2021 GT Updates

Darold

Hi everyone,

Not to give a false sense of hope, but I have been looking around for a used tracer GT (I am in japan) and ran a cross Yamaha shop selling a test ride bike.  Can’t imagine they would want to do that unless there is a few updates coming this year... maybe the engine change for Euro 5 at least... my big hope would be cornering ABS but that probably isn’t happening.  Kind of holding off buying one with hope of announcement in next month or so... 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 10/3/2020 at 12:14 AM, quaxum said:

It will be interesting to see if that means much in "real-world" performance, adding displacement to offset emission restrictions might just end up being a wash? 🤷‍♀️

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

No changes except for color in 21.....per the sales manager at my dealership.

Dang!

My 2019 was written off a few weeks ago and I've been waiting to see what the 2021 might look like before I decide on what to get.

Rob

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ride365 said:

No changes except for color in 21.....per the sales manager at my dealership.

Interesting, I was just at my dealership an hour ago and the owner said Yamaha hasn't released any info and probably wont for at least 4-6 weeks?  🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 minutes ago, betoney said:

Interesting, I was just at my dealership an hour ago and the owner said Yamaha hasn't released any info and probably wont for at least 4-6 weeks?  🤷‍♀️

My dealer also said something similar.

Is it just me or does that seem late for new models to be announced?

My hope is that this delay could possibly indicate that they are getting ready to announce some more changes.

Of course, being 2020 - anything is possible! 

Rob

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, SalarymanJ said:

Hi everyone,

Not to give a false sense of hope, but I have been looking around for a used tracer GT (I am in japan) and ran a cross Yamaha shop selling a test ride bike.  Can’t imagine they would want to do that unless there is a few updates coming this year... maybe the engine change for Euro 5 at least... my big hope would be cornering ABS but that probably isn’t happening.  Kind of holding off buying one with hope of announcement in next month or so... 

Selling demo bikes at the end of the season is quite normal.

It adds to the number of bikes sold which might result in a bigger bonus from the importer for the dealer. Very often demo bikes are only formally registered once sold to a client.

Also, selling it now might be financially more interesting as next year the bike will be from an "old" model year and thus less valuable. And having the bike in the showroom during the winter is just money sitting there doing nothing.

And the importer and/or Yamaha might actually demand from a dealer that they buy a demo bike from the latest model year with the latest colours every season. You would be surprised through what hoops car/motor dealers need to jump in order to become and remain an official dealer.

11 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

Selling demo bikes at the end of the season is quite normal.

It adds to the number of bikes sold which might result in a bigger bonus from the importer for the dealer. Very often demo bikes are only formally registered once sold to a client.

Also, selling it now might be financially more interesting as next year the bike will be from an "old" model year and thus less valuable. And having the bike in the showroom during the winter is just money sitting there doing nothing.

And the importer and/or Yamaha might actually demand from a dealer that they buy a demo bike from the latest model year with the latest colours every season. You would be surprised through what hoops car/motor dealers need to jump in order to become and remain an official dealer.

I would agree with that normally except this is Japan we’re things work a bit different.  The dealers are owned by Yamaha (unlike states) and they usually have very limited room to show any bikes (most are more of repair shops with maybe 5-10 bikes to show).  Most are ordered on demand (same with cars).

Test bikes are usually used multiple years unless there is a major revision. The tracer at this dealer for instance was a 2018 model. Bikes also have to be registered to test drive which technically makes them used and ticks down inspection timer (you get 3 years when new but then have to pay roughly $800-$1000 every two years after).  So seems a bit odd to me unless a new model is coming but could be they just want to dump it before inspection timer goes out. 

Anyway, seems like for Euro 5 new bikes have to update for standard in 2021 so might just see engine revision and that’s it. 

6 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

Ah ok, that's different than in other countries.

In the Netherlands for example, a demo bike can have a lot of milage when you buy it, but officially you can still be the first owner (and still have 2 years of warranty).

How are you enjoying the new bike?

1 hour ago, Stew said:

How are you enjoying the new bike?

It's a delight. In the lower revs it acts as a big twin while in the higher revs it acts like a proper 3 cilinder bike. And it is just so comfortable.

A bit less power (in hp, not in torque) which is noticeable at higher speeds.

Tbh, if I were a better biker and a bit more of a sporty rider, the Tracer might have been the best choice. But I'm not really a dare devil so the easy riding on the Tiger suits me fine.

But, this forum is more fun than some of the Triumph forums. That's why I'm still hanging around.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Michiel900GT said:

It's a delight. In the lower revs it acts as a big twin while in the higher revs it acts like a proper 3 cilinder bike. And it is just so comfortable.

A bit less power (in hp, not in torque) which is noticeable at higher speeds.

Tbh, if I were a better biker and a bit more of a sporty rider, the Tracer might have been the best choice. But I'm not really a dare devil so the easy riding on the Tiger suits me fine.

But, this forum is more fun than some of the Triumph forums. That's why I'm still hanging around.

Excellent , glad to hear it.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, betoney said:

It will be interesting to see if that means much in "real-world" performance, adding displacement to offset emission restrictions might just end up being a wash? 🤷‍♀️

Maybe, but it'd probably result in more umph once you get it flashed and disable all the excess emissions restrictions 😃

• Thumbsup 3