2021 GT Updates

Darold

1 hour ago, HGP61 said:

To get back on topic some of the improvements on the new Tracer 9 sound very good but the cost for me to trade up I would guess would be up at around £6,000 to £7,000. It would take an awful lot of WOW to make me do that. the difference now is not nearly enough.

That's why I don't end up with a new bike every couple years.  Or a new car for that matter.  It isn't like there are quantum leaps in technology or the experience.  If there were such quantum leaps...why are there the retro models?  ;)

53 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

IMHO the new F900XR doesn't impress me at all, the GT would eat it alive in so many categories. 

It probably would...but it would be fun reading.  :)

Chris

1 hour ago, daboo said:

why are there the retro models? 

Cause the real thing in decent condition would cost an arm and a leg and the braking distance would suck :)

Every time I fix a 70s'-80's era bike for somebody and hop on for a shakedown the same dialogue goes thru my head: "This motor feels pretty good. The handling isn't bad. It's like I'm back in high school. Maybe I should think about finding one for myself..."

Then I grab a handful of forty year old brake tech and it all makes sense. 

Otoh my 2005 FJR doesn't feel old to me.

Edited by chitown
typo
  • Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

Shucks I still think my fastest red 15 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Of course I was weaned on old bikes that had drum brakes carburetors you needed to tickle kickstart only and tires that were like hockey pucks. Vibration, what vibration? Lucas the Prince of Darkness was the watchword.

Whereas bad wind can be worse than all wind I feel I cut through it pretty good like never before. It's like having a barn door and a wagon to carry stuff. Now I've worn a brain bucket for close to 45 years but other than that it was gloves a bomber jacket steel-toed engineer boots and Levi's. Some cash in your pocket a backpack Bungie to a little sissy bar with a sleeping bag and gas at $0.35 a gallon you could go far and long but not necessarily in the style and comfort I can do on my FJ it's amazing to me for the money

This is my first fuel injected ABS brake traction control whizbang Wonder.

I'm just learning now after 4 years how to ride it with the proper gearing I have to harken back to my 2-stroke days and keep it singing and actually the gas mileage goes up. LOL

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, keithu said:

My wife and I are watching the 1980 film Flash Gordon

SO cheezy but I loved it when I was younger. 😄

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 hours ago, daboo said:

I was hoping that we'd see some comparison reviews from one of the remaining motorcycle magazines about the bikes in this category.  The Tracer GT obviously.  But add in the BMW F900XR, the Triumph, the Multistrada 950, and the Versys 1000.  Didn't happen.  :(

Chris

I agree, would be nice to see some.  Have to look at multiple 2 bike comparison reviews and interpret.  Hopefully there will be some group comparisons with the Tracer 9 GT.  I remember when the publications used to do sport bike comparisons and would have a whole fleet of bikes.  Wonder if its harder to get test bikes for those reviews with the carefully controlling marketing groups not wanting their bike to be one of many.  

Referring to some of the prior comments about other bikes having blah engines:  IMO the Tracer engine is a jewel and best in class.  I can make a lot of changes to a bike but fixing an engine that is blah is something I can't do.  I see the Tracer 9 GT continuing to refine and make the bike better while keeping a fantastic engine.

• Thumbsup 3

I guess the next thing in the process, now that the bike has been officially announced by Yamaha is for the official press launch/ride whereby all the publications and VLoggers (they seem to be getting invited to these things now too) will release their articles and videos. Not how impartial any of those are - but they're fun to read/watch. 

Or maybe with Covid - they won't be doing that this time around.

Rob 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, keithu said:

The UK still uses miles for speed and distance measurement. 

Miles traveled in US in 2018 vs UK; we go MUCH farther, faster...

UK @ 328 Billion in all of 2018, US 270 Billion in just July 2018!

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/808555/road-traffic-estimates-in-great-britain-2018.pdf

Office of Highway Policy Information

On 11/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, Ride365 said:

IMHO the new F900XR doesn't impress me at all, the GT would eat it alive in so many categories. 

For a bike of that spec and price point, the fact that the front suspension isn't adjustable is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:08 AM, rlambke19 said:

VLoggers (they seem to be getting invited to these things now too)

If the average knowledge and skill level of a vlogger was along the lines of most moto journalists I'd watch more. Sadly most are like this. He blamed the wind which still makes me laugh. 

WARNING: Language in video audio is NOT WORK SAFE

Edited by chitown
Added NWS warning :)
  • Confused 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, chitown said:

He blamed the wind which still makes me laugh. 

The wind?   Yeah... that’s a hard sell.   

Dude got incredibly lucky to survive that one at all, even if it was 100% on him for causing it.   

• Thumbsup 1