there, and you see less of the cylinder and head.

I thought I also spotted they moved the VRR to the side open to much better air flow.

I like my 15s shorter swing arm, lighter weight and red color, and no payments...

• Thumbsup 2

On 11/17/2020 at 2:19 PM, rlambke19 said:

I admit, I am struggling with that dash though.

Instead of one solid area to keep clean - there are now 4. Ugh.

I can't quite tell, but it appears to be a large bolt head smack dab in the middle between the 2 screens. You know, right where your eyes will look when you look down.  😕

dash.jpg

Looks like my scuba diving mask! Love my nicely farkled 2020. 

• Thumbsup 2

meh on the looks; not that my 2019 or the 2020 are great works of motorcycle art appereance wise. The quick shifter sounds nice, as for the rest, would have to ride one to see if the other upgrades made that much of an impact. Gonna just keep on being happy with what I got for now

7 hours ago, nhchris said:

The 9 GT looks like a nice step up from the current model.  The only downside for me is the price increase. 14.5 big ones puts this bike into another market slot.

All of a sudden the best value machine in the mid-weight tourer class is history.

If you want to play in 2021, be prepared to pay.  We’ll see how the pandemic economy treats this new offering fromYamaha.

And my sympathies to all you 2019-20 Tracer 900 GT owners over your decreased resale value. :(

I disagree.  My 2019 GT with 6k miles for $10,000 would be a steal up against one of these for $15,000.  If anything I think it increases the value of the 19/20. 

6 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Honestly, I dont think thats the case over the already super sad decrease in value of used motorcycles

Is that really the case? I thought that C19 had caused a significant increase in people buying "entertainment" vehicles such as motorbikes, 4wds, campers, caravans, scooters, mountainbikes and the like. Anecdotally I've heard it's very hard to find good used motorbikes because people are buying the market dry.

In that context, it may be that Yammy are taking advantage of the situation and selling a premium GT9 while the market is hot.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, ZigMerid said:

Is that really the case? I thought that C19 had caused a significant increase in people buying "entertainment" vehicles such as motorbikes, 4wds, campers, caravans, scooters, mountainbikes and the like. Anecdotally I've heard it's very hard to find good used motorbikes because people are buying the market dry.

Very True, there was a local large RV/Camper sales center that said their sales had almost quadrupled this year and the owner of the local Yamaha dealer said this has been their highest sales volume year, ever.  They are routinely selling out and having to reorder more inventory, on certain models.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***