2021 GT Updates

Darold

The lights are the reason i will definitely NEVER have one,There were 2 reasons why i bought my tracer because the lights are so bad on my mt10 that you cannot ride it at night,the shape of them means they go 20m in front but up the grass verge on both sides of the road,and the new tracer has these lights,when i found out the bigger lights on the new tracer were only the cornering lights and the little crappy one's were it's lights that's the end of it,i was thinking i could go down to 1 bike and the new tracer would be it,but i will stick to my 2 bikes now and look forward to the people who will get one then sell me their comfort seats of their 15-17 year bikes.

Edited by yamtracergaz

What bothers me about the new bike is that after two years they killed off the 2019/2020 Tracer/GT.

There will be no aftermarket for these bikes beyond what is currently available and developed, and to a large degree, what is in stock.

Prior to my 2019 GT I owned a 2000 Vmax for 18 years. What you wanted to do the bike was only limited by your imagination. This was from a bike that was in continuous production for like 30 years. It was amazing that after it's discontinuation, how quickly new after-market dried up.

Bummer. 

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 3

I saw some better pics on FB, there are some interesting updates to the bike. Adjustable Rearsets in two positions with bigger rubbered footrests, radial MC, M1-like winglets. Seat looks comfier too...

Sure a nice upgrade to the bike, personally I don't like the front. Pricing would be crucial, reports indicate a hefty increase which won't, IMHO, help sales.

• Thumbsup 1

It will be a big seller for them, you want premium features you pay a somewhat premium price. I get that many of you seem to be stuck in your old school mindset, if that's the case just enjoy the current Tracer you have. Change is never going to appease the masses, but in time the masses seem to come around. I can't find anything about this new design I don't like, I believe overall Yamaha has put alot of thought and feedback into this new design. If you like bike models that don't change much from year after year.....get a Harley. ;)

• Thumbsup 3

8 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

It will be a big seller for them, you want premium features you pay a somewhat premium price. I get that many of you seem to be stuck in your old school mindset, if that's the case just enjoy the current Tracer you have. Change is never going to appease the masses, but in time the masses seem to come around. I can't find anything about this new design I don't like, I believe overall Yamaha has put alot of thought and feedback into this new design. If you like bike models that don't change much from year after year.....get a Harley. ;)

I’m never going to hate on what someone else chooses.  And maybe if I rode one I’d be won over by some new features.  I just think they aren’t aesthetically appealing.  And one of the reasons I bought the tracer over KTM was price.  Have to laugh...I don’t think Harley is in my future.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, lospsi said:

Pricing would be crucial, reports indicate a hefty increase which won't, IMHO, help sales.

At least in the U.S. the price increase over the 2020 GT is reported to be $1,900 which is quite a lot but comparatively it's $3,300 less than the identically equipped Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+. 

The 2019/2020 GT's are the sweet spot for cost and features IMO.

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, rlambke19 said:

tracer_key.jpg

I didn't think they could do worse than the current key position, but I was wrong. I can definitely see myself dropping the key down into the voids inside the bodywork.

Maybe BMW's keyless ride isn't such a bad idea after all.

• Thumbsup 3

20 minutes ago, keithu said:

I didn't think they could do worse than the current key position, but I was wrong. I can definitely see myself dropping the key down into the voids inside the bodywork.

I think keyless would have been appropriate considering all the other upgrades, but now a phone mount on the middle handlebar might be in the way.  Oh well

Edited by Yamajank

2 hours ago, Ride365 said:

There's change,  and there's progressive change,  two completely different thing's.  Like anything else,  some will like, some won't. 

I actually think the gen 1 and 2 are good looking bikes, with the later gt having the bells and whistles for those who want.

This gen 3 is a big change.  I immediately don't like the long side panels, then the clocks, then the vulnerable sensor. then the headlights.....

I bought a standard 2018 because it ticked my boxes and the price was great. This 2021 is far more expensive and doesn't tick the boxes. 

There's a lot of competition out there and maybe Triumphs progress could aid the tracers downfall.   Time will tell. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Tracer 900 GT was in production for three years 2018 thru 2020.  It has been a very big seller for Yamaha and I think will continue to be.  Enough in common with other models don't think it will be hard to find accessories.  I did test ride an Indian the other day :-) but it was the FTR .... 

I think the most import part of what Yamaha has done is incorporating up-to-date IMU based electronics.  Maybe not as many modes as some high end bikes but certainly way more than was in this segment just a few years ago.  ABS is very common but I remember in 2015 trying to find a sport bike with ABS - was not easy.

2 hours ago, keithu said:

I ride with some Kawasaki Concours owners who have the keyless fob.  It all works great till it doesn't.  One guy put the fob in a pocket that turned out to have a hole in it.  The bike ran great for miles and miles and miles till he stopped.  When he tried to restart it, the fob was nowhere to be found.

Another instance I read about is when a couple of them are together and decide to swap bikes.  They don't think to swap fobs too.  They're close enough to start both bikes, and the bikes keep running afterward.  But somewhere along the ride, one stops to take a picture or something.  When he gets back on the bike...it won't start.

Chris

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 3

BMW has had keyless ride on some of their models for some years past.   Opinions and experiences are mixed - many don't like it.   Keyless ride (if it goes wrong) often equals rideless key.

There may be many new current 2020 (and earlier) GTs on the market while the old stock is run down, and some decent bargains may be had, I believe.   Personally, I found my last GT to be an almost perfect bike in term of outstanding value for money, performance, what it included (cc, panniers, decent seat), and looks and styling: I doubt I'll find the 2021 version as appealing, but that's only IMHO, YMMV.

• Thumbsup 3

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

The Tracer 900 GT was in production for three years 2018 thru 2020.  It has been a very big seller for Yamaha and I think will continue to be.  Enough in common with other models don't think it will be hard to find accessories.  I did test ride an Indian the other day :-) but it was the FTR .... 

Did that FTR make your backside burn like fire?  I went to a demo day just for fun, and about 10 minutes in I wanted to get off!